Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

pdano
Valued Contributor

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by pdano »

We don't need Dr. Oz. I doubt they'll change their mind, but this role has to be about trust and sincerity, and I simply don't trust him.
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

I have to say that if I ever see Dr. Oz on television, I change the channel. I don't know if I'll be able to watch the episodes he hosts.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:06 pm More guest hosts announced.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... n-jeopardy
Oh, good grief. Why don't we just have a week of Michael Moore and another one of Sean Hannity? Maybe throw Dr. Phil in there.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

For a show that prides itself on being about knowledge, having a charlatan like Dr. Oz host is some dumb shit. I won't be watching that episode.

This stunt casting is really disappointing. After correctly noting how Alex's presence and consistency were a huge part of what made the show good, they're offering the lectern to any celeb who will take their call.

I sincerely hope "star power" isn't their primary consideration in picking a permanent successor.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Judging from the reaction to their post on Twitter, yeah, that Dr. Oz thing will go down like a lead balloon. I was a little concerned with Bialik for similar reasons - she was borderline anti-vaxx, but she's since backed off of that viewpoint a little, and I think I read that she seems supportive of the COVID vaccine. But all the crazy homeopathy stuff that Dr. Oz recommends? "Like healing like"? Get out. That's literally fighting fire with fire, which, when you think about it, is one of the stupidest expressions out there.

From what I've read, J's decision to put him on as a guest host may have to do with the fact that Dr. Oz's show is conveniently distributed by Sony.

The other three seem fine - the J! team seems to be going for newsreaders, which makes sense considering that their skill set presumably can cross over pretty well with hosting J!. Honestly, I can't imagine any of the new four, or any of the old four, possibly getting the job permanently. I did kind of hope that Anderson Cooper would host, since he does have a connection with the show, even if I can't picture him giving up his CNN gig to host J!.

I think the only legit auditions so far are Ken and Mike Richards. Maybe this new batch of hosts is a reaction to how well Ken is doing - if Ken were a bust, they might have to spend more time searching for hosts that would seriously consider being permanent (Jimmy, Brad, Sarah).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I get they were kind of thrown for a loop when Alex died. But TPTB should have had a better contingency plan in place than than a revolving door of guest hosts.

If Ken hosts five weeks and Mike two that gets us up to February 26. The eight guest hosts get us to April 23.

I don’t have a huge problem with Dr. Oz. I don’t think I have ever seen more than a few minutes of his show haven’t paid much attention to what he had to say about COVID or politics. A quick Google search says they are a little odd, to say the least.

But I thought Ken’s tweets were odd and I have enjoyed him as host. I suppose I can muddle through a week with Oz.

I have seen Dr. Gupta a good bit and I like him. I have advocated Cooper getting a shot so I am excited to see him. No opinion on the lady from the Today Show as I have never seen her but I will give her a shot.

I doubt Gupta gives up his medical practice to host Jeopardy. Oz would be more likely to take it if offered but I can’t see him getting much approval from the viewers. I could see Cooper quitting CNN for this but that’s just a guess.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

The Dr. Oz pushback is less because of "politics" but because he's known for hawking snake oil cures on his show. Miracle diet pills and whatnot.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

zakharov wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:47 pm The Dr. Oz pushback is less because of "politics" but because he's known for hawking snake oil cures on his show. Miracle diet pills and whatnot.
Got it. As I said, I have never watched his show and don’t really pay attention to what he has said.

Someone mentioned Dr. Phil. I think any reasonably intelligent person could give out decent advice on a talk show. You aren’t going to cure lifelong problems in an hour minus commercials. But nobody is going to watch unless they have Dr. in front of their name.
yclept

Post by yclept »

If I am not mistaken, Dr. Oz may have read some clues in the past (and I wouldn’t be surprised if there have been categories dedicated to him). Also, he talks about being around Alex during Alex’s cancer fight:
https://fox40jackson.com/entertainment/ ... e-fighter/

I don’t mind the guest hosts. We will probably be surprised on how many of them do a good job.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

It's really disappointing that Dr. Oz is on the list.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
goongas

Post by goongas »

I think some of the choices that are not the prime anchors of their shows (like Dr. Sanjay Gupta) would consider a permanent hosting gig. They would make a lot more money at it, with less working days.

