Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Armandillo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by Armandillo »

American Revolution league may be the worst of all time. The questions are disgustingly obscure.

The worst part is the smith's description calls it PG-13 and made it seem like it would be accessible.

You'd think she would figure out halfway through that the questions were too hard and changed some of the later match days.

Two thumbs down!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Armandillo wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:36 pm American Revolution league may be the worst of all time. The questions are disgustingly obscure.

The worst part is the smith's description calls it PG-13 and made it seem like it would be accessible.

You'd think she would figure out halfway through that the questions were too hard and changed some of the later match days.

Two thumbs down!
I didn't participate, but looked at one day's questions and said, "You gotta be kidding me with these."
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:29 pm
Armandillo wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:36 pm American Revolution league may be the worst of all time. The questions are disgustingly obscure.

Two thumbs down!
I didn't participate, but looked at one day's questions and said, "You gotta be kidding me with these."
One of my friends had 9 TCA in the ML and still ended up in 8th place in his group. I'm so glad I didn't participate; it would've been so demoralizing and wholly un-fun.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

kerryoakie wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:20 am

Two thumbs down!
One of my friends had 9 TCA in the ML and still ended up in 8th place in his group. I'm so glad I didn't participate; it would've been so demoralizing and wholly un-fun.
I consider myself pretty well versed in the revolution growing up in New England with a mother who was a jr high social studies teacher. I've read a lot of revolutionary war non fiction and fiction. I think there were two days where I got more than 2 right. It also should've been called colonial america more accurately, as there usually was only one or two questions about the actual revolution. And I did not notice the smith called it PG 13. I would've played anyways but anyone who called that PG-13 must be an American history college professor who specializes in colonial america. There were at least 4 questions with an under 5% get rate and the average couldn't have been much above 25% overall. Many of the questions should've been edited to make them easier.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Revolution ML was crazy tough. I ended with 19 TCA.

Last day for Puzzle League, which I am thoroughly enjoying. In 1st (which probably helps my enjoyment), and players 2 & 3 are playing each other, but are both only a point behind me and each has a better MPD than me. If I win or tie, I'm in the championship. Lose and one of them wins, I'm in. If I lose and they tie, I'm out. My opponent today has forfeited twice and beered twice, so it may depend on if he shows up or not.

Have no idea what to expect with the lit one, which I'm doing. I'll learn something new, I guess, so that's always good.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woof wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:32 am Hey, all you gluttons for punishment! My 1DS on Acronyms and Initialisms is live today.
A couple of years ago, when I decided to start using Anki and get serious about getting better at trivia, I decided that every day I'd go through 1 page from Steven Farrell's "Game Show Trivia" and add the facts I didn't know as cards. By the end of a year, I'd have done the whole book, and my trivia skills would skyrocket.

After 2 months I had done 5 pages, grinding my way through "Abbreviations and Acronyms". By the time I had worked through those, "Aliases" just seemed like more of a grind, so I went back to "just adding whatever I wanted" to cards. It's served me well.

I can attribute fully half the quiz to that studying, though. And I have no idea why I stuck with "The SP in ESPN is SPorts" when I knew darn well programming was in there. Couple that with putting down "Aid" instead of "Assistance" for CARE (since I'm also super behind in my Anki reviews, duh.), and I could have had a Top Ten finish. 88th percentile is pretty good though. I had fun.

(Thanks also for not including "HIPAA", which I would have, embarrassingly, gotten wrong. I always get it wrong.)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

About 70% of my points came from NASDAQ showing up on Jeopardy! earlier this week.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

RandyG wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:28 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:22 pm I have a general question about LL. I was in it several years ago; my family came upon hard times financially when my wife got injured and I lost my job, so I had to bow out.

I remember Thorsten saying that he was considering a policy where one cannot rejoin. I no longer get the emails at the end of the seasons asking if I want to rejoin. Did he reinstitute the policy?
I don't know the current policy, but he will surely consider special cases, and you might have to go through the newfangled wait list. Write to him directly. Good luck with that. I can give you a referral, but that could ensure the wait list, if it doesn't trigger something first about past players. Best to contact him directly first.
Thanks for offering to vouch for me. As it turns out, I was able to renew my membership with no questions asked.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:32 pm
RandyG wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:28 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:22 pm I have a general question about LL. I was in it several years ago; my family came upon hard times financially when my wife got injured and I lost my job, so I had to bow out.

