Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by StevenH »

I got 6 correct on the MSC. It was nice to be a little above my career average in a season that has been brutal for me, but I did make a couple of bad moneying decisions.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

7/12, and just missed qualifying out of my rundle. I really had no idea Bose-Einstein would play so hard. I thought with two possible correct answers, it would be even easier. In retrospect, though, I doubt many people would answer either Bose or Einstein without knowing both.

Overall, the MSC felt really tough, but I wonder if that's just because the regular MDs have been lulling us into a false sense of security...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It felt tougher than normal to me, too, and my 7/12 result backs that up. With so few choices, no shock that I moneyed fairly well, but still surprised that “essays” had such a low get rate.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got 8 right, having changed Stalingrad to Leningrad. Also I changed Bose to Einstein (I got scared that I was misremembering "Boltzmann-Einstein condensate" as Bose-Einstein). I never paid enough attention to the numbers in the Cleveland question and had it narrowed down to two two-term nineteenth-century presidents with fraught administrations: Jackson and Grant. And I figured the later one made more sense, said Grant, and moneyed him. Also I wasn't sure the notation question was for dances, so I got that right but didn't money it. I got 86th percentile, but ideal moneying (for what I got right) would have put me in the 97th.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I got 5 right (Bose-Einstein / Cleveland / Kruger / Stalingrad / Angler), but moneyed a wrong guess of "Treatise" for "Essay". I also blew the Leadbelly answer with "Eileen", instead of "Irene". I could hear the lyric, but if I'd backed up to the "Good Night" part, it would have been an instaget. I've always known that song as it was my maternal grandmother's name :oops:.

The Cleveland was pulled from recognizing the math as requiring someone in between, and I only knew which president's name with 75% confidence. That and the Stalingrad guess makes me even for blowing the song. The other answers were completely opaque - I don't even know what "Modern Family" TV show is and mix it up with "The Family Guy" in my head. It was good for 338 points / 76%, above my usual performance I'm sure.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Looks like a few of us went with "Treatise" instead of "Essay." I also went with that one for my fifth money Q.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 pm Looks like a few of us went with "Treatise" instead of "Essay." I also went with that one for my fifth money Q.
A few of us +1, on both parts.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

6/12 plus bad moneying placed me in the 53rd %ile. I thought about thinking harder on the rapper, and I might have come up with Megan Thee Stallion, having looked at the list of Grammy winners a bit earlier, but I would probably still have gone with my guess of RuPaul. I'd like to think I'd have noticed the trick with Cleveland in a regular match, but liking to think is a different thing from thinking. Actually I might have been zeroed there, as AmHis is my best subject. Went with Jackson because he seemed contrarian.

My biggest coup was getting Modern Family again, though I know very little about it beyond its existence.

Leadbelly promised to "git" Irene in his dreams. The Weavers cleaned it up a bit.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Johnblue wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:32 pm 8 correct. I should’ve read the Presidential Veto question more carefully. I thought Jackson was the answer. I put Hildegarde for the German Sybil question.
Years ago, I read a fair amount about the history of brewing. According to beer historian Alan Emes, St. Hildegarde of Bingen was an herbalist whose writings included the earliest known reference to using hops in beer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So I had an eight match winning streak, tying my longest ever. Then I give my opponent three for Route 66. He is from New Zealand so I thought he wouldn’t be familiar with it. At least I salvaged a 4(3)-4(2) tie after getting three on Wendy O. Williams. I gave him zero on that because he had a high pop music score and that is the hardest of the day. At least a win or tie today can tie my longest non-losing streak. If I miss promotion by one point I will cry every time I think of Route 66.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If I hadn't gotten 0 for it, I'd complain about Himalayas not being taken for Kashmir.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:08 pm I got 5 right (Bose-Einstein / Cleveland / Kruger / Stalingrad / Angler), but moneyed a wrong guess of "Treatise" for "Essay". I also blew the Leadbelly answer with "Eileen", instead of "Irene". I could hear the lyric, but if I'd backed up to the "Good Night" part, it would have been an instaget. I've always known that song as it was my maternal grandmother's name :oops:.
Don't bury the lead here 12Footer but you were the top E Taiga performer and would've qualified out of the B, C, and D rundlers in Taiga...awesome! I live in the northeast and Irene was a memorable storm so I never even got to the singer part of that clue.

I lost yesterday 2(3)-6(4). NHO Wendy O Williams or fauvism...I read Q4 and my mind went straight to Tibet with a disputed area involving China and India. I didn't realize that China was part of the kashmir debate so I never really considered anything past Tibet. My opponents worst category was pop music and he of course got WOW.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

With three correct yesterday and an opponent whose lifetime batting average was over 300 points better than mine, I thought that a loss was inevitable. But I lucked into a 5(3)-5(3) tie. I made a bad choice by giving my opponent a 3 for baguette. "Perishable" made me think of items that are found (more commonly) in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, so I had no good guess.

I am somehow still sitting just barely above the relegation zone.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I figured Wendy O. Williams would play hard, but I was surprised it was that hard given W.O.W. I guess 40 years later the Plasmatics are pretty obscure! My opponent had a good pop music score, so I gave him one point for that question and he got it right.

I managed to get all six, but the one that was most difficult to me was baguette. That was the only thing I could think of that made sense, but it seemed like the "-ette" suffix implied a diminutive. Apparently not.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:02 am If I hadn't gotten 0 for it, I'd complain about Himalayas not being taken for Kashmir.
I had a long discussion about this with a trivia teammate. Those territories are in the Karakoram mountains. On doing some research, I’ve found that they aren’t considered a sub range of the Himalayas but rather a separate range, as is also true for the Hindu Kush. Sad to say, that didn’t mollify him at all :mrgreen:
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I'd heard the name Wendy O. Williams before but I was never going to get there. I went with GG Allin.

I think the place where I vaguely recognized her name was as a namesake of a Koopaling from Super Mario Bros: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koopaling ... _namesakes
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:17 am
alietr wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:02 am If I hadn't gotten 0 for it, I'd complain about Himalayas not being taken for Kashmir.
I had a long discussion about this with a trivia teammate. Those territories are in the Karakoram mountains. On doing some research, I’ve found that they aren’t considered a sub range of the Himalayas but rather a separate range, as is also true for the Hindu Kush. Sad to say, that didn’t mollify him at all :mrgreen:
Yeah, I considered Himalayas early on, but the presence of "Karakoram" in the question told me to keep trying.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:30 am I figured Wendy O. Williams would play hard, but I was surprised it was that hard given W.O.W. I guess 40 years later the Plasmatics are pretty obscure! My opponent had a good pop music score, so I gave him one point for that question and he got it right.

I managed to get all six, but the one that was most difficult to me was baguette. That was the only thing I could think of that made sense, but it seemed like the "-ette" suffix implied a diminutive. Apparently not.
The only reason I got Wendy O. Williams was that in 1984, I went on a field trip to Indy to study how that city handles DUI cases. One of the assistant prosecutors I spoke to had a photo of WOW in his office. The city required her to post a bond against any damages resulting from her Plasmatics concert. He told me that the real-life WOW was nothing like her on-stage persona.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I completely lucked into Wendy Williams. Don't think I've ever heard of her, just thought "Debut albums are often named after the singer. Those could be initials. What's a generic last name that starts with W?" Threw down Williams and was shocked to get it right.

Then on Q6, didn't even think of drugs.....I put KFC. Win some, lose some.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

FYI, if you see Timothy Leary's name your Pavlovian reaction should be "LSD."