Friday, January 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Friday, January 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

trainman wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:47 am I have someone to whom I text the FJ! category and clue every night. She got LBJ immediately. I said only one of the contestants got it correct, and she responded, "The other two need to watch 'The Crown.'"
We finally got to that episode ... last night. A few days late. Crud.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:36 pm I took 15 mental guesses, but none were LBJ or JFK. Ended up with a blank screen.
Same for me lol.

A fine end to the “thunderclap” era (CBS is getting its logo changed the next episode).

7/10 (B)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I’m another who found this FJ annoying. It asks of the player, in 30 sec, to recall which of her kids is the youngest, to then recall their age or birth year and then finally to place that year n the correct administration. That lady task should be easy for anyone who passes the test, but the first two are by no means common trivia nuggets.
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

I hate the bloody queen (question)!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 am
And I don't know the capital of American Samoa. Using the old blonde joke, it must start with AS and I can finish the blanks to make a guess :).
I only learned it because of Doonesbury -- Uncle Duke was governor of AS in a major story arc some decades ago. We come by knowledge via many routes.........
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*blows a little dust off the thread*

Well this would've been useful two weeks ago!
https://gizmodo.com/royal-family-docume ... 1846157328
In June of 1969, the BBC aired a documentary titled “Royal Family” that didn’t go over well with Buckingham Palace. In fact, Queen Elizabeth II banned the film and it hasn’t been seen since 1972. That is, until it was uploaded to YouTube this week.
But the film does have immense historical value, with scenes of the Queen meeting with prime ministers from Jamaica and Tanzania. There’s even a scene of Queen Elizabeth meeting President Richard Nixon and having a casual conversation about travel, TV, and how much more complex the world had become since he last visited the UK in the 1950s.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:24 am *blows a little dust off the thread*

In June of 1969, the BBC aired a documentary titled “Royal Family” that didn’t go over well with Buckingham Palace. In fact, Queen Elizabeth II banned the film and it hasn’t been seen since 1972. That is, until it was uploaded to YouTube this week.
But the film does have immense historical value, with scenes of the Queen meeting with prime ministers from Jamaica and Tanzania. There’s even a scene of Queen Elizabeth meeting President Richard Nixon and having a casual conversation about travel, TV, and how much more complex the world had become since he last visited the UK in the 1950s.
The making of that film was an important part of the plot for an episode of "The Crown".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:08 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:24 am *blows a little dust off the thread*

The making of that film was an important part of the plot for an episode of "The Crown".
True, but you wouldn't get the Nixon bit from the episode, so it'd still take Season 4 math to rule him out.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I read the other day LBJ didn’t attend Churchill’s funeral due to being ill at the time. Earl Warren was the official US rep. So that kept him from meeting her majesty.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Continuing to go through the episodes of The Crown - not exactly binging - I was struck by how much in the LBJ episode called "Margaretology," even more than the one with JFK, led to the correct response here.
Spoilers for The Crown-
Spoiler
First, the Brits express scorn for the idea that LBJ was sick for Churchill's funeral. Then LBJ himself says he wants nothing to do with The Special Relationship. He colorfully (not in J! terms) refuses an invitation to go to England to meet the Queen. So Princess Margaret, already in the US, is dispatched to the White House for a dinner. She charms LBJ (in the person of Helena Bonham Carter it's not hard to see why) and he agrees to the "bail-out" that Great Britain has been seeking. And QEII stews over her glamorous sister's success...
So it's never stated that they never met, but it can be inferred from this episode.