Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by triviawayne »

Spoiler
Don't know why nobody here saw it coming...Ellen DeGeneres has been chosen as the next permanent host of Jeopardy.

It's all hush-hush at this point, so don't post it elsewhere.

Why else would she have ended her show...
Spoiler
I really hope nobody takes this seriously
Total game show career losings = $171,522
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:58 pm
Spoiler
Don't know why nobody here saw it coming...Ellen DeGeneres has been chosen as the next permanent host of Jeopardy.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Frankly, the show could've integrated her trap door element long ago.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Looks like Andrew Cuomo may be available soon.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

squarekara wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:31 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:58 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
Frankly, the show could've integrated her trap door element long ago.
Copyright issues with Russian Roulette
Total game show career losings = $171,522
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Faber is immaculate. The only thing I would add is a pocket square.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

econgator wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:08 pm
God, I hope not.
:cry:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yuck.
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

Not thrilled by the news, but not dismayed at the prospect, either.

Besides Ken or Buzzy (or other former contestants), he's got the most connection to the show and its culture, he won't have to essentially make a sweeping career change like many of the other guests/candidates would, and he's relatively unknown which allows him to "become his own person" rather than having to live up to assorted expectations and preconceptions like various celebrities would.

It's always difficult to be the first one to follow a legend, and I think he'd do a good job.
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

Wow, we're getting Dick Cheney'd :p
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here is the poll if anyone wants to see it again or revisit the comments: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6040&p=350979

Looks like I voted an 8 and did not bother to put in my two cents on Mike Richards.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Mike got such a strong "meh" reaction from fans that I'm surprised he was still in the running.

I hate this choice. I don't know how big the selection committee is, but I bet most of them aren't fans of the show.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Mike was fine, im ok with this, but there were better options out there.
radioinsomnia
Contributor

Post by radioinsomnia »

Not only was he one of the least interesting hosts, but a friend has brought to my attention the multiple harassment lawsuits that were brought against him while he was at The Price is Right. Not the best choice for the public face of a gameshow today...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I gave him a six. I got a Guy Smiley vibe from him, too over the top for this format. I hope he drops the Alex quote in his closing remarks.

I can live with it as he wasn’t bad and did seem to respect Alex and the show. Much better choice than Levar, don’t know if I would have kept watching if it was him.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Scenario #1: This is camouflage/deflection to draw attention away from whatever negotiations are now underway with other serious contenders, who are now "on notice" that they don't have a lot of negotiating room now that an insider is a front runner. Richards knows this and will graciously step back into his Executive Producer role when the new host signs a contract.

Scenario #2: This is a de-facto "let's not make a decision" decision. If any other new host is picked and then bombs in the role, it will be a much greater embarrassment and loss to the show than if Richard takes over for a year, and observers see whether the show flourishes or flounders. If the show does as well with Richards as with Trebek, they can leave it alone, but Richards can easily step aside and let the first genuinely "new" host take over in a year or two.

Scenario #3: Behind the scenes, Richards knows the show so much better than any other guest host that his selection is the only one that wouldn't greatly increase the workload of the rest of the staff, risking a drop in quality and/or the need to hire expensive new staff to make up for the time and effort it would take cleaning up after a Burton or other host.

Scenario #4: Richards' agent is doing what all good agents do. Right now, if Richards were to walk away from his Executive Producer slot, both Wheel and J! would likely struggle. This could be Richards threatening to leave if he's not made the new host. Or it could be a public stance to scare Sony executives into renegotiating his Executive Producer contract as favorably as possible.

Let's not forget that Richards is currently Executive Producer of Wheel and J!. I just can't see him becoming host of J! while continuing as Executive Producer of both shows. in fact, if he became host of J!, any new Executive Producer would probably have a hard time getting Richards to cooperate. Unless there are behind-the-scenes shenanigans in which Pat Sajak becomes Host/Executive Producer of Wheel while Richards becomes Host/Executive Producer of J!, it just doesn't seem like a workable change. And even then, doesn't the production company want there to be one Executive Producer of both shows? I can't see host Richards reporting to and deferring to some other Executive Producer. Scenario #3 does worry me a bit, but my guess is that if this isn't outright posturing, it's a sign that Sony executives may want to wait a year or two before handing the show to a new "personality" after Trebek.