I remember Thorsten saying that he was considering a policy where one cannot rejoin. I no longer get the emails at the end of the seasons asking if I want to rejoin. Did he reinstitute the policy?
I don't know the current policy, but he will surely consider special cases, and you might have to go through the newfangled wait list. Write to him directly. Good luck with that. I can give you a referral, but that could ensure the wait list, if it doesn't trigger something first about past players. Best to contact him directly first.
Thanks for offering to vouch for me. As it turns out, I was able to renew my membership with no questions asked.
Great!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I made the championship of the General Knowledge Puzzle League ML in a nail-biter: in MD11 I was in #2 against #3, who would leapfrog me into second place if he won; I initially had two right answers and one Kosman Koin, then I just had a flash of inspiration to pull an answer for #6, which prevented me from having to flip the Koin and enabled me to backsolve one more question, and I won 7(5)-3(3).

In the championship, I got ten right, but moneyed my two wrong answers, landing myself in 283rd place, the lowest of anyone who gave a double-digit amount of correct answers. I knew those two answers were WAGs and likely to be wrong, but I figured if they weren't right I wasn't going to win anyway, so I should be aggressive in case they were. Plus, unlike standalone 1DSes where I'm always reluctant to money wild guesses, I'd already previously proven myself. In end I lost 91 points and dropped just under 200 places in the standings (vs. if I had moneyed the best five correct answers), and to that I say "so what" and appreciate my accomplishments.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

seaborgium wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:28 am I made the championship of the General Knowledge Puzzle League ML in a nail-biter: in MD11 I was in #2 against #3, who would leapfrog me into second place if he won; I initially had two right answers and one Kosman Koin, then I just had a flash of inspiration to pull an answer for #6, which prevented me from having to flip the Koin and enabled me to backsolve one more question, and I won 7(5)-3(3).

In the championship, I got ten right, but moneyed my two wrong answers, landing myself in 283rd place, the lowest of anyone who gave a double-digit amount of correct answers. I knew those two answers were WAGs and likely to be wrong, but I figured if they weren't right I wasn't going to win anyway, so I should be aggressive in case they were. Plus, unlike standalone 1DSes where I'm always reluctant to money wild guesses, I'd already previously proven myself. In end I lost 91 points and dropped just under 200 places in the standings (vs. if I had moneyed the best five correct answers), and to that I say "so what" and appreciate my accomplishments.
I also somehow made the championship...My group has to be the "easiest" ever in LL ML history. No A players, 1 B player (who got relegated), 3 C players, 5 D players, and 3 E's and 1 rookie going into D. I never solved any of the puzzles and it took me 3 days (which I went 2-0-1 on) to even realize the daily flavor text meant anything. I really didn't even take it seriously until I found myself 4-0-1 through 5 days. I only had 32 TCA, but it was the most in the group. I only got 1 right in the championship (Duncan) but really only took about 5 minutes to answer as I didn't belong there...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Preface: I hope this isn't stepping on the previously established JBoard rundle which has been dormant a few seasons.

Announcement: ALL Boardies are welcome to join the mutant private rundle for LL89. I've toyed with this idea for bizarro scoring rules and am just curious about how it might work to make a level playing field for mixed skill levels from A to Z. I hope our past players can indulge this experiment, but if not, we will go back to standard format for LL90.

Scoring - of course TI doesn't have provisions for local rules, but using the game results, we can determine the "winner" as a combination of:
1) Most 3's allowed
2) Fewest 0's allowed
3) Unforced points allowed
4) DE
5) tbd if any other metrics or derivative stats can be conjured.
6) "winner" might be just the sum of place finish for the subject stats

Benefits (possibly)
1) Level playing field across A through E players
2) Will be about equally fun/interesting with 10 to 50 players
3) Potential defense skills improvement for your regular matches (or not, can't hurt can it?).

