FJs for the 1/18/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/18/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:49 pm

In 2017 this New York City luxury store opened its first cafe, with truffle eggs, waffles & croissants on the menu
88%
Adjusted for inflation, the nightly rate this company put in its name in 1962 is now $51
78%
About 100 miles apart, they were made state capitals 10 years apart in 1854 & 1864 & both grew rapidly due to precious metals
83%
When Agatha Christie disappeared for 11 days in 1926, this British fellow writer tried to find her with the help of a spiritual medium
70%
Statues honoring this man who was killed in 1779 can be found in Waimea, Kauai & in Whitby, England  
87%
In October 1961 Stalin’s body was removed from display in this other man’s tomb  
91%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all six above.
46%
:( :( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues & the tiebreaker clue.
No votes
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues, but did get the tiebreaker clue correct.
No votes
"G"-OGRAPHY $1600: K2 is also known as this, from the name of the mountain's original surveyor
30%
FICTIONAL CHARACTERS $1600: In "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", he gets himself transferred into the psychiatric hospital for "fun & entertainment"
45%
COLLECTING $1000: This term for a collector of seashells can also refer to a scientist who studies them
30%
My correct response for the Monday FJ! clue included "Company" or "Co".
3%
I have stayed at a Motel 6.
53%
My incorrect response for the Tuesday FJ! clue was Super 8.
5%
My incorrect response for the Tuesday FJ! clue was something with "Dollar".
5%
I had Sacramento though not Carson City for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
I had Carson City though not Sacramento for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
3%
I had Denver and/or Cheyenne as part of my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
3%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue with at least one city that is not a capital city.
3%
I have set foot in Sacramento.
30%
I have set foot in Carson City.
10%
CANADIAN PLACES $1600: A city in New Jersey has the same name as this province, Canada's only officially bilingual one - Oops, I negged with Quebec.
44%
I missed the Thursday FJ! clue with a guess of someone who was already deceased in 1926.
2%

Total votes: 93

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 1/18/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE SETTINGS

1/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2017 this New York City luxury store opened its first cafe, with truffle eggs, waffles & croissants on the menu

1/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE BUSINESS OF TRAVEL

1/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Adjusted for inflation, the nightly rate this company put in its name in 1962 is now $51

1/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE WESTERN U.S.

1/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
About 100 miles apart, they were made state capitals 10 years apart in 1854 & 1864 & both grew rapidly due to precious metals

1/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH WRITERS

1/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When Agatha Christie disappeared for 11 days in 1926, this British fellow writer tried to find her with the help of a spiritual medium

1/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATUES

1/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Statues honoring this man who was killed in 1779 can be found in Waimea, Kauai & in Whitby, England

1/22 TIEBREAKER CATEGORY
HISTORY

1/22 TIEBREAKER CLUE  
In October 1961 Stalin’s body was removed from display in this other man’s tomb

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Tiffany & Co. (Tiffany's)
Motel 6
Sacramento & Carson City
Arthur Conan Doyle
(Captain) Cook
Lenin
The players were 11/15 (73.33%) with a 3-2-3-1-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested triple stumper followed by two other triple stumpers.

"G"-OGRAPHY $1600: K2 is also known as this, from the name of the mountain's original surveyor

FICTIONAL CHARACTERS $1600: In "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", he gets himself transferred into the psychiatric hospital for "fun & entertainment"

COLLECTING $1000: This term for a collector of seashells can also refer to a scientist who studies them

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Mount Godwin-Austen
Randle McMurphy
conchologist

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 1/18/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tiffany’s
Never stayed at Motel 6
Only been to Sacramento
Negged with Quebec
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :( :mrgreen:

Just Tiffany's.
Have stayed in a Motel 6 many times
Haven't been to either Sacramento or Carson City.
I knew it wasn't Quebec, but I wasn't sure which it was.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :(

I have probably stayed at a Motel 6, but can't say for sure.
Don't think I've made it as far north as Sacramento. Definitely not Carson City.
And yes, Quebec.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ( :mrgreen: )
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|

And still no 8/8 this season

Mon - Tiffany's

Nope-tel 6
Been to Sacramento (thrice) but Carson City was just driven through once. I think I blinked, cause I missed it.
Quebec
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :| :|
Can't remember when, but pretty sure I stayed at a Motel 6.
Fell for the Quebec negbait :oops:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ( :mrgreen: )
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|

Been to Vegas, but not CC. Never been to California.
No Motel 6.
Said Quebec.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

I'd much rather have my shot at only my second-ever perfecto ruined on a Thursday than on a Friday. Will I ever get another 5/5?

