Tuesday, February 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 50 STATES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
While it has only 31 miles of coastline on the Atlantic, its shoreline is almost 3,200 miles thanks to a large estuary & its tributaries

John Focht: 18400+15600=34000 (2x = 58,800)
Morgan Halvorsen: 16800+1801=18601
Myles Nye: 5400-5333=67

Correct response:
Spoiler
Maryland (Myles – North Carolina)

Daily Doubles
Myles: 3800+800
John: 7600+3000
John: 11400+3000

Coryats
John: 14800
Morgan: 16800
Myles: 5200

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
John: 6400
Morgan: 4000
Myles: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

During chat Morgan mentioned Mensa. Enjoy your consolation prize as that reference often spells no return appearance on J!

TV SHOWS BY WORKPLACE $2000 had me laughing as that is a tough one to pick up through osmosis. Other than last night's ep., which I have not watched yet, I've see all the other episodes and even I had a moment's pause to connect it along with saying the title properly. That had TS written all over it and many quatloos it will cost LSV a perfecto.

Bill Nye is the science guy and Myles Nye is the trivia guy for getting on J! Betting guy not so much as 3800+800 on DD1 did not cut it other than stretching a lead that did not hold by the end of the round.

The FJ! category gave me extra time to think about it as locast Houston broke in for impeachment coverage after the DJ! round and I did not play the FJ! clue until the next airing. Thank you as always to Delta CBS for showing J!

In trying to picture short coastlines I thought of NH for not much, but there was no way I could picture to get to 3,200. I stayed in New England in trying to picture what would count/not count for those states. Time was ticking and I figured I better drop down more. I ruled out VA and from there though about small Delaware. The next step was the correct place that seemed to make the most sense although distances had me very unsure.

Morgan from Silver Spring can go home with her head high for a good showing and not letting home field advantage get away from her in the FJ! round while John did enough with the DDs to take the match.

Reading other forums there were multiple posters that had John practically jumping from playing Monday to still playing on Friday it seemed. John did defend although it was back to Earth with just a 14800 Coryat compared to the 27600 yesterday.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Finally done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6934

A full week of the Olay guest reader clues is already annoying after two days.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Love Seeing Clues about SpongeBob and Weird Al in the same Day.

I went with Miles cause i knew Rhode Island was a Trap. Maryland didnt even cross my Mind.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:53 pm TV SHOWS BY WORKPLACE $2000 had me laughing as that is a tough one to pick up through osmosis. Other than last night's ep., which I have not watched yet, I've see all the other episodes and even I had a moment's pause to connect it along with saying the title properly. That had TS written all over it and many quatloos it will cost LSV a perfecto.
Girlfriend watches Bob therefore I've seen enough of it to nail it. But I'm thinking Nicklaus' grip has a better chance of tripping up LSV, as well as almost everybody.

Funny, we had a discussion some months ago about whether baseball grip should have been accepted for a golf grip where the correct term is 10-finger. Two golf grip clues in less than a year. Odd.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:38 pm Finally done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6934

A full week of the Olay guest reader clues is already annoying after two days.
The lady reading the answers today was much better than the one yesterday. She put me to sleep.

Looks like correcting Ken in your interview is as bad as correcting Alex was.

I started at the bottom and worked my way up the east coast and stopped in the right place.

Entertaining game that went down to the 60th clue.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Historical Pairs, Banks
Daily Doubles: :| (couldn't parse the clue), :D :D
trash: Trappists, May,
FJ: I thought Maryland had much more coast (forgot Delaware), guessed Pennsylvania :oops:
Last edited by DBear on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Went for the wrong one in FJ!. Quickly narrowed it down to the DC trifecta: Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland. Unfortunately, I got on board Amtrak with our current President, and wound up in Delaware. My brain always gets really fuzzy in that area of the map, particularly because of Chesapeake Bay. In the back of my head, I even knew Chesapeake Bay was the geographical feature they were hinting at...and if I'd said it out loud, "Chesapeake Bay, Maryland" would have made sense.

I, too, don't like this week's readers, simply because they're non-professionals. Shows how much you have to work at being a good reader, and makes me appreciate Ken (and Alex) a little more. As I've said before, it takes a certain kind of talent to read a clue so that you're actually helping, and not hurting, the contestants. Something as simple as emphasizing the "this" can make a world of difference. J! clues are not normal speech patterns. Thanks, Merv and Merv's wife.

I'm calling negbait on ziggurat. Admittedly, I'd never heard the phrase "step pyramid", and never really looked at a ziggurat, so in my mind's eye, my picture of a ziggurat was basically a step pyramid.

Judges: "BlacksmiTH" for the guy who deals with pin tumblers and back plates? Can they be forged? Probably not...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Golf wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:33 pm Girlfriend watches Bob therefore I've seen enough of it to nail it. But I'm thinking Nicklaus' grip has a better chance of tripping up LSV, as well as almost everybody.