The challenge is to play opposite defense. I think this has the potential of sharpening your regular match play by giving another viewpoint. As far as I know, the private rundle stats don't tarnish your official LL record - if I am overlooking something, please let me know.
I've tried to gameplan this and model it and I just can't figure out how it will flow. Will E players actually get an edge since you really don't know what kind of surprise crap we may know? It's easier for E players to handicap the A players - a six-pack is a six-pack after all.
Of course we are on the honor system to try to lose in good faith. I think by definition everybody on this board and in LL is curious, so I hope I can get buy-in from A's through E's, and especially the alumni. Let's have a season in Crazytown and see how it goes!

Rundle name: JBizarro / pw: alextrebek

Disclaimer: Please let me know your JBoard handle for my progress reports, comments, pokes and jabs. If it is your name and you wish to remain anonymous, I will not dox you in postings except as anon1 or similar.

I'll be cutting/pasting this post to previous JBoardlite alums. Any and all plausible suggestions will be considered and implemented, including impeachment of the commissioner :roll:

Reminder - You need to be a Premier member or above (the $50 membership level). Registration deadline is 12 May. Last to register is in danger of being the odd man out, I hope we can come out even.

PM me if any questions - if it is time sensitive you can email [email protected].

I shall create a new JBoard thread with this dupe information, but in season will plan to get into whatever LL89 thread gets started.

Come and help us break Learned League!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Film buffs (and others, to be inclusive): My 1DS on Neo-Noir (Film Noir 1960-present) is live at Learned League today.
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Will the "normal" private rundles be back?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:55 am Film buffs (and others, to be inclusive): My 1DS on Neo-Noir (Film Noir 1960-present) is live at Learned League today.
Hah! I didn’t realize that was yours, Randy. Fun quiz!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

kerryoakie wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:20 am

Two thumbs down!
I'm currently reading David McCullough's "1776." I didn't participate in the ML, but figure I'll look at the question and see how I would have done after I finish the book. Based on what I'm hearing I shouldn't expect to get many correct even with this assistance.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:48 pm
RandyG wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:55 am Film buffs (and others, to be inclusive): My 1DS on Neo-Noir (Film Noir 1960-present) is live at Learned League today.
Hah! I didn’t realize that was yours, Randy. Fun quiz!
If it's about old-timey music or old-timey cinema, then it's a decent bet I'm involved somehow.

On Acronyms... having published I knew ISBN, AFL-CIO just because, and somehow knew EPCOT and ESPN. Other than that perhaps only a word or two from the full names. From the numbers, I apparently wasn't alone in scratching my head. A very fair quiz, nevertheless, as all pretty well-known acronyms.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rats. Got all 12 right in Comic Strips, and was just 16 points away from the Championship.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Armandillo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:50 am Will the "normal" private rundles be back?
(Apologies if there actually is someone that can give an informed answer. I am not aware of any such titled position or gatekeeper.)

Was there ever a "normal" private rundle? I don't think there is a critical mass of players at each level to have five, or even 3 different JBoard-connected rundles. I've tried not to "poach" players from the original JBoard themed rundle, but also to welcome all comers. Two A players contributed last season, and did not dampen the fun in any way as ClassicRoadster owned the room after shaking off a tight chase group.

Our little experiment this season is an exercise in self competition, and I think may be a real challenge. Can I assign 25 threes? And Zero Zeroes? The first is easy against A players, and hard against us mortals. And the converse is true for the second part. (We may have to throw out games with six-packs and goose eggs.) That's why I think it would be more fun with a blended group to make both tasks difficult.

My interest isn't in "winning" against peers, and certainly not against superior forces. The private rundle lets us trash talk a little and self-loathe a little and discuss our silly answers with other players. We don't get to do that in the LL rundle (generally) even with players you've been matched against dozens of times.

You are welcome to join us - since you don't control our assignations, it won't really matter to the bizarro gamers if you are playing bizarro rules or standard rules. With all the threes you can expect, you might "win" :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

alietr wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:13 pm Rats. Got all 12 right in Comic Strips, and was just 16 points away from the Championship.
I would have gotten close to 0 right and didn’t play that one. Most of my comic strips knowledge comes from reading them in the local newspaper as a kid. That local paper didn’t have a lot of the comics that show up in trivia.

How did you acquire your comic strips knowledge? Reading comic strips? Working at a newspaper? Just really liking them?

I’m playing the one-days if people in here say they’re hosting them. It’s unsatisfying to rank in the bottom quartile but I’m learning new things so that’s alright.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.