I knew both Godwin-Austen and Randle McMurphy but couldn't pull either in time. Conchologist was a WAG.

Not only have I stayed at a Motel 6, I'm pretty sure I've written at least one J!Board post from the room of one.

However, I have not been to Sacramento or Carson City.

I said Quebec.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Left a blank page on Tuesday. Don't think I've ever stayed at a Motel 6.

Knew "Godwin" for the K2 clue, but didn't know the second part so I clammed.

The only U.S. states I've been in are along the East Coast.

I live about an hour's drive away from New Brunswick and have visited the province many times over the years. No way I'm missing that one.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

Didn't even realize I had earned the brag box until just now.

Have stayed at a Motel 6.

Never been to the state of Nevada.

Been to California, but only San Jose. (Would love to have a reason to visit beautiful Culver City.... :D )
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knowing about the falling out Houdini and Doyle had over belief in the supernatural (Houdini didn't, Doyle did) helped me get FJ on Thursday.

I got the tiebreaker as well, but didn't feel like representing it with a smiley.

I think my choir once stayed at a Motel 6 on a tour, during which we went to Sacramento, coincidentally enough. (I went to Sacramento once before that, on a family road trip to Oregon in 1991.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:45 pm Knowing about the falling out Houdini and Doyle had over belief in the supernatural (Houdini didn't, Doyle did) helped me get FJ on Thursday.
Wasn't it more that Doyle was easily fooled? Houdini definitely didn't discount the supernatural. He wasn't a James Randi style skeptic so much as a constantly disappointed seeker. He wanted to believe. But everyone who said they could hook him up turned out to be a fraud. But as far as I know he never came to the conclusion that all supernatural claims were bunk. He told his wife that if he died first and could get a message to her from the other side, it would be "Rosabelle, believe." No one else knew this. She held several seances after his death, but none of the media gave her the code phrase so she knew they weren't really in contact with him.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:54 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:45 pm Knowing about the falling out Houdini and Doyle had over belief in the supernatural (Houdini didn't, Doyle did) helped me get FJ on Thursday.
Wasn't it more that Doyle was easily fooled? Houdini definitely didn't discount the supernatural. He wasn't a James Randi style skeptic so much as a constantly disappointed seeker. He wanted to believe. But everyone who said they could hook him up turned out to be a fraud. But as far as I know he never came to the conclusion that all supernatural claims were bunk. He told his wife that if he died first and could get a message to her from the other side, it would be "Rosabelle, believe." No one else knew this. She held several seances after his death, but none of the media gave her the code phrase so she knew they weren't really in contact with him.
I don't think there's much difference between someone who doesn't believe and someone who wants to believe and is continually let down. As for Doyle, he ended up believing that every time Houdini claimed to debunk spiritualists, he was actually using his own supernatural powers to block theirs. So I suppose characterizing the dissolution of their friendship as an issue of disagreement is actually putting it mildly.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kind of froze up on the Wed clue..., spent most of the :30 trying to recall the NV capital... :oops: If that had come easily, I probably wouldn't have written Denver for the other one...
At least I had no problem setting New Brunswick in New Jersey...
I remember interstate travel staying at Day's Inns when I was a kid, not Motel 6, and Ionging for the luxury - and swimming pool - of the Holiday Inn... ;)
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Played Tuesday off the Clue of the Day. Eventually came up with Motel 6, but not anywhere near 30 seconds. Very few in my part of the country. Never stayed in one and can't remember the last time I even saw one.

Think I said Virginia Woolf Thursday. Conan Doyle did not come to mind. I think I assumed he was dead by then.

Grew up in NJ, my brother went to school in New Brunswick, and I have spend a fair amount of time in Canada, so I did not get this one wrong.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :x :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:x :mrgreen: :x

I have stayed at a Motel 6.

As I said before, I put down Reno because I am an idiot. Glad I missed Thursday with a dead guy so it didn’t cost me a perfect week.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My stay at a Motel 6 was decidedly not voluntary, but there were no alternatives in the middle of nowhere.

I once drove from Sacramento to San Francisco. It was about an hour-and-a-half drive. When I left Sacramento, it was 105. When I got to San Francisco, it was 55. And virtually no change in altitude (except in between).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:29 am I don't think there's much difference between someone who doesn't believe and someone who wants to believe and is continually let down.
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I think James Randi's skepticism or Penn Jillette's is a whole different breed from Houdini's.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

"All six correct" is polling at over 50% so far, so it may not be as much of a distinction as I had hoped.

Got McMurphy, knew K2 had another name but no way I was going to recall it. NHO conchologist to the best of my knowledge. Evidently, neither has my spell checker.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.