They should have Jeff Foxworthy host a week, just to balance out the politics, at least a little. He has hosted a couple of quiz shows before (The American Bible Challenge and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader), so he would get up to speed really quickly.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:34 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:06 pm More guest hosts announced.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... n-jeopardy
Oh, good grief. Why don't we just have a week of Michael Moore and another one of Sean Hannity? Maybe throw Dr. Phil in there.
Just my gut feeling, but if they worked for Sony, there is a good chance they would be hosting.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Picked Off wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:34 am It's really disappointing that Dr. Oz is on the list.
Agreed 100%. If a contestant puts down "What are raspberry ketones?" or "What is green coffee bean extract?" for FJ!, I will personally double their winnings. A much more deserved jab than the H&R Block one for Ken....
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sanjay Gupta seems like a good choice. He's comfortable in front of the camera and comes across very likeable as well as knowledgeable.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:30 pm Sanjay Gupta seems like a good choice. He's comfortable in front of the camera and comes across very likeable as well as knowledgeable.
I like him as well but wonder how he will handle the hosting format, my main concern with all of them.

The rotating hosts and the backlash over Oz makes me wonder. Players will show up not knowing who the host will be. Some may have a genuine distaste for one of these hosts. I certainly wouldn’t refuse to go on because of the host but might someone do that? Would they let them come back another day or would the player just be out of luck?
yclept

Post by yclept »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:00 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:30 pm Sanjay Gupta seems like a good choice. He's comfortable in front of the camera and comes across very likeable as well as knowledgeable.
I like him as well but wonder how he will handle the hosting format, my main concern with all of them.

The rotating hosts and the backlash over Oz makes me wonder. Players will show up not knowing who the host will be. Some may have a genuine distaste for one of these hosts. I certainly wouldn’t refuse to go on because of the host but might someone do that? Would they let them come back another day or would the player just be out of luck?
Something tells me that they won’t let players change dates due to the host.

While the guest hosts don’t bother me, I can see how a champion can be impacted. Imagine sweeping a week of Samantha Guthrie shows only to run into Anderson Cooper for the next taping. Many good champs talk about getting into a rhythm with the host, and no two hosts are going to be exactly the same when it comes to clue delivery....
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

clprez wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 pm I have to say that if I ever see Dr. Oz on television, I change the channel. I don't know if I'll be able to watch the episodes he hosts.
For episodes hosted by Dr. Oz, the usual prescription drug ads (Xeljanz, Humira, etc.) need to be replaced by ads for hydroxychloroquine, magic healing crystals, and patent medicines from the 19th century.
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

If Dr. Oz clears the bar, why not Jerry Springer? He is far more erudite than this show would indicate, and probably would like the chance to host something more along those lines.

Why not former President Bill Clinton? He's been featured in clues before, and would probably get a kick out of it.

Why not Reggie Miller? He seemed quite erudite in The Last Dance. Of course, if he is allowed to host Michael Jordan might take it personally, and wind up producing a separate quiz show to compete with Jeopardy.

Why not Tom Cruise? He has said he wants to stop doing action movies after turning 60, so hosting Jeopardy would be a good transition for him.

Why not Anthony Jeselnik? He is more erudite than his stand up act implies; and, moreover, most stand-up comedians are actually very intelligent (cf. Celebrity Jeopardy).

Why not Emily Ratajkowski? She is quite intelligent as well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Watch me skate by with no Katie contestant during her week or Bill/Aaron during their weeks, but run into a player Sanjay, Mayim or Mehmet. :)

The roulette wheel is most likely to hit a Mike during Richards's weeks while I'm not sweating a Savannah or Anderson to compete.

When it gets to late March and archiving the Dr. Oz week do I refer to him for clue comments as Mehmet or as Dr. Oz?
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:27 pm Watch me skate by with no Katie contestant during her week or Bill/Aaron during their weeks, but run into a player Sanjay, Mayim or Mehmet. :)

The roulette wheel is most likely to hit a Mike during Richards's weeks while I'm not sweating a Savannah or Anderson to compete.

When it gets to late March and archiving the Dr. Oz week do I refer to him for clue comments as Mehmet or as Dr. Oz?
Either way, you must precede it with "The Great and Powerful".