Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the hoops I was nearly certain of the team being the Celtics and pretty sure Larry Bird was one of the guys. I was even more confident that John Havlicek was one and got two points for my Havilcek being accepted.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:08 am For the hoops I was nearly certain of the team being the Celtics and pretty sure Larry Bird was one of the guys. I was even more confident that John Havlicek was one and got two points for my Havilcek being accepted.
I'd bet the percentage breakdown of correct answers on that one was something like: Bird 59%, Hondo 40%, Henderson 1%
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I I butchered the spelling of Havlicek’s name but got credit anyway. Why I didn’t take the easy route and just put Bird I’ll never know. Saved a tie.

I played this game through early access and the sandwich question originally also said it was an ingredient in a pilgrim sandwich. Still missed it but had a head smack later when I realized what the hint was telling me.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

mahatma wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:15 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:08 am For the hoops I was nearly certain of the team being the Celtics and pretty sure Larry Bird was one of the guys. I was even more confident that John Havlicek was one and got two points for my Havilcek being accepted.
I'd bet the percentage breakdown of correct answers on that one was something like: Bird 59%, Hondo 40%, Henderson 1%
I wonder how many are like me and had no idea at all, then chose Bird because one of them was in the 80s.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I put Havlicek. I was just slightly more confident with him than Bird.

I was expecting the loss yesterday with only four correct, but ended up winning 7(4)-4(4). My opponent gave me zero for the Ella Fitzgerald Q and I missed it with Rosemary Clooney. I also missed the Turner Prize.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:03 pm
I put Havlicek. I was just slightly more confident with him than Bird.
I was the opposite. I was 100% confident of Bird and maybe 60/40 on Hondo. Never, ever would I have got Henderson.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:40 am
I wonder how many are like me and had no idea at all, then chose Bird because one of them was in the 80s.

In game 7 of the 1965 divisional championship against the 76s with a few seconds remaining and the Celtics up by two, Havlicek brilliantly anticipated and stole the sixer inbound pass to seal the victory. Johnny Most, the Boston radio broadcaster went nuts, shouting deliriously "Havlicek stole the ball Havlicek stole the ball!!!", since called "the most famous radio sports call ever".

I guarantee you it was/would have been an instaget for any Boston sports fan of a certain age, it certainly was for me. Unbelievably, however, when I submitted I somehow conflated Tommy Heinsohn with Havlicek and that's what I typed in. How I could do this I do not know. Both of these Celtic greats passed within the past few months. I don't like the term brain fart, not because it's crude but because I think the term brain freeze more accurately reflects what happens most of the time. This case, however, was truly a brain fart, not a freeze. I was lucky in that I still managed a tie but I fear that the missed point could easily cost me a promotion back to B.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:23 pm I guarantee you it was/would have been an instaget for any Boston sports fan of a certain age, it certainly was for me. Unbelievably, however, when I submitted I somehow conflated Tommy Heinsohn with Havlicek and that's what I typed in. How I could do this I do not know. Both of these Celtic greats passed within the past few months. I don't like the term brain fart, not because it's crude but because I think the term brain freeze more accurately reflects what happens most of the time. This case, however, was truly a brain fart, not a freeze. I was lucky in that I still managed a tie but I fear that the missed point could easily cost me a promotion back to B.
Maybe you just 'love Waltah!' a little too much.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:23 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:40 am

In game 7 of the 1965 divisional championship against the 76s with a few seconds remaining and the Celtics up by two, Havlicek brilliantly anticipated and stole the sixer inbound pass to seal the victory. Johnny Most, the Boston radio broadcaster went nuts, shouting deliriously "Havlicek stole the ball Havlicek stole the ball!!!", since called "the most famous radio sports call ever".
A college classmate who lived down the hall was from Boston. After a few beers, he'd put on the LP version of Johnny Most's famous calls. The LP's title was, of course, "Havlicek Stole the Ball". That sentence has been hard-wired in my memory ever since.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Except in Greater Detroit, where it would be Bird 100%. People are still in shock over that play, especially because it was arguably the biggest mistake of Isiah Thomas' playing career.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I’d put “The Giants win the pennant” ahead of Most’s call.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:19 pm I’d put “The Giants win the pennant” ahead of Most’s call.
For me, yours, "Do you believe in miracles?" and possibly "Down goes Frazier!" are ahead, but they're all really close.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

"Neopaleolithic"

That is all. :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Got transferred into the new Foundry league and man, is that a different beast than Taiga. B Taiga currently has 1 person over 100 TCA and maybe 2 or 3 more who could hit that mark. B Foundry has 8 already over 100 and 4 more who will likely make it. Needless to say, it's likely I'm headed to C Foundry for next season.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Couldn't pull DAESH for the life of me, so went for a BWA of ABFAB.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:41 am Couldn't pull DAESH for the life of me, so went for a BWA of ABFAB.
I went with SANDY (not as a BWA, though).
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

Knew I've heard the ISIL alternative name pronounced "dash" but needed to make it five letters, so I went with "daash." Nope.

And then I guessed "meme cute" for the novel title. Ugh.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Luckily my DAISH was accepted giving me a 4(4)-4(4) tie. It was a mirror tie, too. The ones I missed were Beauty and the Beast and Tweet Cute. I put Meet Cute just to have something not knowing just how close I was.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:57 am Luckily my DAISH was accepted giving me a 4(4)-4(4) tie.
Had to look that up to see why one would be acceptable but not the other (Daash, above). Looks like while DAESH is the normal acronym, it can also be shown as Da'ish.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Does anyone know what is controversial about daesh? I didn't know it but figured it was something odd so I put peace....lost on horrid defense yesterday to lose my spot in the promotion zone to B.