Funny, we had a discussion some months ago about whether baseball grip should have been accepted for a golf grip where the correct term is 10-finger. Two golf grip clues in less than a year. Odd.
I started with a baseball grip before being converted first to interlocking and then to overlap. I still for reasons unknown use an interlocking grip on my putting stroke rather than a reverse overlap but it works for me. Interestingly, my 16 y.o. son has been taught the interlocking grip as he’s taken lessons the last 3 years.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Guessed Virginia just to avoid Rhode Island. It has about 112 miles. Delaware and Rhode Island are negbaity at 28 and 40 miles. I tried looking at a map to see how obvious the answer was and the eastern land mass is just a mess of dangly parts with invisible lines for state boundaries.

In his heyday Jack Nicklaus recommended to use the interlocking grip if you have small hands. No male golfer since has adopted this grip :lol:. Well, maybe Trump :).

Anybody get the mineral clue for "fluorescent"? I didn't, and I am a yuge fan of George Stokes. Well, his work anyway. Used his equation for terminal velocity of a falling sphere a few times. Also the Navier-Stokes equation of hydrodynamics is one of the Millennium Prize challenges. Was the mineral labeled "fluorite" (don't see pic in archive).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:19 pm Guessed Virginia just to avoid Rhode Island. It has about 112 miles. Delaware and Rhode Island are negbaity at 28 and 40 miles. I tried looking at a map to see how obvious the answer was and the eastern land mass is just a mess of dangly parts with invisible lines for state boundaries.
I temporarily went through Virginia, but thought, "oh wait, Virginia Beach only has 26 miles on the Atlantic" (which is the type of thing you know if you lived in Virginia Beach for 9 years), then realized I had forgotten about the Eastern Shore altogether, and what other state is on the Eastern Shore that has beaucoup frontage on the Chesapeake Bay?....
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

37R. 3/4 on big clues. I guessed Pennsylvania. I didn't actually know what estuary meant.

I didn't hear the response correctly for Bob Hearts Abishola and thought it was some Bob Newhart show.

"The Adventures of Augue ___" in the bottom row is tricky. If it was in one of the top rows I would ring in with August.

All three contestants played really well today. Close game.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:04 pm
I, too, don't like this week's readers, simply because they're non-professionals. Shows how much you have to work at being a good reader, and makes me appreciate Ken (and Alex) a little more. As I've said before, it takes a certain kind of talent to read a clue so that you're actually helping, and not hurting, the contestants. Something as simple as emphasizing the "this" can make a world of difference. J! clues are not normal speech patterns. Thanks, Merv and Merv's wife.

I'm calling negbait on ziggurat. Admittedly, I'd never heard the phrase "step pyramid", and never really looked at a ziggurat, so in my mind's eye, my picture of a ziggurat was basically a step pyramid.
I just rewatched the 10 clues so far by the non-professionals. Except for the first clue today, "this" (or "these") is properly emphasized in every reading.
Ziggurats were Mesopotamian, and Imhotep was Egyptian.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Wow, I'm surprised no one has yet remarked on the inherent problem of measuring coastline length.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastline_paradox

I had Maryland for my precall and then totally biffed on the actual clue. I said Mississippi and the whole time couldn't believe they'd consider it to be Atlantic coastline. I knew New Hampshire had a short Atlantic coastline, but knew that didn't make sense. Totally forgot about Chesapeake Bay. :oops:
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:19 pm Anybody get the mineral clue for "fluorescent"? I didn't, and I am a yuge fan of George Stokes. Well, his work anyway. Used his equation for terminal velocity of a falling sphere a few times. Also the Navier-Stokes equation of hydrodynamics is one of the Millennium Prize challenges. Was the mineral labeled "fluorite" (don't see pic in archive).
They didn't label it fluorite. The pic is in the spoiler below. Hydrodynamics is only for liquids, Navier-Stokes applies to compressible fluids too. I definitely missed fluorescent. Stokes' wiki page has some cool information.
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm sitting in FJ, so I wasn't missing that one. And Morgan must be relieved to have gotten it since she is from Silver Spring.
talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:04 pm Went for the wrong one in FJ!. Quickly narrowed it down to the DC trifecta: Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland.
Any glimpse of the Chesapeake on a map will allow you to understand why there is so much shoreline. The area east of the Chesapeake is called the Eastern Shore, and if you're referring to the states involved, it's the Delmarva peninsula. It has also become popular to refer to the DC metropolitan area as "the DMV" (District, Maryland, Virginia). Note how Virginia is last.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I was stuck because I hadn’t understood that there was such a distinction between a coastline and a shoreline. I said New Hampshire, though it should have been obvious what the estuary in question was.

This chart uses the term ‘coastline’ for both:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... _coastline