Wednesday, February 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN ROYALTY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1653 King Louis XIV performed as this Greco-Roman god in the ballet "de la Nuit"

Steve Crupi: 7200-2800=4400
Nicole Kozdron: 18700+0=18700 (New Champ)
Paul Acosta: 4200-4000=200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Apollo (Steve – Who is ?) (Paul – Morpheus)

Daily Doubles
Nicole: 4200+1000
Nicole: 11600+1500
Paul: 9200-5000

Coryats
Steve: 7200
Nicole: 17800
Paul: 9200

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Steve: 2000
Nicole: 5200
Paul: 7200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken's brand of humor comes through again as he got to acknowledge Nicole for getting to say the Mike Judge MTV character's name on J! :lol:

Ken's "German" accent for the Tom Lehrer clue? Well...

Nicole was 3/3 on wagering clues on the way to a lock and putting no money at risk at the end. Even if Paul had solved DD3 and had bet it all he still would have trailed for the FJ! round. The different is Nicole would/shoulda/coulda bet and could have won over $36K.

The FJ! category had me brainstorm a bunch of non-British names from Belgium, Spain, and the Netherlands while adding Gustav, Olav, & Louis. My last thought was the closest to the bullseye.

The FJ! clue had me go from Point A of his name to Point B his nickname to Point C the mythology tie-in. In no way did I expect a 3/3 on the clue and I was pleased to see Nicole saved it from being a skunk clue.

Good for Paul for keeping at it to try to get on the show after not making the Teen Tournament in 1992.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:42 pm The FJ! clue had me go from Point A of his name to Point B his nickname to Point C the mythology tie-in. In no way did I expect a 3/3 on the clue and I was pleased to see Nicole saved it from being a skunk clue.
I went the exact reverse of you, getting the name from "Greco-Roman" (he's the first one I think of whose name is the same in both mythologies), from there to "sun" and from that the nickname and the king, whose name I just glossed over when reading the clue.

Had I been watching the show, it might have been different, hearing the king's name out loud.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Huh, Sun King never occurred to me. I went straight to the only god I could think of whose name was the same in both mythologies, plus it seemed to tie into a ballet involving “the night”.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $44,600 (51R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Negged with 'cerebrum' on Scientists $200. Probably would have gotten a BMS, then would have tried to figure out which lobe it was, so... neg. On a $200 clue, they could have worded it "this half of the brain". Wording it "part of the brain" had me recalling my anatomy classes.

On DD2, went down the rabbit hole of looking for something from the Hebrew and guessed Messiah... then facepalm on reveal.

FJ - have heard that tidbit before, so instaget.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: There's a Word,
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
trash: desire, Botany Bay, Cape Cod :o , Berlin :shock: , British Commonwealth, profiling, Chancellor, Tunisia DD, Hugo Chavez
FJ: Apollo. Le Roi Soleil, WECIB. :mrgreen:
The top clue in scientists was way undervalued. :?
Jeers to Paul for thinking China has elections. :P
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I know nothing about Plays and very little about world history, so i didnt even have a Guess for Final.

KTRK cut off the sony logo in the credits again.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $42,000
50 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :evil:
LT: Desire (Under the Elms), Botany Bay, Cape Cod, Phnom Penh, Commonwealth, USAID, chancellor, Tunisia (DD), Hugo Chavez

Grrr. I figured out the tie-in immediately and went to Apollo, since I seemed to remember a connection between him and the sun. Unfortunately, I didn't stop there, switching to Helios with 10 seconds or so to go. Turns out Helios is exclusively Greek.

I would comment on Paul not going TDD(-$1) on DD3, but you've heard it all before.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:55 pm Negged with 'cerebrum' on Scientists $200. Probably would have gotten a BMS, then would have tried to figure out which lobe it was, so... neg. On a $200 clue, they could have worded it "this half of the brain". Wording it "part of the brain" had me recalling my anatomy classes.
I did the same. Also, on the profiling clue in Notorious, the way Ken read the clue, it sounded like like he was saying that his suit was "buttoned using this method", which completely threw me off.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I had no clue on FJ but my wife got it immediately which is just brutal. Demerits for me.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

* I had to swat away "Kid Curry" before coming up with "Sundance Kid". Boy, am I old.

