Thursday, February 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Thursday, February 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

I went with Rice on the SoS clue.

I can see someone guessing CNN. But while Tip O’Neill might be a logical person to appear on a news channel in 1979, Al Gore certainly wouldn’t have been as he was years from national prominence.

Also, the first person to speak on CNN was the news anchor on opening day. It was a man named Dave Walker who introduced himself. His co-anchor then introduced herself and went into the story about the Jordan shooting.

Jimmy Carter seems to be the first person you know today to speak on CNN, not counting Bob Hope in a commercial.

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Lots of delicious, delicious trash for me today, and can proudly say my flashcards guided me to category runs in POETRY and MUSICALS BY SONG LYRICS. Ripping "Song of Myself", knowing the negbait of Leaves of Grass was the collection and not a single poem, felt really good.

And with aaaaaaall of that success, of course I picked CNN for Final :oops:
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:39 pm I went with Rice on the SoS clue.

I can see someone guessing CNN. But while Tip O’Neill might be a logical person to appear on a news channel in 1979, Al Gore certainly wouldn’t have been as he was years from national prominence.

Also, the first person to speak on CNN was the news anchor on opening day. It was a man named Dave Walker who introduced himself. His co-anchor then introduced herself and went into the story about the Jordan shooting.
The clue said "first politicians" so that wouldn't have eliminated CNN...I wasn't distracted by that choice myself. C-SPAN just seemed more likely...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I thought I was sunk when I saw the FJ category. Another horrible weak spot for me. I surprised myself by actually instagetting C-Span. As many finals as I have whiffed on this season, I'll take this even if it is a fluke.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:59 pmScience $1600... that is most definitely NOT what a standard deviation is. Standard deviation is a measure of the variability of a data set, it does not apply to a single data point. I suspect "deviation" is what they were after, which is a term/concept more seldom heard by the layperson. Standard deviation should be a solid neg, but then you've got a pretty tricky clue for anyone who isn't in the small slice of the population who has had stats and retains more than the most basic terminology.
Thank you. I have only a fuzzy understanding of the standard deviation, but I knew that description didn't cut it. If nothing else, their definition would mean that the standard deviation is something that, if given the mean, I could calculate in my head. I knew that wasn't the case. Calculating the standard deviation requires a special button on your Ti-55 calculator. Everybody knows that. It would also mean that every value in the set has a different std dev, which makes no sense. They don't call it the STANDARD deviation because every deviation is different.

The one time in my life where I took more than a passing interest in the standard deviation was in a college class with some 300 students where the professor graded on a curve. We were told, if I recall, that the mean score on the final would be the lowest possible B- and every standard deviation up or down from that point would increase/decrease the score by half a letter grade. I believe I got an A-, so two st dev above the mean.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

40R. 4/4 on big clues. I did a lot better in the DJ round than the J round.

I only got Pleistocene and Song of Myself on the rebound. I did not pick up the Alfred Lord Tennyson clue. I focused on the names Charles and Frederick. There were some easy clues in Man's Plain that I didn't get. I said Avenue Q instead of 42nd Street. Musicals are not a good category for me.

I said Sound Effects Artist instead of Foley Artist. Judges?

Tough to see Nicole lose, it looked like she was ready to put together a strong run and it's already over. She played really well but Stuart played really well too. He might go on a run.

I would recommend, as a rule of thumb, always bet the maximum on the J round DD and always bet the maximum on the DJ round DD if you find it on the first 8 clues. Don't even think about wagering until the last 22 clues of the game. That leaves plenty of time to catch up in case you miss.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CNN here, 'first politicians' made me think it might have been interviews.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I agree "standard deviation" should have been negged. On two counts, really, because it's simply wrong but it also didn't fit the category.

