Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Friday, February 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

Don't know what talkingaway is talking about, Mediterranean & Baltic are most definitely purple there.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:18 pm Don't know what talkingaway is talking about, Mediterranean & Baltic are most definitely purple there.
Old board. Here's a new one:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:08 pm Tough FJ for me. Add me as one who’ll be glad to no longer see that awful Olay-sponsored drivel. I hate guest questioners anyway & this week was especially awful.
What exactly is "drivel" about categories/clues focusing on women's achievements in STEM?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I've heard a lot of orange tan discussions over the last 4 years and it typically leads to heated arguments.
CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 pm
Johnblue wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:08 pm Tough FJ for me. Add me as one who’ll be glad to no longer see that awful Olay-sponsored drivel. I hate guest questioners anyway & this week was especially awful.
What exactly is "drivel" about categories/clues focusing on women's achievements in STEM?
I think it's great and important for Jeopardy! to focus on Women in STEM categories. But it also seemed like these categories had big technical issues and it was hard for viewers to hear the clues. At one point I thought they were reading the clues off of zoom and there was a lag or delay that made everything out of sync. The audio also seemed distorted.

I don't know if his "Olay-sponsored drivel" was in reference to the technical problems or something else.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:49 pm I've heard a lot of orange tan discussions over the last 4 years and it typically leads to heated arguments.
I think it's great and important for Jeopardy! to focus on Women in STEM categories. But it also seemed like these categories had big technical issues and it was hard for viewers to hear the clues. At one point I thought they were reading the clues off of zoom and there was a lag or delay that made everything out of sync. The audio also seemed distorted.

I don't know if his "Olay-sponsored drivel" was in reference to the technical problems or something else.

As a scientist, I can tell you the gender gap in STEM fields is a MAJOR issue and I'm beyond ecstatic to see Jeopardy! take it on. My wife is also a scientist, and there could be a whole book on the barriers she and other women I know have faced. It's an issue that needs to be addressed from multiple angles, and every little bit helps.

Still would have liked to see captions on those clues though...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Volante wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:26 pm
DBear wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:18 pm Don't know what talkingaway is talking about, Mediterranean & Baltic are most definitely purple there.
Old board. Here's a new one:
I'm definitely a traditionalist. Also, with Income Tax a flat $200, it's not really an income tax, is it? :P
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

It's not. Johnblue is just a troll.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Woof wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:32 pm What a combined Coryat tonight! That almost TOC-like. My son and I looked at each other on FJ, both knowing who it referred to. I finally got past Epimenides to Diogenes (“that guy with the lantern”) but who knows whether I’d have managed to write it down before the end of Think Time.
I never made it to Diogenes, though I should have. As soon as I saw "Cynics" and "Socrates" I immediately started searching memory for a name heard briefly a LONG time ago: "oh, yeah, that student of Socrates who started codifying the Cynicism principles. What was his name? Antihistamine? Antithesis? Aminophylline?"

Finally went with Aristophanes at the end of the music, knowing it was wrong as he was a playwright instead of a philosophy.

Turns out I was thinking of Antisthenes. Dang. Where was Mycroft when I needed him?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $46,000
55 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: paper-rock-scissors (DD), Wahhabis, Huns

Earlier this week, BPTrivia.com's Championship Series asked the following question: In most artistic representations of this Greek philosopher, one of the founders of the Cynic philosophy, he is depicted living in a large ceramic jar or tub, known as a pithos. Identify this man, known for his philosophical stunts, such as carrying a lamp during the day claiming to be looking for an honest man.

I got that one with less than 50% confidence. I was significantly more sure this time around.

NHO "apple-pie order."

A "name this guy" photo clue of Bob Dylan should not be on the bottom row.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:46 pm
It's not. Johnblue is just a troll.
No, the previous poster had it correct: the questions were dull, badly produced/presented and I’m not a fan of these “sponsored” categories. I have at least 4 female scientists my family so I’m certainly in favor of science myself. You sound like a troll yourself. Or just a dullard.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:04 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 am
A Wray wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:17 am
It's the symbol for an unstressed vowel, such as the middle one in the word "je-pər-dē"
This is just wrong. Lots of unstressed vowels are not schwas -- for instance, the last vowel of that very word they used as an example.
Secondary stress. :P
Take the comma out of the clue and it's giving an example of one kind of unstressed vowel. We don't know that the writer put a comma in it - only that Ken paused, and the closed captioner put one in...
But I would say that Johnny Gilbert, for one, often makes us hear the a in the middle of Jeopardy!...
Fair point. I had forgotten that the text of that clue wasn't actually displayed on screen. When I watched the show, I thought something was off about the clue, but perhaps what was "off" was just Ken's reading.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:39 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:44 pm
AntmanB wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:15 pm STEM girl
You understand why this appellation is insulting and sexist to a respected Ph.D. molecular and developmental biologist? (Or indeed any person over the age of adulthood?)

IMHO, there are ways of expressing fair criticisms of guest readers without resorting to sexism.
Thank you. I have found this description offensive every time he used it.
Used to be, there were lots of words you weren't supposed to say in front of girls.

Now you can say any of those words.

You just can't call them girls.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

John Boy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:19 pm
You understand why this appellation is insulting and sexist to a respected Ph.D. molecular and developmental biologist? (Or indeed any person over the age of adulthood?)

IMHO, there are ways of expressing fair criticisms of guest readers without resorting to sexism.
Used to be, there were lots of words you weren't supposed to say in front of girls.

Nonsense argument. You can call any female person a girl if she isn't an adult.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

John Boy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:19 pm

Your life sounds rough. Please tell us more.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It's kind of like that other bad word. Men aren't allowed to say it but women can refer to themselves and each other as girls.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:31 pm that other bad word
There are several like that. Can you be more specific? :lol:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Rock, Paper, Scissors), Wahhabis, Huns, Eye of Providence
Douglas Squasoni