Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9220
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:24 pm
Oh, one of them gets sick and dies.
Beth.

It's actually a really good book.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8644
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 pm
Do you know anything about the book? I've never read it, saw the movie once, but only one of the sisters fits the category.
It's one of those things that comes up all the time, yet no information about it has ever managed to stick. I think it's because with some things, so many facts come up so often that it's usually longer before any of the repeated information can build up. Same reason it took forever for anything Lord of the Flies-related to stick in my brain; it just felt like a different fact about it came up every single time. One fact showing up ten times, or even two showing up five times each, will build up the recall a hell of a lot faster than one fact coming up twice and nine others coming up only once each.

Of course this is TPH recall we're talking about, so I could have seen one fact 16,289 times and still not had it stick...
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:16 am

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rackme32 »

Anyone see something wrong in this clue?

"Monarchos in 2001 & this horse in 1973, still the record holder, are the only horses to run the Kentucky Derby in under 2 minutes."
Spoiler
The response taken (Secretariat) is still correct even if the clue were given properly, but the clue should actually have read "Monarchos in 2001 & this horse in 1973, still the record holder, are the only horses to WIN the Kentucky Derby in under 2 minutes."

In finishing 2nd to Secretariat, Sham also broke 2 minutes.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm
Funny that once again Lucy missed in a lock while her opponents both got it.
I'm wondering, could this be strategy?...
DBear wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:39 pm
trash: ... 1500 meters (doesn't anyone know metric?) :x ...
I mostly know metric. I don't know race lengths :lol:
(Me: "What's the longest race shorter than 1700 meters?..." (In my haste at clue time, I inadvertently used yards) I likely would've said 1,000m if it was a DD.)

Negged with Bosphorus for the Hellespont. :oops:

Good FJ. I like when it takes me a little time.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Green Room (8), Showgirls (6), Free State of Jones (6), Captain Fantastic (9)

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 pm
Do you know anything about the book? I've never read it, saw the movie once, but only one of the sisters fits the category.
It's one of those things that comes up all the time, yet no information about it has ever managed to stick. I think it's because with some things, so many facts come up so often that it's usually longer before any of the repeated information can build up. Same reason it took forever for anything Lord of the Flies-related to stick in my brain; it just felt like a different fact about it came up every single time. One fact showing up ten times, or even two showing up five times each, will build up the recall a hell of a lot faster than one fact coming up twice and nine others coming up only once each.

Of course this is TPH recall we're talking about, so I could have seen one fact 16,289 times and still not had it stick...
So then you should accept that some things just don't stick for you and you aren't necessarily the best judge of what is over or undervalued.
Now swimming in the J! pool.

BrigadierSolo13
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:40 am

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Having a 2 year-old = slam dunk FJ

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 957
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

FJ! was an instaget - the year didn't help me at all, but The Very Hungry Caterpillar was the only book I could think of with holes, and it seemed famous enough that it's the only possible correct response. And, just to confirm my answer, I -DID- type it out, including the "very". Would have been sad if someone wrote down "The Hungry Caterpillar", which is a perfectly reasonable title.

Literally within the past 2-3 days, I think I saw the same Matchbox Cars question on Master Minds. Can anyone confirm? Ironically, it did NOT stick.

In "Selective BMSing", I present Rosenberg. There were literally two of them, and the Curies get BMSed, don't they? I buzzed anyway, and would have failed on the BMS - for some reason, Ethel stuck with me, but not Julius. We can also file this clue under "Things I remember from 'We Didn't Start the Fire'".

The "No, that is correct" moment is Ken's best moment so far. It played out perfectly. If he can have one of those moments per week, Ken has my vote.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4232
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

AntmanB wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:32 pm
We went 4 games before having Unread Clues in the Jennings Era. Not too bad if you ask me.

The 2nd Daily Double in DJ was either Templar or Round Table. sadly i chose the Latter. Ive seen TS 3 and 4 and couldnt get Buttercup.

If there's negbait to that clue I'd say it was the Knights of Malta. The Knights of the Round Table, if they existed at all, were in the 5th or 6th C.
Somehow I passed on The Very Hungry Caterpillar in my youth and ever since.... A hole in my knowledge...:oops:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10530
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

talkingaway wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:45 pm
FJ! was an instaget - the year didn't help me at all, but The Very Hungry Caterpillar was the only book I could think of with holes, and it seemed famous enough that it's the only possible correct response. And, just to confirm my answer, I -DID- type it out, including the "very". Would have been sad if someone wrote down "The Hungry Caterpillar", which is a perfectly reasonable title.

