Tuesday, February 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WRITERS FOR CHILDREN

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Dartmouth Alumni Magazine gave "rejoice" as a rhyme for the correct pronunciation of his name

Steve Crupi: 12000+0=12000 (2x = $22,000)
Myrlin Hermes: 14400-10000=4400
Henry Michaels: 5100-5000=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Dr. Seuss (Myrlin – Boyce) (Henry – Dubois)

Daily Doubles
Henry: 2600+1500
Henry: 5900-2000
Henry: 10700-4000

Coryats
Steve: 12000
Myrlin: 14400
Henry: 10600

Combined: 37,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Steve: 3600
Myrlin: 6800
Henry: 5500
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Myrlin is famous enough with her writing for a Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrlin_Hermes

Unlike many, J! is included.

If someone wants a home video opportunity I wonder if dogs will react to the audio musical instrument clue at COUNTRY / MUSIC $400 ?

The clue with Ken's first reversal was CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY $600: A rip-cut saws along the grain of the wood, while this cut goes against the grain

Henry was negged for pull cut while Ken wanted a cross cut. The decision was reversed when Henry found DD1.

The Garrison newspaper clue made me laugh as I commented last week in the Master Minds thread about incorrectly guessing it when the Q wanted Frederick Douglass's paper. Redemption today.

Often there are posts about easy things to study. Another simple one is to bone up on Dickens titles as sometimes a TS can be a hit just by knowing those titles and nothing else.

The FJ! category had me try three precalls of Sendak, Dahl and the correct guy.

The FJ! clue was an insta-write to be done ahead of Ken's reading as it's easy if you know it. To me it's one of those trivia nuggets that can stick after the first time coming across it.

I wonder if being a baseball fan will help anyone as the Dodgers had a pitcher whose last name was said like, "Royce".

Steve had second place locked in after his FJ! wager while he needed that help from Myrlin's miss to defend the title.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I legit liked Myrlin's custom monogrammed top. More of us should wear our initials. It used to be a thing, especially for men on their shirt pockets (although usually understated). You don't see it too much anymore.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Cutting Edge, Astronomical, Old News,
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
trash: Damascus, apparent, Liberator, yellow journalism DD, Courant, bingo lingo
FJ: WAGed Seuss after 20 seconds. :mrgreen:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $40,600 (49R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Got my behind whooped by the movie category and the wordplay category, ran the other 4 categories in DJ. I did give myself credit for "boxing ring" instead of "fight site" because I felt it fit the clue and category.

FJ: not quite an instaget, but almost.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:34 pm I legit liked Myrlin's custom monogrammed top. More of us should wear our initials. It used to be a thing, especially for men on their shirt pockets (although usually understated). You don't see it too much anymore.
Bamawoman has a shirt with her initials. The trend may have declined as people became more concerned over privacy.

I had muckraking for the newspaper DD. Judges?

Never heard of the story but I figured FJ out pretty quickly. I may go to a bookstore tomorrow and ask for a Dr. Seuss book while pronouncing his name that way.

ETA....Looked up muckrakers and I saw they don’t fit the clue. Never mind.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Took 16 shows before out first change in score in the post Trebek era. Impressive. Very Good close game Today.

For final, I got there with about 10 seconds Left. Seuss seemed close enough. i dont understand wagering 0 in Final, But it Worked for Steve.

I did Read that Richards Suggested the "Thank You, Alex" Sign off, so im guessing it will stay through the other guest hosts. Slightly extended credits today
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AntmanB wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:16 pm Took 16 shows before out first change in score in the post Trebek era. Impressive. Very Good close game Today.

For final, I got there with about 10 seconds Left. Seuss seemed close enough. i dont understand wagering 0 in Final, But it Worked for Steve.

I did Read that Richards Suggested the "Thank You, Alex" Sign off, so im guessing it will stay through the other guest hosts. Slightly extended credits today
He could only bet $1,799 and avoid being passed from behind. The leader was very likely to bet big given her narrow lead. Even more certain with her being an author. He couldn’t protect against her zero bet without risking second place. He looks like he probably doesn’t have young children currently so he probably isn’t aware of what children’s books are popular right now. So I don’t see anything wrong with a zero bet given his position.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Well, so apparently I've been pronouncing Seuss's name wrong all my life :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:23 pm
AntmanB wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:16 pm Took 16 shows before out first change in score in the post Trebek era. Impressive. Very Good close game Today.

He could only bet $1,799 and avoid being passed from behind. The leader was very likely to bet big given her narrow lead. Even more certain with her being an author. He couldn’t protect against her zero bet without risking second place. He looks like he probably doesn’t have young children currently so he probably isn’t aware of what children’s books are popular right now. So I don’t see anything wrong with a zero bet given his position.
I dont really understand wagering despite being a big The final Wager fan. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:34 pm I legit liked Myrlin's custom monogrammed top. More of us should wear our initials. It used to be a thing, especially for men on their shirt pockets (although usually understated). You don't see it too much anymore.
There's the privacy thing Bamaman mentions, but three-word names have also come to be associated with assassins. Less so for women I suppose though there is Sara Jane Moore.
mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:40 pm I did give myself credit for "boxing ring" instead of "fight site" because I felt it fit the clue and category.
I would not accept that, as the would-be rhyming syllables are stressed differently.

I'm not sure why "parlor" was placed in quotes in "Rhyme Time" $1200. It had me looking for synonyms for it and it turned out to be just a random word not even necessary to the clue. Playing from the archive, I first read the bottom row clue as "a priori for a bivalve' and was ready with "pearlier 'from the earlier'", but then I read again.

Jerry Reuss was helpful in FJ, but I paid no notice to "strain" in the "Andromeda" clue. I might have TOMmed up the "tweed" clue with "you'll look boss in..."

I don't have a globe handy but does "from China to Peru" necessarily include any other countries? Maybe the Philippines?

Never heard of albedo. I expected "azimuth" to show up somewhere in that cat.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I don't think of flamenco = gypsies. Aren't gypsies quite a ways further east?

Also couldn't process the "mariachi" clue because it just didn't seem to squarely fit with "folk" or "costume" in my brain. I think of "costume" as being something considerably more complex than a colorful suit and hat.

0/5 in "A" Is for Astronomy. $400 momentarily stunned me by asking for two correct responses and I couldn't shift gears in time, leading me to clam on $800 and $1,600.

All this time and I STILL can't keep Maya/Inca/Aztec straight.

I got FJ! before Ken was even done reading the clue.

Lach Trash: Hartford Courant, fight site, bingo lingo
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:16 pm I'm not sure why "parlor" was placed in quotes in "Rhyme Time" $1200. It had me looking for synonyms for it and it turned out to be just a random word not even necessary to the clue.
You can play the game in a bingo parlor, but I think "hall" is far more popular.

Instaget FJ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Poll request for “I knew the proper pronunciation for Theodore Geisel’s middle name”.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Lefty wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:16 pm
three-word names have also come to be associated with assassins.
Hm.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The "Evelyn Waugh was married to a woman named Evelyn" trivia on tonight's show blew my mind. I don't know how this doesn't come up every time someone mistakes the writer for a woman.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:03 pm The "Evelyn Waugh was married to a woman named Evelyn" trivia on tonight's show blew my mind. I don't know how this doesn't come up every time someone mistakes the writer for a woman.
I didn’t know the names were pronounced with a long E.