Friday, January 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cthulhu »

I also said “plugged nickel” for the coin $1200 clue; nickel is used as a color name, but somehow I think TPTB would not accept it :(
Also sheeped with Belfast.
And loved the category title shout-out to fabulous ’70s power pop band Big Star and their first album titled “#1 Record”. RIP Alex Chilton.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Like Morbeedo, I disregarded the green face and went with "transplanted American poet in London" as a identifier for Eliot.

Poets/poetry is definitely NOT a wheelhouse category for me, but I was surprised to run the category with three triple stumpers. Also ran Caribbean with another two triple stumpers. That doesn't happen often.

Played FJ on the Jeopardy site NYT page before watching the episode, and wrote both as "Derry/Londonderry." I think I probably knew it before visiting a few years ago, but it definitely sticks after circumnavigating the city walls, seeing the huge wall murals in Bogside, and walking across the Peace Bridge between Waterside and Cityside (lots of "sides" in the town). Like doriko, I'm familiar with "Londonderry Air" (same melody as "Danny Boy") and also chuckled at the pun way back when -- seemed deliciously naughty to a tweener.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:51 pm I also said “plugged nickel” for the coin $1200 clue; nickel is used as a color name, but somehow I think TPTB would not accept it :(
I marked it wrong at the time, but I intended to go back and double check the wording in case I missed another pin.

In this case they'd have to accept it; colorful is a pure TOM: it's not in quotes and it doesn't pin the clue. No reason not to interpret it as metaphorical. Probably a neg followed by an overturn, though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey

Post by davey »

The phrase "no quarter" was in the news in the summer of 2020 when Sen. Tom Cotton used it in referring to events in Portland and elsewhere. It was quite controversial. To keep this non-political, I'll link to an article in popculture.com-
https://popculture.com/trending/news/se ... reactions/
If asked, I would not have been 100% sure Derry and Londonderry were the same place, but I knew I had seen both names in connection with The Troubles, so it seemed the right choice for this FJ. I have never seen an episode of "Derry Girls."
Last edited by davey on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Since we're throwing out quarters, my all time favorite use is from Buckaroo Banzai where John Lithgow, acting with pieces of the set stuck in his teeth, yells out "Massacre them without a quarter!"

...can't find a clip of it. Text simply does not do it justice.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:04 pm
cthulhu wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:51 pm I also said “plugged nickel” for the coin $1200 clue; nickel is used as a color name, but somehow I think TPTB would not accept it :(
I marked it wrong at the time, but I intended to go back and double check the wording in case I missed another pin.

In this case they'd have to accept it; colorful is a pure TOM: it's not in quotes and it doesn't pin the clue. No reason not to interpret it as metaphorical. Probably a neg followed by an overturn, though.
Why is a plugged nickel "colorful"? I'd call it mundane. It's a real object that's not worth anything. Since every player is expected to understand J!-speak, I don't think they'd "have" to accept it.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Keats died in Rome. Shelley died in Northern Italy on a boat ride down the west coast from Livorno to Lenci. His body washed up a good bit north of there in Viareggio, so location of death is uncertain. He and two companions met up with a storm in his boat, the Don Juan. He'd had the boat outfitted with additional top masts so he could go faster than Byron's boat, the Bolivar. Yes, Shelley had the boat named after the Byron poem, not Byron. I don't know if he pronounced it Don JOO-un as Byron did. Anyway, those extra masts are probably what led to the boat's capsizing.

Elizabeth "Mark" Barrett Browning died in Florence. Her husband Robert later died in Venice.

Byron, by the by, died in Greece. Always had to be different. It was closer to the Hellespont, I guess.
Volante

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:20 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Why is a plugged nickel "colorful"? I'd call it mundane. It's a real object that's not worth anything. Since every player is expected to understand J!-speak, I don't think they'd "have" to accept it.
Doesn't matter. Rule is if it fits the clue, it's allowable, and colorful is not a strong enough pin. There's been a couple clues in the past that would similarly apply, but my search-fu isn't strong enough.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:17 pm Since we're throwing out quarters, my all time favorite use is from Buckaroo Banzai where John Lithgow, acting with pieces of the set stuck in his teeth, yells out "Massacre them without a quarter!"

...can't find a clip of it. Text simply does not do it justice.
When all 6 continents fail you, try the seventh.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:39 pm
davey wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:20 pm Why is a plugged nickel "colorful"? I'd call it mundane. It's a real object that's not worth anything. Since every player is expected to understand J!-speak, I don't think they'd "have" to accept it.
Doesn't matter. Rule is if it fits the clue, it's allowable, and colorful is not a strong enough pin. There's been a couple clues in the past that would similarly apply, but my search-fu isn't strong enough.
I'd say this was an edge case in the Trebek era but a tad more likely to be accepted (almost definitely on reversal) than not. In the barry berry new era, I really don't know. I'd say it's right on the edge to the point that chaos theory and quantum uncertainty would play a part in the outcome. As to what I think should happen, I lean toward acceptance on reversal, but just barely. I think both arguments have merit.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

If I'm going to massacre someone I'm going to require at least two bits.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:51 pm If I'm going to massacre someone I'm going to require at least two bits.
Which two? 00, 01, 10, or 11?
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:34 pm
davey wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:20 pm Why is a plugged nickel "colorful"? I'd call it mundane. It's a real object that's not worth anything. Since every player is expected to understand J!-speak, I don't think they'd "have" to accept it.
I'd say this was an edge case in the Trebek era but a tad more likely to be accepted (almost definitely on reversal) than not. In the barry berry new era, I really don't know. I'd say it's right on the edge to the point that chaos theory and quantum uncertainty would play a part in the outcome. As to what I think should happen, I lean toward acceptance on reversal, but just barely. I think both arguments have merit.
Until demonstrated otherwise, I'm sticking with the old rules
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:28 pm When all 6 continents fail you, try the seventh.
*squeeeeee* Seriously, though, ALL OF THE SET is in his mouth. It's incredible.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:02 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:51 pm If I'm going to massacre someone I'm going to require at least two bits.
<thesegoto11.gif>
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:04 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:02 pm
<thesegoto11.gif>
Was there supposed to be an image there?
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:56 pm Like Morbeedo, I disregarded the green face and went with "transplanted American poet in London" as a identifier for Eliot.
So, was I the only one who went with "transplanted American poet in London" as an identifier for Ezra Pound? (Doing some research I find that he left London too early to fit, but it was close.. )
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:34 pm
Yes, it's iffy, though possible. I don't consider "colorful" a synonym for "metaphorical," and the rule that colorful means name a color is more persuasive to me here.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:37 pm Was there supposed to be an image there?
No, that is a social media thing, where the typer knows that typing a description is enough to evoke in the reader the image of an animated gif, saving the typer the trouble of trying to find the gif.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:21 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:37 pm Was there supposed to be an image there?
No, that is a social media thing, where the typer knows that typing a description is enough to evoke in the reader the image of an animated gif, saving the typer the trouble of trying to find the gif.
Yet another miracle of this modern age.
I'm smart and I want respect.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I'd like to hear some predictions as to what you guys think the top two clues in THE SPORTSCASTER'S QUOTE would have been.

My guess:
$200: AL Michaels' call of the 1980 Miracle on Ice
$400: Some Vin Scully quote, most likely his call of Kirk Gibson's walk-off in the 1988 WS.