* Fruit flies like a banana; time flies like an arrow

* I love a Tom Lehrer clue

* While I got the clue right (because, really WECIB?), I don't think I was aware that Parker and Barrow killed people while robbing banks

* So, if the Cavern Club is in Liverpool, what was the name of their Hamburg venue?

* The wording of Notorious $1600 really threw me; I thought they were looking for the technique with which the Mad Bomber wore his buttoned double-breasted suit

* It hardly takes any time at all to count votes in Chinese elections <evil grin>
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:29 pm Coryat: $42,000
50 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :evil:
LT: Desire (Under the Elms), Botany Bay, Cape Cod, Phnom Penh, Commonwealth, USAID, chancellor, Tunisia (DD), Hugo Chavez

Grrr. I figured out the tie-in immediately and went to Apollo, since I seemed to remember a connection between him and the sun. Unfortunately, I didn't stop there, switching to Helios with 10 seconds or so to go. Turns out Helios is exclusively Greek.

I would comment on Paul not going TDD(-$1) on DD3, but you've heard it all before.
He couldn’t catch her on the DD. But his bet of a big round number still left him short of catching her on the last clue. Even if she rang in and missed it he still couldn’t have caught her. He needed to bet at least $7,501 on the DD.

I thought FJ said Louis XV, not XIV and guessed Zeus. Doubt I figure it out even with the right king.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I like this FJ clue.. lots of different parts here. Went from Greco-Roman God to Nuit, then checked my work with Sun King. (Point B to C to A.)

The Cape Cod TS hurt for this New Englander, but I'll gladly scoop up that miss from home. Congrats to Nicole for the sole solve and lock win.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran A "Kid" In. I'm Facebook friends with former Garbage Pail Kids (and MAD magazine) artist Tom Bunk, so no way was I missing that clue.

Strangely, $200 was my only miss in Scientists. That one was way too easy to overthink, ironically enough.

NHO "Goo Goo Clusters", my only miss in the category.

Also got all but the DD in There's a Word for That. The wording just didn't mesh for me. I thought that "take the blame" meant "voluntarily accept that you are being blamed", whereas "scapegoat" means "you are the one being blamed, regardless of whether or not you did it". Anyone else have that disconnect or was it just me?

NHO the middle three shows in "Un" as far as I can tell, though I did get "Unplugged".

Also thought Botany Bay was extremely tough for the top box. Last two times it appeared, it was a $2,000 box five and six years ago. Doesn't seem remotely top-box material. Poll request?

I knew both Cape Cod and D.B. Cooper but couldn't pull either one in time.

European Royalty? Yeah, not even a WAG from me.

Lach Trash: Desire Under the Elms, chancellor
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:51 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:29 pm I would comment on Paul not going TDD(-$1) on DD3, but you've heard it all before.
He couldn’t catch her on the DD. But his bet of a big round number still left him short of catching her on the last clue. Even if she rang in and missed it he still couldn’t have caught her. He needed to bet at least $7,501 on the DD.
Right, but given that he was drawing dead if he didn't convert that DD, he should have maximized his upside by going all in (holding back a dollar to guarantee a berth in FJ!).
Sprinkles are for winners.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:49 pm
NHO "Goo Goo Clusters", my only miss in the category.
I got that one with confidence, but have absolutely no flippin' idea how I knew it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:02 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:51 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:29 pm I would comment on Paul not going TDD(-$1) on DD3, but you've heard it all before.
Right, but given that he was drawing dead if he didn't convert that DD, he should have maximized his upside by going all in (holding back a dollar to guarantee a berth in FJ!).
I was just giving a statistical analysis of his minimum bet. But I agree with you. I stopped the video to see the scores and saw he had less than half her score and knew it was an all in situation.

I have never had a Goo Goo Cluster but have seen them all my life. Maybe it is a Southern thing.