Fun with ABC's "The Hustler"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Fun with ABC's "The Hustler"

Post by reddpen »

was not had by this viewer.
In and out of the pool four times
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Hustler"

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Disappointing that Tiffany and Rachel originally had the correct person and lost $40,000 each.

If only this were like the UK show "The Enemy Within" where a final decision was made immediately.

What I don't understand is during the elimination rounds, how do they know which one is the Hustler's paper and who to eliminate?
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was entertained enough by it for one night, but not enough that I have any feelings of anticipation for future episodes like I do with The Chase. If I do watch it again, it'll probably be because of Chase-related inertia.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:29 am What I don't understand is during the elimination rounds, how do they know which one is the Hustler's paper and who to eliminate?
The papers probably have identifying marks, or else their cameras show who's writing whose name.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

reddpen wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:03 am was not had by this viewer.
Make that two of us. It was agonizingly slow - ten questions in one hour?

The set is a bit hokey, too - not at all what I expected.

I guess if I want to watch people vote each other out, I'll watch survivor and not a trivia show.
--
Drowning in the pool
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:54 am I was entertained enough by it for one night, but not enough that I have any feelings of anticipation for future episodes like I do with The Chase. If I do watch it again, it'll probably be because of Chase-related inertia.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:29 am What I don't understand is during the elimination rounds, how do they know which one is the Hustler's paper and who to eliminate?
The papers probably have identifying marks, or else their cameras show who's writing whose name.
I just figured either the ballots were pre-marked with the voter's name or the Hustler's ballots are marked with invisible ink that's fluorescent under a UV light backstage.
--
Drowning in the pool
Jurimetrician
Contributor

Post by Jurimetrician »

"Half-baked" is the word I'd use to describe this one.

1. The "up-teched Victorian drawing room" theme is distracting rather than immersive, and stuff like the bookcase exits feels hokey. Contemporary set or retro clothes on the contestants.

2. The eliminations to get from five to three feel like they belong to a different show. I'd rather start with three and end with three, and focus on their personalities all the way through.

3. The "facts about the Hustler" thing got old quickly.

4. "The Enemy Within" (as mentioned) and "Dirty Rotten Cheater" already did "one contestant already knows all the answers," and better.

5. Some of the questions had zero play-along value. By the second nutritional question, I was going, "How could I know this, and why would I care?"

6. As mentioned, only ten of them in an hour-long show.

This one just didn't come together. As much as I love Craig Ferguson, sorry, I've got better shows to watch.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

reddpen wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:03 am was not had by this viewer.
Saw the ad for this show sometime earlier last night... Looks like a made a good decision to do exactly what I did with the Survivor phenomenon: I voted it off my TV halfway thru the first ad I saw.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Watched the first two episodes back-to-back on my DVR.

It’s rather interesting and I enjoyed the first episode. But by the second episode, I kinda got a bit distracted by it.

I think I made the right decision turning off my TV after The Chase ended.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ep. 2 had the bank at $40K after 9 questions as the Hustler let 5 incorrect answers get in. Q 10 is double up to get the total up to a more respectable $80K.

The show with all the personal clues related to the hustler has me not liking that I find myself sometimes thinking of gender and racial misconceptions. Sloppy near empty fridge? Gotta be a dude. Lots of sneakers? Gotta be Erica because that reminds me of Andre on black-ish. Don't touch shower curtains? Has to be a woman.

Rachel was the only one I never felt matched any of the clues.

The show must not be so good as it's unusual for me to let nearly three days go by without watching it while I watched WoF and The Chase the same night of its airing like I'm going to do with Millionaire soon.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I like it for the guessing aspect of the show.

I was so convinced it was Rachel. She was barely participating for much of the show, leading me to believe she just let them drown on some of those questions rather than speak up. For the final question, she had the final say and was pretty emphatic about what answer to lock in. I also pegged her as having a gymnast-like body type. Although I don’t recall a “Rachel” on past Olympics teams, they do have alternates. Oh well - I was way off on that one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I watched tonight for the first time. I don’t think there will be a second viewing. A scaled down version of The Mole but not as interesting. Ferguson seemed to do a good job as host but that was about it.

There was an early question about the Hustler being recruited to work in China. But the two Asian players were kicked off. Not getting that strategy.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:08 pm I watched tonight for the first time. I don’t think there will be a second viewing. A scaled down version of The Mole but not as interesting. Ferguson seemed to do a good job as host but that was about it.

There was an early question about the Hustler being recruited to work in China. But the two Asian players were kicked off. Not getting that strategy.
Let's say you are the hustler and you know all of the questions (and answers) coming as well as the "fun facts" about the hustler. You have control over who to bring to the end.

We saw how the hustler played it and it half worked, but the principal was persuasive enough to get Ulysses to change.

If the hustler plays it to leave Stephanie and Andrew instead then imagine the end voting. Is Andrew going to believe young Stephanie for all of the hustler facts that are revealed by the end? I say no way. For the reverse is Stephanie going to match Andrew with two lady friends? Not to mention that billiards room and the Porsche. The wide range of languages and all that souvenir junk? No way. They would have both gone Sue.

I thought it was plausible to spin the facts to pin it on Ben and Ulysses did bite. But the hustler should have realized that with Ben not being the hustler and that as the elder statesman of the group, who is a principal, that he would be the most likely to be able to sway the younger folks.

Sue needed to play much more aggressive at the end to try to convince Ulysses he was making a mistake. Instead it was more like she was busted and took the medicine. Nothing Sue or Ulysses said would have convinced Ben to switch as he knew he had the hustler pegged.

Through the game I was leaning Ulysses the most until the two travel dates. That tilted my scale heavily to Sue and then I definitely thought it was her when I saw the wood collection.

I wish viewers could see a Craig vote for hustler guess at each elimination too see how early and often he's right or wrong. And if he switches.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I thought it was each of the 3 finalists at different times. I did think it was Sue when the show opened. I enjoy this show to some degree. Sue did supply most of the answers towards the end. And good for Ben as he pointed out that it’d be more likely for a woman to test drive two guys to figure out who to keep, I’m not sure that’s true but it swayed Ulysses.
LucarioSnooperVixey

The funny thing is, Geraldine's last name was Ferrara. Off by one letter and confusion ensures.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Delta goes to Nollywood. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:37 am Delta goes to Nollywood. ;)
The 6/24 ep. had me shout out NFW. Only I didn't use an acronym. The ending left me as surprised as I've ever been watching the show.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was really surprised too! I thought it was the long haired creepy guy. Kara was great at playing innocent.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Rick Riordon’s new book out now. “Percy Jackson Goes to Medical School.”
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

This is most likely the easiest question the show has had so far.
Attachments
7E7BE7A4-898B-439B-A6BE-153C37E6FC9F.jpeg
7E7BE7A4-898B-439B-A6BE-153C37E6FC9F.jpeg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Douglas Squasoni