Wednesday, January 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE WILD WEST

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 legends both known for buckskin clothes & long, flowing hair met violent ends 38 days apart, in Montana & South Dakota

Brian Chang: 16600-0=16600 (7X = $163,904)
Alex Cohn: 15600-15000=600
Erica Holencik: 7000-6950=50

Correct response:
Spoiler
(George Armstrong) Custer & (Wild Bill) Hickok (Brian – Hickock & Crockett) (Alex – Custard and Sitting Bull) (Eric – Wild Bill + Sitting Bull)

Daily Doubles
Brian: 3400-3400
Alex: 3800+3800
Alex: 13600+2000

Coryats
Brian: 20000
Alex: 12600
Erica: 7000

Combined: 39,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brian: 1800
Alex: 1400
Erica: 4200
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Request "Mixed up Buffalo Bill Cody and Wild Bill Hickock" on the weekly poll. (Shame on me.)

Got Custer though, thanks to Montana. Absolutely should not have missed the Deadwood part of the clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the credits brigade - Full alert

Nobody knew the Black comedian pictured? Wayne Brady gonna hafta choke a...

Alex got both DD2 and DD3 right yet still trailed for the FJ! round. Tsk, tsk. It did not matter today while in other scenarios it could have been a costly mistake.

Brian was less than stellar in BOOKS BY PRESIDENTS including losing it all on DD1. When the FJ! category was shown I thought to myself that perhaps Brian should wager nothing as I suspected history in the 1800s was lacking for him. If you don't know some basic stuff about presidents or Pavlovs such as Iowa then WILD WEST could be even more troublesome.

The FJ! category had me try precalls of everything but the right guys as I had Cody with the Pony Express, who shot Billy the Kid, who shot Jesse James, Dodge City, Tombstone, Earp(s), Younger and even Belle Starr

The FJ! clue was a no doubter for names and spelling as the states seemed like basic connections. It was not until seeing the player responses that I began to realize that the clue was not as easy as it appeared upon Ken revealing it.

Even though the clue played rough on the show I'm still liking over 60% on the weekly poll.

The show caught a break that Alex's unacceptable misspelling of one name did not matter in the game results as well as Erica's not specific enough on the other end not making a difference as well.

As for Brian's wrong half? Damn, dude, you're going to the TOC and have Crockett buying it in either MT or SD? If that is an Alex Jacob mind move you fooled me.

For tomorrow I think I hear both Michael Buffer and Jimmy Lennon Jr. getting the crowd pumped.

Zach Newkirk was invited back for this week with lead time. Neither he nor the show powers knew there would be a superchamp at the waiting.

Stuff happens and it may not always seem fair.

7xer draws returning 4xer
4xer returns and draws 7xer in trying to make ToC after long layoff
First-timer draws 7xer & 4xer

It was not planned; it's just how the cards fell. Online opinions will be voiced and forums will see action. I'll enjoy reading while not really caring about the outcome tomorrow no matter how it goes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm Request "Mixed up Buffalo Bill Cody and Wild Bill Hickock" on the weekly poll. (Shame on me.)

Got Custer though, thanks to Montana. Absolutely should not have missed the Deadwood part of the clue.
Wow, really? Perhaps even my 60% optimism is too high if somewhat home field advantage does not help.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:51 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm Request "Mixed up Buffalo Bill Cody and Wild Bill Hickock" on the weekly poll. (Shame on me.)

Wow, really? Perhaps even my 60% optimism is too high if somewhat home field advantage does not help.
My problem was I started with Buffalo Bill and Wild Bill, then realized what Montana was, and then mentally "crossed off" the wrong guy.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I went with Custer and Crazy Horse, because I associate Crazy Horse with SD even though if I'd have thought more carefully, he died in NE and in 1877. He did have flowing hair and die violently, though.

