Monday, January 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, January 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:58 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:36 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:30 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 pm I'm assuming, by the way, that Montenegro is ruled out only due to its size and not also due to the fact that it borders the Adriatic rather than the Mediterranean? I think of the Adriatic as a subset of the Mediterranean, but maybe I'm wrong.
Not sure why it would ever be ruled in.
I am confused by this statement. I'm asking about ruling it out, not in, and whether there is more than one reason to do so.
Wasn't sure why you were asking about Montenegro at all, but to answer the questions, it fails both tests -- way larger than Monaco and it's on the Adriatic (which is an arm of the Med, but it isn't the Med).
I'd disagree. I think countries on the Adriatic should definitely be considered in play for this clue. The Adriatic is part of the Mediterranean.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:01 am
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:58 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:36 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:30 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 pm I'm assuming, by the way, that Montenegro is ruled out only due to its size and not also due to the fact that it borders the Adriatic rather than the Mediterranean? I think of the Adriatic as a subset of the Mediterranean, but maybe I'm wrong.
Not sure why it would ever be ruled in.
I am confused by this statement. I'm asking about ruling it out, not in, and whether there is more than one reason to do so.
Wasn't sure why you were asking about Montenegro at all, but to answer the questions, it fails both tests -- way larger than Monaco and it's on the Adriatic (which is an arm of the Med, but it isn't the Med).
I'd disagree. I think countries on the Adriatic should definitely be considered in play for this clue. The Adriatic is part of the Mediterranean.
J! isn't 100% consistent on this.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5849 , A TRIP TO ITALY $200 , outright neg on Mediterranean
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3528 , LIVED BY THE SEA $2000 , BMS

The only real cite I can see in clear favor of including the Adriatic is this FJ but it's actually NatGeo saying it
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5050
EUROPEAN CITIES: National Geographic says the site of this city is "the largest wetland in the Mediterranean"
Spoiler
Venice
But, yeah, it is more academic to whether the Adriatic is included or not as it doesn't change the response either way.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I gotta say, even though I failed miserably at it, I loved the 4-LETTER BEFORE & AFTER category. A fun twist on an already fun category, I just could not wrap my head around it.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Two important bits of information for this final. Algeria is the largest country in Africa, it has been since 2011. Sudan used to be larger but after South Sudan split off, Algeria became #1. Second, for the most part everything in Africa is larger than everything in Europe. The Mercator projection we all grew up with overexaggerates Europe's size because it is so far north of the Equator. France and Spain seem like very large countries but Algeria is more than 4 times larger than both. 24 African countries are larger than France and Spain.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Loved Ken's off-the-cuff response to Elliott's Kierkegaard answer.

LT: anejo, Flamin' Hot Cheetos (also on LL today), Beijing; sandstone, Saladin
I wonder if Ken remembered Saladin, which stumped him and his opponent on an early episode of Master Minds.

Wasn't Baskin-Robbins (my first employer, btw) prevented from selling Pink Bubblegum ice cream for a time in the '70s because bubble gum wasn't really food, or was that just a rumor we made up to explain its seasonal absence? Think of all those indigestible pink wads stuck in young bellies for seven years. (NB: that's just a rumor.)

Congrats to Brian for win #5 and locking in that ToC berth whenever that happens.
In and out of the pool four times
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i've said, many times in many different places, "comcast sucks!"
but credit where credit is due.
jeopardy! is carried at 7pm on my local abc station. tonight's episode was pre-empted by some political non-important event, involving a bunch of impeachment managers carrying a piece of paper from the house to the senate, and (surprise!) then reading it.
but comcast did provide a note in their chyron advising what obscure local channel was available to watch the show as it was broadcast.
p.s. i'm a lifelong democrat who knew long ago, without any doubt at all, that don_the_con is the worst president in history, and deserves to serve the rest of his life in prison, with a prohibition against ever holding any other federal office.
but i didn't need to see that.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $45,000
52 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: añejo, Warsaw, Flamin' Hot, Beijing, sandstone, Saladin, Orange Order

I'm about a week behind, so this was my first time seeing Brian. He didn't seem to jump off the screen as being dominant, but he was certainly the superior player throughout the game.

4-Letter Before & After was a fun twist on one of my favorite categories.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alan tiger wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:34 am i've said, many times in many different places, "comcast sucks!"
but credit where credit is due.
jeopardy! is carried at 7pm on my local abc station. tonight's episode was pre-empted by some political non-important event, involving a bunch of impeachment managers carrying a piece of paper from the house to the senate, and (surprise!) then reading it.
but comcast did provide a note in their chyron advising what obscure local channel was available to watch the show as it was broadcast.
p.s. i'm a lifelong democrat who knew long ago, without any doubt at all, that don_the_con is the worst president in history, and deserves to serve the rest of his life in prison, with a prohibition against ever holding any other federal office.
but i didn't need to see that.
As a big history buff I did enjoy seeing the process but I don’t think it was worth interrupting regular programming.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got Algeria right away but couldn't get away from Malta. It didn't seem right but I knew the Vatican and San Marino aren't on the ocean. I didn't think of boneco In Time.

