Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by jjwaymee »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:24 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 am
Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:36 am Another requirement for bourbon is that the barrel may be used just once. A brewery owner in West Michigan showed me the room where his high-end beers were barrel-aged.
Was it Founders? Is so the brewer may be a friend of mine.
It was New Holland, and the beer in question is its flagship product, Dragon's Milk stout. At the time, my wife and I were visiting breweries for our book, Michigan Breweries, which was published in 2006.

Speaking of Founders, I miss their Centennial IPA, which isn't distributed here.
We are definitely spoiled here in West Michigan. My alcohol closet is stocked with various Founders/New Holland/Bells offerings like Dragon's Milk special editions, Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Canadian Breakfast Stout, and Mas Agave. That one is a lime gose that is aged in tequila barrels. It's a beer that tastes like a margarita. It's amazing.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jjwaymee wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:19 pm We are definitely spoiled here in West Michigan. My alcohol closet is stocked with various Founders/New Holland/Bells offerings like Dragon's Milk special editions, Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Canadian Breakfast Stout, and Mas Agave. That one is a lime gose that is aged in tequila barrels. It's a beer that tastes like a margarita. It's amazing.
That sounds all kinds of intriguing. I'm fond of lambics, including gueuze lambics. There's usually a framboise lambic in my refrigerator at any given time. But it's an infrequent treat.

Now that I look it up, Mas Agave is only available in May. I might have to make a note of that.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've seen the Mas Agave before, but haven't tried it.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:37 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:00 am How many got the quilt question here? I was nervous assigning defense. I knew it because I live in Alabama and have heard about the quilting ladies. I just didn’t know if it was widely known or if it could be puzzled out. It seemed to play hard, though not as hard as Joker’s Wild.
because it said "specific medium", I went with "spray paint". I thought it might be a graffiti thing in the mid-80s.
I had a vague memory of CBS Sunday Morning or one of those shows doing a piece on some nice ladies somewhere in the Southland doing something artistic and a bit odd. Tried mightily to recall what it was but couldn't pull it, decided it might be Spanish moss. I can kinda visualize it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

From the wording, I deduced that it was a craft cum folk art. I considered quilting but ended up putting pottery down. That, with my Kosman flip of Baghdad and Damascus led to a 4/6 for me.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

jjwaymee wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:19 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:24 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 am
Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:36 am Another requirement for bourbon is that the barrel may be used just once. A brewery owner in West Michigan showed me the room where his high-end beers were barrel-aged.
Was it Founders? Is so the brewer may be a friend of mine.
It was New Holland, and the beer in question is its flagship product, Dragon's Milk stout. At the time, my wife and I were visiting breweries for our book, Michigan Breweries, which was published in 2006.

Speaking of Founders, I miss their Centennial IPA, which isn't distributed here.
We are definitely spoiled here in West Michigan. My alcohol closet is stocked with various Founders/New Holland/Bells offerings like Dragon's Milk special editions, Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Canadian Breakfast Stout, and Mas Agave. That one is a lime gose that is aged in tequila barrels. It's a beer that tastes like a margarita. It's amazing.
I've got a four-pack of KBS in the closet, waiting to share with my brother from Jersey once he gets down here. Unfortunately, COVID and a death in his wife's family have thrown a wrench into his plans.

Yesterday, while grocery shopping at Kroger, I saw 15-packs of Centennial IPA on display. Of course I brought one home.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sorry, the card says Moops.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:19 am Sorry, the card says Moops.
Boy was I tempted to submit that. If I hadn't started out the season so slowly I just might have.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The JBL is steaming along, but unless we get Mark Barrett as a commissioner, all the updates and scorecards are going to lag behind :oops: . I will get a quarterly synopsis up before the halfway point (I hope).

I have hit on a couple of WAG's this season, compared to zip in LL87. Trans-Siberian Railway, Quilt, and Uganda (Luganda/Buganda/Schmooganda) were lucky jabs, and even starburst and Baghdad were low confidence gets. I took the gaspipe on Tennessee vs. Canadian and another one TBA. Altimeter and Helium avoided bagels for me at least, and for some reason, my DE in the JBL was 1.000 after 5 days :o , which got me as high as 3rd.

I went with "flow" for the money/physics term, after rejecting "flux" as being too techie sounding. I'm glad it isn't counting as a science question.

For the Moors/Moops, I went with "those darned Etruscans". But "moops" is already a better BWA :).

ETA (I had to look it up) - I said American Sign Language for the alphabet question. That is closer than I expected.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

For the Pop Music question on MD8, I racked my brain, trying to think what group might have had five #1 albums in a row while also having 22 top 40 hits in the 1970s. All I could come up with was Chicago. Wings never occurred to me. I was surprised they had that many top 40 hits...and I was a regular listener to American Top 40.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

SBurrus wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:42 am For the Pop Music question on MD8, I racked my brain, trying to think what group might have had five #1 albums in a row while also having 22 top 40 hits in the 1970s. All I could come up with was Chicago. Wings never occurred to me. I was surprised they had that many top 40 hits...and I was a regular listener to American Top 40.
Played through it this morning... I was stuck on the same thing, then I thought "what would be bigger than a band that was so huge? The Beatles... aha!"