I'm predicting this will poll at <40%, but >85% will have gotten at least one of the two (poll request!)
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Got FJ. Because I've seen Little Big Man.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:49 pm Even though the clue played rough on the show I'm still liking over 60% on the weekly poll.
If you say "wild west Montana" I'm going to pavlov "Custer's Last Stand". If you way "wild west South Dakota" I'm going to pavlov "Deadwood/Hickok/Dead Man's Hand". All the rest of the clue is worthless filler.

It's interesting how most contestants know the above information, but when faced with a clue with so many potential misdirects, they fail to properly process the important stuff. In a vacuum it should poll over 90%, but most people don't function in a vacuum.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Gotta Love The Jeopardy Writers Sometimes.

Well, i got Final Half Right. The Hickock Part.

Gutsy Wager by Brian on Final There, and now we get out MIni TOC Tomorrow. Also Longer Credits today i see!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $42,400 (51R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :( Custer and Crazy Horse

Finally cracked $40k and 50R for the first time in a week, and whiffed on a very gettable FJ. Totally missed the word "British" in Corsican $2000, otherwise it would have been a layup.

Given the FJ miss, obviously nowhere near sniffing a 4th podium victory.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Did Brian really bet nothing in FJ? :shock: Playing from archive
runs: State Caps, Could You?, Sci & Nature,
Daily Doubles: :D :( (Tiber) :D
trash: Santa Fe, naughty, bogus, Grant DD, Krishna, Hoover, SimCity, George III.
shoulda got Ford. 8600 trash + FJ gives the win. ;)
FJ: Instaget for me. :mrgreen:
Calling out our favorite penguin! :lol:
judges: morticians for undertakers :?:
I was sure Brian would lose today as I didn't think they would throw Zach against a superchampion :o
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm Got Custer though, thanks to Montana. Absolutely should not have missed the Deadwood part of the clue.
I had a nice vacation planned out for last May -- obviously cancelled -- where I was going to start in Rapid City, SD, visit Deadwood and then a couple days later, drive across Montana to get to Yellowstone. On the way, I was planning on stopping at the Little Bighorn battle site. Needless to say, this one came pretty easily.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ha! Master Minds had a Custer Q today.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:41 pm judges: morticians for undertakers :?:
undertaker/mortician/funeral director are all good.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I like it when chat time comes up in a later clue.

Two groups you need to know on Jeopardy are US presidents and British monarchs. That could hurt Brain in the TOC (or tomorrow) against top notch players.

I knew Custer but not Hickock. Didn’t know Bill had long hair or what he wore. Guessed Billy the Kid although I was pretty sure the year and state were wrong. (He was killed in New Mexico in 1881). I like US history but the old west isn’t an era that ever interested me.

Gutsy wager by Brian.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Nope on FJ!. Never been into legends of the Wild West, but I did know that Deadwood was in SD and is associated with Wild Bill and the dead man's hand, so I got that part right. I know it's Custer and not Custard, but the location of Custer's Last Stand was lost to me after eighth grade history - if I ever knew it back then.

Major carnage for me on the GRAMM "E" category, considering pop music is usually a good topic for me. I got Eagles, and then just stood and stared - I knew Eilish, but couldn't get Ariana Grande out of my head. Rapper with "E"? Too distracted by Easy-E, but didn't buzz. I do -know- Eminem, but I don't think I could have gotten to him for just being a 6 time winner. I'd need something more concrete, like Stan or his former feud with Elton John.

Returning champs should either play the first 1x champ on their two days of taping, or play on the second day's last show - the latter for practicality. I assume this week's episodes were taped on day 1 of a two-days-a-week cycle, since it's Ken's third week. TPTB should have held the returning champ until Brian was dethroned or until next Friday, but whatever.
DBear wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:41 pm judges: morticians for undertakers :?:
Google says yes, so go for it. I get no credit for gravedigger, whose patron saint is Anthony of Egypt, not St. Joe. I guess logically speaking, the undertaker/mortician would have more need for a body than the gravedigger, but if I took that long to think out every response, I'd be sitting at the fourth podium.