I think that FJ will poll as one of the highest this season.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I knew standard deviation was wrong but I also knew that it was what the question was going for.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:20 pm I knew standard deviation was wrong but I also knew that it was what the question was going for.
Why would "standard deviation" be what a clue in the category Science "D"ictionary was going for? They even gave 'standard' in the clue as a hint. I'm very confident just "deviation" was the expected response.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:22 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:20 pm I knew standard deviation was wrong but I also knew that it was what the question was going for.
Why would "standard deviation" be what a clue in the category Science "D"ictionary was going for? They even gave 'standard' in the clue as a hint. I'm very confident just "deviation" was the expected response.
Would a better way to archive it be:

(Stuart: What is the standard [*]?)

That way only "deviation" shows as the correct response?
davey

Post by davey »

Yes, no question. There was even a pause, as if Ken was getting a judges' ruling. Maybe somebody forgot or misconstrued why "standard" was in the clue.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I must also say, future contestants really should prioritize learning the first 5 Roman Emperors just as much as the 7 Wonders, English Royal Houses, etc.

"Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero" isn't too obtuse to remember. The only mnemonic I was able to find with a quick lookup was "Another Tom Cat, Caught Napping", but with just 5 names, you can make one of your own.

The challenge is going beyond the 5 names and learning more about each one, like their years in power and facts about their reign, even past the common "Augustus has a month named after him, Caligula was nuts, Nero fiddled".
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:16 pm...but nonstop coverage of Congress is kind of CSPAN's thing. My only qualm was whether to add a "2" to the end or not, but I just shaved it off with Occam's Razor.
C-SPAN was created after the House of Representatives voted to allow their proceedings to be televised. It took another seven years for the Senate to allow regular live TV coverage, and C-SPAN2 was created to be "their" channel, in 1986.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:41 pm
Would a better way to archive it be:

(Stuart: What is the standard [*]?)

That way only "deviation" shows as the correct response?
You could do that, but then note also that it was accepted after a pause. Otherwise it looks like there is an error in the response toggle crediting Stuart.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,600
49 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Jersey Boys, Stone Age, Roman Empire, Pleistocene Epoch, Shakespeare's sonnets

As Kirk noted, I'm shocked "standard deviation" was accepted given that it explicitly did not fit the category.

Talk about your WECIB FJ!'s.
Sprinkles are for winners.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:59 pm Archive playthrough:

Science $1600... that is most definitely NOT what a standard deviation is. Standard deviation is a measure of the variability of a data set, it does not apply to a single data point. I suspect "deviation" is what they were after, which is a term/concept more seldom heard by the layperson. Standard deviation should be a solid neg, but then you've got a pretty tricky clue for anyone who isn't in the small slice of the population who has had stats and retains more than the most basic terminology.
I have to agree with you here. I teach probability and statistics and was really surprised a reversal wasn't called on the answer of standard deviation. But I said loudly "That is NOT correct!" when standard deviation was allowed as an acceptable answer to that clue.

A deviation in statistics is the difference between any data value and the mean; since the mean is based on the makeup of all values in the data set, the sum of the positive deviations are cancelled out by the sum of the negative deviations, so the sum of the deviations is always zero.

That's why the deviations are squared in calculating the variance...then, the average of the squared deviations is used for the variance (with squared units)...or the square root of the variance is taken to come up with the standard deviation, returning the units to their original power. ( I won't get into the different divisor used for samples...but the sum of the squared deviations is divided by (n-1) for samples).

I teach my students that one way to interpret the standard deviation is a numeric quantifier of the degree of spread contained in a set of data. It allows you to make comparisons between two data sets that have the same mean but different standard deviations and decide which one seems to have more consistent data values (leading, of course, to the Z-score).
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Bounceback day at home in all three rounds; the boards were to my liking, although I matched the 50-50 Whitman neg to end it. For FJ, I got to the solve almost immediately, then spent 28 seconds convincing myself that CNN didn't come on until the early 1980s (which is true, but barely).
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Working as I do at an institution that has a Brian Lamb School of Communications, it would have been bad had I missed FJ... fortunately i didn’t.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:35 am Working as I do at an institution that has a Brian Lamb School of Communications, it would have been bad had I missed FJ... fortunately i didn’t.
Yeah, that would have been bad.