Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Robert K S »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:36 am I’m looking forward to Mayim Bialik’s episodes. I think she’ll do well.
Of the announced future guest hosts she's the only one I'm interested in.
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:37 am The issue is a 65 year old isn’t likely to be willing to commit to hosting the show as long as Alex did.
That is the primary factor in my mind, but I also think someone who has honed a certain set of (non-quiz-show) hosting skills over a long career is going to have difficulty picking up on all of the little things that a skilled Jeopardy! host needs to do to make the show run smoothly. It's basically the old dog/new tricks problem. Is Couric a quick study at the age of 64? Has she been preparing for the role in the same ways that Jennings was able to?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

While Jennings isn’t a game show host, he is certainly familiar with the game and how it works from having been a contestant in over a hundred games. So I wasn’t surprised he was able to handle the hosting duties.

Couric and Whittaker have interviewed hundreds of people in their career but hosting a fast paced game show is a whole new experience for them. I am also interested in how an actress and a pro football player do at this. It probably helps that Bialik is very intelligent. And Rodgers has been on the show and did attend Cal.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:33 pm While Jennings isn’t a game show host, he is certainly familiar with the game and how it works from having been a contestant in over a hundred games. So I wasn’t surprised he was able to handle the hosting duties.

Couric and Whittaker have interviewed hundreds of people in their career but hosting a fast paced game show is a whole new experience for them. I am also interested in how an actress and a pro football player do at this. It probably helps that Bialik is very intelligent. And Rodgers has been on the show and did attend Cal.
I think Jennings is, more than any other host could be, hyperaware of wagering strategy. That's a huge asset - he's given subtle "good for you"-style commentaries on appropriately aggressive DDs, and understood the dilemma of Friday's tie score going into FJ. I also imagine he inwardly groaned at seeing the all-in wager from third place, but that kinda stuff you have to not show on TV.

Given her neuroscience background, I think Bialik would be a quick study in that same game theory category. And I get how it could intimidate non-math people, since game theory isn't quite the kind of math you get in school. Most people probably can get to the "all-in from second, wager to win by 1 from first" logic, but anything beyond that or involving third place will get a blank stare.

And while he hasn't hosted much on TV, someone posted a local quiz bowl he did after his win. And he's on two other shows - Master Minds and The Chance - where his role may not be a host, but isn't 100% contestant, either.

My guess is the four folks coming on (for a week each, I've heard?) and are getting charity money to match aren't really in the running. With the exception of the 60 Minutes anchor, they all have strong, time-consuming interests outside of J!....although Alex did host Classic Concentration along with J! for a few years, so they can adjust things. My impression is they're fillers - not that they won't be very good hosts. They're there to get eyeballs to the screen, though, and may not be in serious contention.

My other feeling is that Mike Richards is the backup to the backup - if Ken had failed abysmally and had no charisma, and the other invitees either had other commitments for S38 or were just as bad, he could pull a Dick Cheney and take the helm after his 2 week run. He has experience (Pyramid and that other cooperative game show), although he may not be a household name. But I don't think that'll happen. Maybe it's just my own bias, but I haven't heard many serious complaints about Ken. He was a little high-pitched and a little speedy with the clues the first show, but I don't see people noting that quite as much now.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Lore wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:23 am
talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:03 am OTOH, Zach tomorrow? Rude! Imagine battling your way to become a 4x champ, almost making the ToC, and they plop another 4x champ next to you - which applies to both Zach and Brian. And the player at the third lectern? Yikes!
According to the This Week On Jeopardy page, Zach will be back on Thursday, Jan 28.

With him Coming back, i wouldn't be shocked if we have a May Tournament of some kind, but we will see.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What's this I'm hearing about Dick Cheney being the new host?
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:46 pm

My guess is the four folks coming on (for a week each, I've heard?) and are getting charity money to match aren't really in the running. With the exception of the 60 Minutes anchor, they all have strong, time-consuming interests outside of J!...
As far as I know, Katie Couric doesn't have a regular job on television. Bill Whitaker does, in a job that traditionally has kept folks working well into their 80s.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Anderson Cooper had a show on CNN and is also on 60 Minutes.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:10 pm Anderson Cooper had a show on CNN and is also on 60 Minutes.
"Had" a show? Anderson Cooper 360 is on 5 nights a week.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

davey wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:48 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:10 pm Anderson Cooper had a show on CNN and is also on 60 Minutes.
Plus special events hosting, the odd documentary and a daily podcast.
davey

Post by davey »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:54 pm
davey wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:48 pm
Plus special events hosting, the odd documentary and a daily podcast.
Yes. II'm sure he likes working, but I don't think he could fit J! in on a regular basis.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That was a typo. I am aware Cooper’s CNN show is still running.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

They should have Cooper host exactly one Jeopardy show every year and that should be the New Years Eve show.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:05 pm What's this I'm hearing about Dick Cheney being the new host?
Yes. He's going to give it ... a shot.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

harrumph wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:11 pm
They should have Cooper host exactly one Jeopardy show every year and that should be the New Years Eve show.
Andy Cohen comes out and delivers the clue drunk for FJ.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:37 am The issue is a 65 year old isn’t likely to be willing to commit to hosting the show as long as Alex did.
Why is this a qualification for the job? I think the era of people hosting the same show for over thirty years is not likely to endure in the future.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:45 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:05 pm What's this I'm hearing about Dick Cheney being the new host?
Yes. He's going to give it ... a shot.
Don't you think Cheney is a bit too, how should I say this, in-your-face?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

goongas wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:34 am
Why is this a qualification for the job? I think the era of people hosting the same show for over thirty years is not likely to endure in the future.
Just speculation on my part. Heck, we just elected a 78 year old as president over a 74 year old. So maybe they will honor Alex’s wishes and hire Betty White.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Dr Oz? really?

The others Make sense. No Brad it appears. :(
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:09 pm Dr Oz? really?

The others Make sense. No Brad it appears. :(
https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7820