Thursday, January 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, January 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:39 pm At one time they were even applying this to McDonald's, but they relaxed that rule
I imagine if forced to comply, McDonald's would have locally shortened their name to McDo ("mick-DOUGH"), which is how they are known colloquially in France.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:01 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 pm In 1999 they spotted the contestants Canticle and wanted Leibowitz. TS. In 2008 they spotted the contestants Leibowitz and successfully got Canticle back. For one of the greatest literary sf books and hands down the greatest post-nuclear holocaust book ever.
I won't argue, Canticle is on my list of favorites. But I'd put it and On the Beach together in the top three in the post-WWIII genre.
On the Beach is on my list to read but I haven't gotten to it yet. It's possible that I'll be forced to revise my opinion.
I should read On The Beach because Nevil Shute was an aeronautical engineer, and as an aerospace engineer I feel obligated to the community of aeronautical and aerospace engineers to support them when feasible ;) but I haven’t yet.

I do love A Canticle for Leibowitz though. Miller wrote some other good short stories and novellas, such as the Hugo-winning The Darfsteller.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:36 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:01 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 pm In 1999 they spotted the contestants Canticle and wanted Leibowitz. TS. In 2008 they spotted the contestants Leibowitz and successfully got Canticle back. For one of the greatest literary sf books and hands down the greatest post-nuclear holocaust book ever.
I won't argue, Canticle is on my list of favorites. But I'd put it and On the Beach together in the top three in the post-WWIII genre.
On the Beach is on my list to read but I haven't gotten to it yet. It's possible that I'll be forced to revise my opinion.
I should read On The Beach because Nevil Shute was an aeronautical engineer, and as an aerospace engineer I feel obligated to the community of aeronautical and aerospace engineers to support them when feasible ;) but I haven’t yet.
Read it. It affected me greatly. Far better than the movie version, IMO.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:26 pm I didn't care for Alas, Babylon. It seemed kind of cartoonish and airport novel-y to me. I felt the characters were two-dimensional and Frank didn't convince me that he'd thought through the manner and degree to which life would change after a nuclear war.
I read it circa 1987 or 1988, when I was 13 or 14 -- it was required reading in my junior high social studies class (in no small part because I was in school in Tampa, which is specifically mentioned in the book). Some parts of "life after nuclear war" did seem reasonable to me, and those that didn't, I probably attributed to the difference between "what we know in the '80s" versus "what we knew n the '50s."
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Missed A Stream of TV $400-$800.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sprint, Golden Triangle, Hailee Steinfield, The Hate U Give, Girdle, Cartel, New Brunswick, Jamestown, Crystal, Cane Toad, James & Dolley Madison, Larval Stage
Douglas Squasoni