Friday, January 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:49 pm
Not good for me as I sheeped with the contestants in having nothing better occur to me other than common Irish counties such as Clare and Cork. The name I tried to recall, but was nowhere near was Ulster.
I realize you didn't mention this to show off your knowledge, but I don't think a county can really be classed as a better guess than the wrong city. As for Ulster, it is one of four provinces that Ireland (the island) comprises. They are of mostly historical significance today, and the political entity of Northern Ireland actually consists of but six of the nine counties that constitute Ulster.

By the way, my poll suggestion is "I said 'Derry' vs."I said 'Londonderry'".

I'm quite familiar with the song by KC and the Sunshine Band , but "Bootes" the constellation did not ring the most distant bell. "Antares" was gettable etymologically, I suppose.

The hot rumor back in third or fourth grade was that Terry Jacks killed himself after recording "Seasons in the Sun". We didn't know the concept of a "cover", let alone that this was such.

I think "wooden nickel" or "plugged nickel" (among others, likelily) are perfectly valid responses to "to phrase a coin" $1200, as the metaphorical use of "colorful" is at least as common as the literal one (I'd have placed "colorful" in quotes). As for betting "dollars to doughnuts", a more pertinent fact regarding its first appearance is that it would have meant laying odds in those halcyon days.

Beersheba, nope. If forced, I'd have guessed Hebron.

ETA--Yes, Cork is also a city, and one of the largest on the island.
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:09 pm Poll requests seen for the coin clue and biblical place.

I clammed on quarter and negged with Ur. Since I was not 5/5 on the FJ! clues I don't mind the extra clues being ones I did not get.
Guessed Gilead for Beersheba.
Heck, Led Zeppelin had a song called "No Quarter" :geek:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:26 pm"Antares" was gettable etymologically, I suppose.
Or if you remember your past FJs: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5671

Another Belfast here. Unfamiliar with (London)Derry as a city.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

32R. 2/4 on big clues. I said San Martin instead of Saint Martin. A few minutes of research has utterly confused me about the variations of Saint, San, Santa, and Santo. The familiar Pink Floyd song San Tropez, referencing the French town Saint-Tropez, is not helping to clear things up. I thought about Ulster but thought that was a province. I considered Cork and Belfast and went with Belfast. I've heard of Derry, Ireland before. I know I've had the thought "Hey there's a Derry that's not from Stephen King" and that's the extent of what I remembered. Several good opportunities to learn about things.

The poet category was a big miss for me and that's usually an easy category. I did not know that T. S. Eliot wore green face paint and it doesn't show up on his Wikipedia page. I guessed Byron instead of Keats and missed Omar Khayyam. I'll definitely get those next time. I also missed Whigs and McClellan which should be lay-ups.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:52 pm I said San Martin instead of Saint Martin.
Eh, the French pronounce "saint" in a way that sounds like "san"; you could probably get away with it.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

TV Tropes enhanced my life for FJ! I used the short form.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Count me in as another person that went for Belfast.

5/10 (C)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've seen quite a few episodes of Derry Girls and still went with Belfast. For some reason I was thinking Derry was a county rather than a city [apparently it's both].
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Put me in the "I can name exactly one town in Northern Ireland" category, and it was the same town that all the contestants named. NHO Derry/Londonderry, and in many of the J! archival hits, it's a superfluous bit of info.

I got Antares etymologically, and the fact that it was the name of a ship in a cheezy ABC sci-fi drama about 10 years ago called Defying Gravity didn't hurt.

I also picked up Lach Trash on truth/beauty, because those were older names of top/bottom quarks. It seemed to fit in with the clue, although I don't think I'd heard of the poem.

Picked up honor code too, because today I literally saw a clip of Mike Pompeo talking about how, as part of the CIA, he lied, cheated, and stole, referring to West Point's honor code. Same honor code as the Air Force, and as my high school.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

rockyboy34 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:37 pm Count me in as another person that went for Belfast.

5/10 (C)
How does your rating system work?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I don't think I would have able to contain myself from saying "WHO IS DICKY V, BABY?!" instead of just Vitale.

POET-POURRI was the best of WAGs for me as I ran the category with 4 unsure yet semi-confident responses for the top 4 clues. I knew Khayyam stone cold though.

Feel free to laugh at me, but I had never heard of Antares, so when pressured for a rival of the god of war, I went with Kratos. :?

Belfast here as well.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

for FJ i know that belfast is the obv one to go for, and its usually wrong, so i had no answer.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Count me as yet another sheep in FJ! I have heard of Londonderry. But if pressed, I would have placed it on the neighboring large island to the East. Didn’t know it had a short form in common use.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I put Belfast but I was pretty sure it was wrong but I couldn’t name another city in Northern Ireland. I figured if Belfast had two names I would have heard about it.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:49 pm Not good for me as I sheeped with the contestants in having nothing better occur to me other than common Irish counties such as Clare and Cork. The name I tried to recall, but was nowhere near was Ulster.

It's impossible to see all the streaming shows that hit my radar while I do try to sample some. Perhaps if I had ever gotten around to seeing an episode of the Catholic school girls sitcom that takes place in the right place and time then that could have been enough.

I'd like to think the writer(s) were coming at the clue only from a historical standpoint and nothing to do with whatever is being viewed at home.
Or, given their apparent love for The Crown, they are suggesting that future contestants watch a lot of Netflix.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Beersheba is pretty much the only sizable town in the Negev. The only other places to know would be Eilat on the Gulf of Aqaba, and Dimona, home of Israel's nuclear research center.

On FJ, I went, "Belfast is also called Londonderry? Huh. OK, I'll go fancy and say Londonderry." Nice save, Andy. Then after Ken said "Derry" I remembered.
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

As a kid, (attempting) to learn piano, the song "Londonderry Air" was one of my early practice pieces. Despite my hilarity, then, and now, of referring to the piece as "London Derriere," I still struck out.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I'm bucking the trend with my FJ response of Donegal. Alas, Donegal is in northern Ireland, but unfortunately not in Northern Ireland :lol:
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Donegal is one of the most beautiful counties in Ireland. I visited Ireland right after 9/11 & at the Irish Famine Museum we heard horror stories from an older Irishwoman about crossing the border. It made my uncle not want to go into Northern Ireland at all. Well, on the way up to Donegal we missed a turn and ended up driving into NI. We realized our mistake as we pulled into a town full of Union Jacks. We beat feet out of Enniskillen which was actually very pretty.

Since then I’ve done a GoT tour of NI. Anyway, Derry was an jnstaget. My travels have helped as St. Maarten is an island I’ve been there twice. The bridge between the territories is cool.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Early 20th American poet who became a British citizen? I swatted away green face powder to get to T.S. Eliot.

I knew Shelley died in Italy but didn’t think it was in Rome. Prob would have bit anyway though

+1 never heard of that quarter phrase
+1 Belfast