Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by MattKnowles »

If there is any lingering confusion about the dolphin/shark comments this might clear things up:
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:08 am Irrawaddy was a clue in one of my UToC games (probably my favorite game I actually won).
Shortly after I learned of the Irrawaddy (via an AP headline I saw on TransitTV while riding the bus), I believe I submitted a correction suggestion for J! Archive's spelling "Irawadi" for that game.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

The LL website is currently paused while final LL88 results are being tabulated and published. Those results will be available at 2:30am PT.

Thank you for your patience.
I am not a fan of this new development. At all.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was the season from hell. I finished second to last in my rundle and am going back down to D, and I had my worst TCA since LL79.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:42 am
The LL website is currently paused while final LL88 results are being tabulated and published. Those results will be available at 2:30am PT.

Thank you for your patience.
I am not a fan of this new development. At all.
Wow it said that? I’ve never seen a time estimate before, what’s up with that? Lucky break for me, I went to bed early for once and just happened to wake up somewhere around 5:50 AM Eastern and the results were there waiting.

Pretty frequently I am there hitting refresh between 2:30 and 3:00 Eastern so that would’ve been a long wait.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Lefty wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:42 am
"Meet cute" rang the faintest of bells, though I wouldn't have thought it had earned "term" status. I said "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Facebook", just to say something (though I probably didn't bother to capitalize all those words).
As far as I am concerned, this should be the BWA this season.

By the way, I just realized how badly I am going to be slaughtered in B League next season. While my total match points for the season (112) was fifth best in my C rundle, it would be tied for last in the B league rundle I going to (Laguna) among all returning players. Well, at least I have a few weeks to enjoy my best season ever (16-6-3).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Lefty wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:42 am

"Meet cute" rang the faintest of bells, though I wouldn't have thought it had earned "term" status. I said "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Facebook", just to say something (though I probably didn't bother to capitalize all those words).
I went with “instagramma set us up on a blind date”.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I spent much of the second half of the season stuck behind LangenT for the top defense in A Keystone. But on the very last day he dropped a 9(5) and dropped to second place, and I finish at the top of the DE board with a .817 . It's not the best in all of Keystone, though. That honor goes to SchulmanL in D1, with a hearty .822!

Something to shoot for in LL89.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

New TCA record for me: 111, or 14 higher than my past 13 season average... :shock:

And my new idea paid off on the last day...found a YouTube playlist Monday that reflects the Billboard Hot 100. Blinding Lights was in the first 10.
Didn't get a win...opponent knew natural while I guessed immaculate, but it's nice to have relatively immediate feedback.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I checked the results this morning expecting to have fallen from the championship zone and turns out I won my rundle! I expected to be sunk on a "read the damn question" error. I put down "Norman Invasion" for Q2. I didn't expect that would be accepted, and it wasn't, but I still pulled out a 6(4)-4(4) win. Good thing my opponent didn't know I'm a photographer since he gave me three points for the SL question.

That's my first rundle win at any level and also a new personal high in TCA with 124.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Managed to win my last two games and stayed just above relegation. 2nd season in a row with 91 TCA, so I'm about +20 to QPct. Finished with a respectable .723 DE. My career is now a completely balanced 311-311-103.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Good end to the season for me as I got 6 correct and also went 10-1-0 in the last 11 days to jump from 16/20 up to 3/20.

This was also the best of my three seasons with 99 correct answers.

I thought I was decent in film trivia but in actuality it seems to be an area for improvement. I do decently in a Jeopardy context but LL takes it up a few notches. I only went 3/10 this season.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

A rough day, but a mid-season run of mediocrity plus the season's timely finish sufficed to keep me in A.

The SLR answer didn't come easily, but eventually "lens" struck me as the word most conspicuously not in the clue, and then "single lens" sounded sort of familiar.

I found the song clue unsatisfying. Of course, it didn't help that I missed it. But I expected something more Christmas-sounding, maybe involving deer/dear, though I guess that would be cheating.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

It just dawned on me that the league symbol roundel for the foundry rundle is an anvil.

:roll:

Unless they're casting it for a customer that owns a forge, you will not find an anvil in a foundry.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:46 pm It just dawned on me that the league symbol roundel for the foundry rundle is an anvil.

Unless they're casting it for a customer that owns a forge, you will not find an anvil in a foundry.
True, but it's cool-looking. What would you use in its place? Molten metal being poured from a crucible, maybe?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

econgator wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:49 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:46 pm It just dawned on me that the league symbol roundel for the foundry rundle is an anvil.

True, but it's cool-looking. What would you use in its place? Molten metal being poured from a crucible, maybe?
I cropped this from something that is probably not available to use:

You could probably outline the molten metal and change its color to make it two colors only.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I had my best finish in an A rundle -- 6th place. I also led A Lyceum in defensive efficiency, at .750. Good season for me.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:21 pm If there is any lingering confusion about the dolphin/shark comments this might clear things up:
Spoiler
Matt,
Thanks for letting me in on the joke :lol:. It was only about 3 levels over my head. I hadn't seen the old SNL crew in a long time - this skit aged pretty well.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Quickie JBL synopsis:

mahatma took the varsity division with 19-2-4 record and DE at .747 (second overall).

Junior division:
classicroadster took the gold in the JBL at 16-8-1, 33 points, and .663 DE (9th overall).
kerryoakie flipped the order on the final day for silver at 12-10-3, 27 points, and .692 DE (8th overall).
tfsis1 had a great JBL season to catch the bronze at 10-9-6, 26 points, and .736 DE (third overall).

possibly some more stats on singletons, sweeps, etc.. coming later ;). I'm trying not to hijack the league thread too flagrantly.
Congrats to the podium finishers and thanks for playing! Please PM me or post here if you want early notice for LL89 JBL, and any suggestions/ideas are welcome. I'm really curious if playing a bizarro version with reverse defense would be fun - I am a natural at it :).
=======
I had my best season with 73 TCA and finished 3rd to go back through the revolving door from E into D Taiga. My three sibs are all going the other way back to E Taiga. tfsis1 was almost mathematically safe from relegation but the bubble player pulled a six-pack on the last day and the other buffer player caught a forfeit win from a much better opponent.

Curiously, there were no other six-packs in C, D, or E and only the top two players in B got them. It's sad if the bubble player cheated, and even sadder if not. She is from Michigan and could have had a shot at the hockey question. We don't actually care, and don't want to start a negative thread. It just seems deliciously ironic that the only two rules (don't forfeit, don't cheat) of the game may have been a factor. It's a good time for a Llama break, and we will be glad to get back into it for LL89.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Should've had my third beer of the season but despite reading many articles about GameStop I could not remember the ticker symbol... It didn't matter as I won 8(5)- 5(4) to end with an improbable promotion to B for next season (needed a forfeit loss from the player in second going into the last day). I set personal records for TCA with 95 and TMP and also CAA and TPA. I expect to be right back down in C for LL90... I know a lot of people on here and the folks on Learned Lag have talked about how hard they found this season. I personally found it much easier than normal and I only had 1 day with less than 3 correct answers which is the lowest for me by a long shot. It did seem like a lot of the questions were right in my wheelhouse and didn't take a ton of thought. Lucky me I guess, hope it continues....