I wish we could see more of Madeline!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Welcome to the 5-timers, Brian! 🎉

9/10 (A-)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

As for FJ, my wife and I were debating whether Algeria or Libya was larger. I knew Malta was smaller than any country on the African side. Was thinking Monaco was land-locked. Duh! Forgot about all those tourist photos of the harbor from the hills in Monaco.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

In addition to confusion over the various sub-components of the Mediterranean, it's tricky to refer to 'opposite sides' of a shape that is so irregular. In running this question by other people, they variously thought of Egypt/Cyprus, France/Israel, etc as 'opposite sides'. Obviously wrong for other reasons, but that part didn't help.

For my part, I considered everything from Gibraltar to Dardanelles (or should it be Bosporus???) as fair game. There must be some objective criteria (hydrologically distinct bodies of water?) to help draw these boundaries.

Also wouldn't affect this answer, but isn't there some claim that San Marino makes (or has made in the past) to having a corridor to the Adriatic coast? I've got some vague memory of that, but a cursory Google search doesn't confirm.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mahatma wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:39 am Also wouldn't affect this answer, but isn't there some claim that San Marino makes (or has made in the past) to having a corridor to the Adriatic coast? I've got some vague memory of that, but a cursory Google search doesn't confirm.
I don't know about was, but it is most definitely landlocked. It's also 30x the size of Monaco.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anyone else guess "reposado" rather than "añejo" for the Spanish word meaning aged? Obviously my tequila knowledge is better than my Spanish knowledge. Apparently reposado means "rested." which makes sense. Reposado tequilas are aged in oak barrels for at least two months and less than a year. Añejo tequilas are aged from one to three years.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mahatma wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:39 am In addition to confusion over the various sub-components of the Mediterranean, it's tricky to refer to 'opposite sides' of a shape that is so irregular. In running this question by other people, they variously thought of Egypt/Cyprus, France/Israel, etc as 'opposite sides'. Obviously wrong for other reasons, but that part didn't help.
I get France/Israel, but I'm not seeing how Cyprus is a possibility. It can't possibly be on the opposite side of the Mediterranean from anything. It's surrounded by the darn sea.

Israel is problematic for a different reason. Palestine is smaller. Imagine if one contestant said France/Israel and another France/Palestine. Do the judges rule one right and the other wrong? Which way do they go? Do they rule both right? It's a PR disaster. Ergo, France/Israel can't be right regardless of the status of Palestine.

I'm curious if anyone who got one of the two was thrown by the "opposite sides" stipulation? E.g. you guessed Monaco/Turkey or Algeria/Israel.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 pm (Belatedly I remember some quiz show in the 80s asking which was bigger, Monaco or Ronald Reagan's ranch outside Santa Barbara. The answer in predictable "If you have to ask..." form was Reagan's ranch.)
I once had to visit a site on a ridge in the Santa Ynez mountains above Santa Barbara. On the way, we passed his ranch. It's pretty far out of the way and up in the mountains. And the road after that got really hairy. One of the scarier drives I've been one. I went to Google Maps to see the road, and oh, the views! This was straight from Street View.

Santa Ynez Mountains.png
Santa Ynez Mountains.png (550.3 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:31 am I'm curious if anyone who got one of the two was thrown by the "opposite sides" stipulation? E.g. you guessed Monaco/Turkey or Algeria/Israel.
I guess I was. I got Monaco right away, and immediately looked east instead of south. I ended up with Egypt as my second guess, and that's after I crossed out an initial second guess of Turkey.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

The Talking Mime wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:22 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:31 am I'm curious if anyone who got one of the two was thrown by the "opposite sides" stipulation? E.g. you guessed Monaco/Turkey or Algeria/Israel.
I guess I was. I got Monaco right away, and immediately looked east instead of south. I ended up with Egypt as my second guess, and that's after I crossed out an initial second guess of Turkey.
I sorta was... At least, I took a second to decide whether "side" in this case mean east/west or just opposite sides. I decided correctly and hopped on Monaco and mentally looked South. Unfortunately, my knowledge of Northern Africa geography pretty much starts and stops at Egypt. So, that's where I went. My camel is still going...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I think 'opposing' would have worked better than 'opposite' in the FJ phrasing, though I can't put my finger on why.
Agrajag
Contributor

Post by Agrajag »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:45 pm A certain level of fame for Elliott going into J!:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Kalan
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1308394/
Wow, I thought his voice sounded familiar but because of the impeachment pre-empting I didn't catch his last name or realize that was Elliott from The Flophouse!

Any chance you could post the interviews for those of us who missed the J! round, please?