Or I could be completely wrong. We'll see.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:32 pm
Scenario #1: This is camouflage/deflection to draw attention away from whatever negotiations are now underway with other serious contenders, who are now "on notice" that they don't have a lot of negotiating room now that an insider is a front runner. Richards knows this and will graciously step back into his Executive Producer role when the new host signs a contract.

Scenario #2: This is a de-facto "let's not make a decision" decision. If any other new host is picked and then bombs in the role, it will be a much greater embarrassment and loss to the show than if Richard takes over for a year, and observers see whether the show flourishes or flounders. If the show does as well with Richards as with Trebek, they can leave it alone, but Richards can easily step aside and let the first genuinely "new" host take over in a year or two.

Scenario #3: Behind the scenes, Richards knows the show so much better than any other guest host that his selection is the only one that wouldn't greatly increase the workload of the rest of the staff, risking a drop in quality and/or the need to hire expensive new staff to make up for the time and effort it would take cleaning up after a Burton or other host.

Scenario #4: Richards' agent is doing what all good agents do. Right now, if Richards were to walk away from his Executive Producer slot, both Wheel and J! would likely struggle. This could be Richards threatening to leave if he's not made the new host. Or it could be a public stance to scare Sony executives into renegotiating his Executive Producer contract as favorably as possible.

Let's not forget that Richards is currently Executive Producer of Wheel and J!. I just can't see him becoming host of J! while continuing as Executive Producer of both shows. in fact, if he became host of J!, any new Executive Producer would probably have a hard time getting Richards to cooperate. Unless there are behind-the-scenes shenanigans in which Pat Sajak becomes Host/Executive Producer of Wheel while Richards becomes Host/Executive Producer of J!, it just doesn't seem like a workable change. And even then, doesn't the production company want there to be one Executive Producer of both shows? I can't see host Richards reporting to and deferring to some other Executive Producer. Scenario #3 does worry me a bit, but my guess is that if this isn't outright posturing, it's a sign that Sony executives may want to wait a year or two before handing the show to a new "personality" after Trebek.

Or I could be completely wrong. We'll see.
Usually when there are leaks like this, the decision has been made, and they are just looking for reaction to the news before announcing it officially. I believe they are going to start taping in the next couple weeks for the new season.

Before the ABC Chasers were announced, there was an article saying Ken, Brad, and James were in negotiations to be the chasers, for instance. Mike is a safe choice, has a good broadcasting voice, kept the game moving, and will not cost Sony as much as some of the other guest hosts, (I know, Ken or Buzzy would not have been expensive, but they are not broadcasters).

I imagine they will announce that Mike will be the exec producer until they can groom someone else to be it, like Harry groomed Mike before he retired. Pat does not even live in California. I don't know if he would want to be exec producer at this point in his career...
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

(remembers having had often considered whom I had believed to have had been the Mike Richards mentioned in this article to had been a favorite a mine for the role of host mentioned in the article (along with whom I had believed to have had been a certain LeVar Burton))*

(*thoughts expressed in the form of a narrative)
Last edited by Mario500 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:32 pm Scenario #2: This is a de-facto "let's not make a decision" decision. If any other new host is picked and then bombs in the role, it will be a much greater embarrassment and loss to the show than if Richard takes over for a year, and observers see whether the show flourishes or flounders. If the show does as well with Richards as with Trebek, they can leave it alone, but Richards can easily step aside and let the first genuinely "new" host take over in a year or two.
That's my hope. There's a saying in sports: you don't want to be the guy who replaces the great head coach. You want to the be the guy who replaces the head coach who replaced the great head coach.

Like others have said, Richards wasn't horrible I just thought there were better options out there.