Monday, January 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea, these 2 on opposite sides of it are the smallest & largest in area

Brian Chang: 20200+8201=28401 (5X = $116,503)
Madeline Johnson: 9400-2801=6599
Elliott Kalan: 14200-4601=9599

Correct response:
Spoiler
Algeria & Monaco (Madeline – Libya & Monaco) (France and Gre)

Daily Doubles
Brian: 3600+3600
Madeline: 4800+3000
Elliott: 5800+4000

Coryats
Brian: 17200
Madeline: 8000
Elliott: 11400

Combined: 36,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brian: 9400
Madeline: 2800
Elliott: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A certain level of fame for Elliott going into J!:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Kalan
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1308394/

Brian led 9400 to 2800 to 2600 entering the DJ! round.

Brian negged the opening $2K clue while Madeline rebounded it. Madeline then found DD2 on her next pick and added 3000 to suddenly lead 7800 to 7400. Through the rest the round Brian was able to build his way towards 20200 without the help of the last DD.

I've seen some players falter after a lead switch while Brian seems to take deficits and errors in stride without it affecting his game.

The FJ! clue had me knowing the country for the large part to salvage a half right. From there I only pictured west to east for the opposite. Without ever thinking about the Middle East I narrowed my guess to Croatia (the one I added) and Albania after eliminating Turkey & Greece.

If I had properly processed where to check for the second half I have no way of knowing if I would have stumbled into a solve or still been way off.

Great solve by Brian to crash through the front door and earn the all important fifth victory on his way to jumping past many players on the tracker.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

On a side note, for those who aren't aware, Zach Newkirk will finally be returning to the show this Thursday!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mostly done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6920

I know the TAEKWONDO is a mess and there is extra jazz in the FJ! round. It can wait till later this afternoon.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

For Final, i Put Egypt and Cyprus, Egypt is too far east Sadly.

Lach Trash - Flaming Hot

Congrats to Brian on being the First 5 day Champ of the Post Alex era.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Medieval Times,
Daily Doubles: :D :( (guessed The Mikado) :D
trash: Warsaw, Flamin' Hot, Beijing, sandstone, Saladin :o , Orange Order,
FJ: Yuk. Had France & Lebanon. :oops:
I did not care for these boards. :?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $38,400 (45 R, 1 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Felt a little off my rhythm on these boards. Negged with viejo for añejo - the latest example of where knowing a medium amount of Spanish is worse than knowing none at all.

Managed to reason my way through FJ in about 5-10 seconds.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Missed all of the J round due to the reading. Couldn't they just have done that tomorrow when they swore everyone in? Obviously not.

For FJ, I started with the smallest, which quickly gave me Monaco. From there, it was easy to get the African country to match.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Monaco pretty quickly and tried to picture the Northern Africa map in my head to figure out which one is biggest and lucked out with the right country. I did consider Libya and held my breath when Madeline’s question was revealed.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

After some random flailing I realized the small country had to be smaller than Malta for the clue to be correct. That's pretty darn small so I didn't waste my time thinking about countries like Montenegro or Tunisia. Monaco came pretty quickly. (Belatedly I remember some quiz show in the 80s asking which was bigger, Monaco or Ronald Reagan's ranch outside Santa Barbara. The answer in predictable "If you have to ask..." form was Reagan's ranch.) That left North Africa for the big country. I was pretty sure of my guess of Algeria, but did worry a little bit about Libya.

I'm assuming, by the way, that Montenegro is ruled out only due to its size and not also due to the fact that it borders the Adriatic rather than the Mediterranean? I think of the Adriatic as a subset of the Mediterranean, but maybe I'm wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 pm After some random flailing I realized the small country had to be smaller than Malta for the clue to be correct. That's pretty darn small so I didn't waste my time thinking about countries like Montenegro or Tunisia. Monaco came pretty quickly. (Belatedly I remember some quiz show in the 80s asking which was bigger, Monaco or Ronald Reagan's ranch outside Santa Barbara. The answer in predictable "If you have to ask..." form was Reagan's ranch.) That left North Africa for the big country. I was pretty sure of my guess of Algeria, but did worry a little bit about Libya.
For fun, I looked it up: Reagan's ranch, 688 acres; Monaco, 518 acres.
I'm assuming, by the way, that Montenegro is ruled out only due to its size and not also due to the fact that it borders the Adriatic rather than the Mediterranean? I think of the Adriatic as a subset of the Mediterranean, but maybe I'm wrong.
Not sure why it would ever be ruled in.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:30 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 pm I'm assuming, by the way, that Montenegro is ruled out only due to its size and not also due to the fact that it borders the Adriatic rather than the Mediterranean? I think of the Adriatic as a subset of the Mediterranean, but maybe I'm wrong.
I am confused by this statement. I'm asking about ruling it out, not in, and whether there is more than one reason to do so.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:36 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:30 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 pm I'm assuming, by the way, that Montenegro is ruled out only due to its size and not also due to the fact that it borders the Adriatic rather than the Mediterranean? I think of the Adriatic as a subset of the Mediterranean, but maybe I'm wrong.
I am confused by this statement. I'm asking about ruling it out, not in, and whether there is more than one reason to do so.
Wasn't sure why you were asking about Montenegro at all, but to answer the questions, it fails both tests -- way larger than Monaco and it's on the Adriatic (which is an arm of the Med, but it isn't the Med).
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

It gets a little dicey there with Adriatic vs. Mediterranean. I don't think you'd say Venice is "on the Mediterranean." The other seas within the Mediterranean are closer. Personally, I'd say the Balearic, Ionian, and Tyrrhenian are just fancy names for sections of the Mediterranean. The Aegean is hand-wavey, but I'd lean toward no. To me, it'd kind of be like saying the Gulf of Mexico is part of the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe it is, technically, but would you really say Houston is on the Atlantic Coast?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was stuck on Tunisia as the smallest for a while, and then while I was trying to figure out whether France or Italy was bigger, I started wondering whether Algeria (which I knew is Africa's largest country, so no Libya concerns here) was bigger than either of them, and then I thought of Monaco and realized I needed to swap continents.
AntmanB wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:27 pm For Final, i Put Egypt and Cyprus, Egypt is too far east Sadly.
Egypt is on the Mediterranean. It's not too far east, just too small.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

At some point Ken should make a "Ken Jennings" reference about a superchamp the way that Alex did.
davey

Post by davey »

Since I have trouble visualizing the world map in my head, I'm particularly proud of getting this FJ, just by picking the largest and smallest countries that I thought were on the Mediterranean...I was far from sure about Algeria especially...Whew!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

My wife correctly identified Algeria as being largest, but I was fixated on Israel as being the smallest and couldn’t think of a smaller country on the N coast. Bah!