Monday, January 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

A Wray wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:59 pm
Don't Think Twice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm I'm a bit puzzled about folks being distracted by KJ's "higher pitch" voice. What are they going to say when a woman is an interim host?
What is bothering people about Ken's voice isn't the pitch, it's the timbre. It's thin and reedy. If, say, Anne Murray were hosting, no one would complain that her voice was too high.

But I thought he did great for a first episode.
Anne Murray! That's it! We have to hold out for Anne Murray. Keep a Canadian at the podium.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:18 pm And Alvin & The Chipmunks, which was the brainchild of Ross Bagdasarian (performing as David Seville) who also recorded the song "Witch Doctor" (Oo-ee, oo-ah-ah, ting-tang, walla-walla, bing-bang). Although I think what was done in that case was intentionally sing at a very slow cadence and then adjust the tape speed, thus making the tempo sound normal, but making the pitch higher.
That is true. Play a 33 at 45, and both the pitch and speed are raised. Play a 45 at 33, and you have instant vaporwave. (Once I heard a DJ up in Marquette accidentally play an entire Dolly Parton 45 at 33. This was before that meme of slowing down "Jolene", by the way.)

Play a Chipmunks 33 at 16, and you get to hear what the vocal tracks sounded like unaltered... but then the instruments are a slow, nightmarish drone. So in other words, instant sludge metal.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:12 pm It is possible to tweak the speed without tweaking the pitch or vice-versa. I can do it on my laptop in Audacity. I know it was possible to change pitch without changing tempo even in the 60s, because that effect is used on "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!"
Huh, I could have sworn I heard "Napoleon XIV" himself say on the Doctor Demento Show that he did that with his own voice, but the Wikipedia article explains the studio trickery used. I was confused, because the article says he found he could use equipment to raise pitch without changing tempo, then it says he recorded the vocal on a multi-track tape with the percussion track in headphones and gradually adjusted the playback/recording speed while changing the pace of his vocals to stay with it. But I realized that that whole process is itself the "raise pitch without changing tempo"; it was an effect done in the course of recording rather than by alteration of already-recorded sounds (which is what Audacity does now).
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:40 am I'm sure BHO is the only one I'd want to hear sing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN05jVNBs64
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:31 am On a scale of "Never Watch Again" to "Won't Affect My Viewing One Bit", Ken was absolutely at the far end of the "Won't Affect". I thought his pace was fine, and yes his voice is a bit high. That's easy enough to adjust if you want to put in the effort. My radio voice was deeper than my normal speaking voice (though not to extremes). His tribute at the beginning was nicely done. He generally acquitted himself admirably.
Catching up on DVR after a few days away, so this is a little late, but you pretty much described my own reaction (though I don't have a radio voice).

Very good start, and though Ken's tenor is certainly a noticeable change, I think I may be able to get used to it. I did appreciate the focus on the game and the quick pace.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:56 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:10 pmThis is the domain of TPH
I've spent four years trying NOT to listen to Trump's voice...
Maybe he will spend a couple of weeks as a guest host at Jeopardy. He's got the time, and he has game show experience from over a decade of hosting The Apprentice. I wonder if his habit of repeating adjectives would be too annoying for Jeopardy. "Covid is a terrible, terrible thing." "No that's very, very wrong. The correct answer is feldspar."
And the repetition is usually of a handful of adjectives. Everything is "strong," "horrible," or "big and beautiful."

For a person who talks as much as he does, he's actually a man of few words.

He just doesn't know many different ones.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.