Literally within the past 2-3 days, I think I saw the same Matchbox Cars question on Master Minds. Can anyone confirm? Ironically, it did NOT stick.

In "Selective BMSing", I present Rosenberg. There were literally two of them, and the Curies get BMSed, don't they? I buzzed anyway, and would have failed on the BMS - for some reason, Ethel stuck with me, but not Julius. We can also file this clue under "Things I remember from 'We Didn't Start the Fire'".

The "No, that is correct" moment is Ken's best moment so far. It played out perfectly. If he can have one of those moments per week, Ken has my vote.
The Rosenberg clue specifically said it was a man.

A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by A Wray »

A Wray wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:04 am
The writers, in the last few years, have often used definitions that are a different part of speech from the word being defined. It's really sloppy.
The name of this dessert made with sponge cake also means "of little importance"
Grrrrrr

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

A Wray wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:15 pm
A Wray wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:04 am
The writers, in the last few years, have often used definitions that are a different part of speech from the word being defined. It's really sloppy.
The name of this dessert made with sponge cake also means "of little importance"
Grrrrrr
When is a noun not a noun? When it's a trifle?
I don't get it...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Green Room (8), Showgirls (6), Free State of Jones (6), Captain Fantastic (9)

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4232
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

A Wray wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:15 pm
A Wray wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:04 am
The writers, in the last few years, have often used definitions that are a different part of speech from the word being defined. It's really sloppy.
The name of this dessert made with sponge cake also means "of little importance"
Grrrrrr
Maybe they're saving space. I might read that as [something] "of little importance". But to be honest, I didn't pick it up, so maybe the grammar was why...

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5314
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:39 pm
1500 meters (doesn't anyone know metric?) :x
I couldn't believe all three negged badly on that one! :D

AntmanB
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AntmanB »

davey wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:47 pm
AntmanB wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:32 pm
We went 4 games before having Unread Clues in the Jennings Era. Not too bad if you ask me.

The 2nd Daily Double in DJ was either Templar or Round Table. sadly i chose the Latter. Ive seen TS 3 and 4 and couldnt get Buttercup.

If there's negbait to that clue I'd say it was the Knights of Malta. The Knights of the Round Table, if they existed at all, were in the 5th or 6th C.
Somehow I passed on The Very Hungry Caterpillar in my youth and ever since.... A hole in my knowledge...:oops:

And that tells you how much I know about history. 😂😂😂

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

Brett's game just came right off the rails after he got the rebound on the Declaration of Independence.

Peeved that they didn't finish the AUTOMOBILES category. Lucy took a silly guess at the 2000 clue, then managed to snipe the Ford clue to bail out of that category with time running out. :x I'll be rooting against her now.

yclept
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:43 am

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

Speaking of horse races, I realize that Sony may have their vision for who the next host should be but if Ken wants the job, he is jumping out to a five length lead before the other horses even leave the gate. He has been very impressive.

Lucy’s grind it out win was impressive. Turning that into a runaway was especially impressive. Given what she did in her first game, I was sure she would go TDD on DD3. Guess she didn’t have the comfort level with the category.

User avatar
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 824
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woppy T »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:42 pm
DBear wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:39 pm
1500 meters (doesn't anyone know metric?) :x
I couldn't believe all three negged badly on that one! :D
I had to chuckle at the thought of a 10 meter race.

DanKirshner
Contributor
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DanKirshner »

After four Ken games, I would be pretty happy if he becomes the permanent host. Having seen the names of some of the upcoming guest hosts, and I think some of them may be quite good, I wouldn't be surprised if I still want Ken to become permanent after the parade of guest hosts. I'm not sure if Ken would want the job, though.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8291
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm
Funny that once again Lucy missed in a lock while her opponents both got it.
I'm wondering, could this be strategy?...
Just in case someone didn't see the previous day's game
Throwing $2 on Wednesday at this strategy is one thing. $5200 in this game seems like more than most contestants would be willing to spend for a debatable advantage.
Volante wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 pm
Negged with Bosphorus for the Hellespont. :oops:
Similar here, but Bosporus. Looks like either spelling/pronunciation is acceptable. I always forget about the Dardanelles.

User avatar
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Picked Off »

A lot to write in 30 seconds, but I was happy to get FJ since the Eric Carle Museum is in our coverage area and always on my radar.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan

Post Reply