But yeah, I'd probably need a solid day of thinking to name 5 songs by The Wings.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

RTFQ, RTFQ, RTFQ!!!!!

I tried hard to think of what Alaska was "formerly" known as...FORMALLY dammit.

I hate when my eyes do that. Mostly seems to happen when reading on my phone, which is strange as I can read the smallest of writings on packaging, and can clearly read size 4 font.

I like how 21% came up with Potter for the TV character. Almost fits in a wrong way.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:28 am
SBurrus wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:42 am For the Pop Music question on MD8, I racked my brain, trying to think what group might have had five #1 albums in a row while also having 22 top 40 hits in the 1970s. All I could come up with was Chicago. Wings never occurred to me. I was surprised they had that many top 40 hits...and I was a regular listener to American Top 40.
Played through it this morning... I was stuck on the same thing, then I thought "what would be bigger than a band that was so huge? The Beatles... aha!"

But yeah, I'd probably need a solid day of thinking to name 5 songs by The Wings.
I can name one, but it was enough for a beer. Sadly, my opponent had one too... 9(6) ties feel so anticlimactic... (A Rundle problems!)

Humours played remarkably easy even league wide. Rather impressed.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Usually there's at least one question per season that makes me feel really old and yesterday's about Potsie definitely fulfilled that role. I knew it as soon as I read Warren Weber. Even though I figured it would play harder than I expected, I was still quite surprised to see that only 28% got it right. I'm tracking 12 people on my player tracker page and only one got it wrong.

I ended up losing yesterday by missing the Alaska question with the Gadsden Purchase.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:58 am RTFQ, RTFQ, RTFQ!!!!!

I hate when my eyes do that. Mostly seems to happen when reading on my phone, which is strange as I can read the smallest of writings on packaging, and can clearly read size 4 font.

I like how 21% came up with Potter for the TV character. Almost fits in a wrong way.
+1 I also read the word as "formerly" and went with Sitka. No harm as that was my zero.

I assigned (he missed it) & received a 1 on Potsie and like Kirk was done at Warren Weber.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:16 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:58 am RTFQ, RTFQ, RTFQ!!!!!

+1 I also read the word as "formerly" and went with Sitka. No harm as that was my zero.

I assigned (he missed it) & received a 1 on Potsie and like Kirk was done at Warren Weber.
I also read it as formerly initially, which lead to my putting down American Russia. Then I caught my error and dithered endlessly over whether the “formal” name was Alaska or not. In the end, I put Alaska only to see that my dithering was needless.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On the Alaska question my first thought was Gadsden Purchase, and when I let Alaska creep into my mind, I thought it was still during Lincoln's presidency. But slowly 1867 started to feel plausible for Alaska. The one way I had to verify it was to convert the square mileage in the question to acreage so I could run it through the oft-quoted "two cents an acre" figure and see if the overall price (which I didn't know) felt right. I ended up with about $7.5 million, and that did feel right. I thought the question was asking for the name of the purchase rather than the territory, and I assumed the "formal name" stipulation was to prevent answers of "Seward's Folly" or "Seward's Icebox." I wrote "Alaska Purchase" and it was accepted.

As it turns out, the Gadsden Purchase was in the 1850s, and was less than 30,000 square miles.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Frustrating season so far. I have the most correct answers in my group but am sitting 17/20. Sure, I could be playing better defence but still a lot of bad luck involved, I think.

I went with Oregon Territory for the Alaska question. I should have known it but I got stuck on thinking it was acquired during Teddy Roosevelt's administration. I think I confused "Seward's Folly" with "Fairbanks, Alaska" in terms of associating its acquisition with an administration.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I also initially thought Gadsden purchase but when I fully re-read the question the timing was wrong but more important was the size. Gadsden is relatively small and the question was asking for something that was about 80% of the Louisiana Purchase so that eliminated Gadsden. I had thought Alaska was before 1867 but it was the only thing that made sense.

Lost 4(4)-6(5) to the last place person in my rundle. I was so thrown off by "obselete medical term" that I never would've gotten humor without knowing the play or book. I was pretty shocked to see the high get rate on that one, but it does make sense that those listed things are humors. NHO of a Mansfield bar and went with James Dean but was pretty sure it was wrong.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Greetings from within the Gadsden Purchase!

OK, raise your paw if you know that March 3rd is "What If Cats and Dogs Had Opposable Thumbs Day." It's also the birthday of my first set of kitties, in 1982. I have a sneaking suspicion that Thorsten chose the March 3rd match to post the thumbs question.

Yeah, it's sorta in my wheelhouse, but I was sure that Wings would play easier. (And "humour" harder, which I got it through a guess.) And here's my A rundle opponent, 87% career in pop music.... and he misses it. :? Didn't make a difference in the outcome, though, as it was his only miss.

I invariably also read "formally" as "formerly", so I'm thinking... what, Alyeska? Then I re-read the question. (Always a good idea.)

Funny, I knew "Mansfield" immediately from the situation and date -- 1960s, sure -- but never really noticed the bar on trucks. Out on the highway this morning... and now those bars are perfectly obvious.