Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by Volante »

Surprised this hasn't been made already, it's right around the corner.

I'm still working on my change of address forms...Foundry now, guess I better bring the heat and not slag off

As always, talking about the day's questions is strictly verboten.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by SBurrus »

I have been moved to Foundry as well for this season. This is the third or fourth different league I've been in since joining a few years ago. I guess that's a sign of growth for LL.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

SBurrus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:48 amI guess that's a sign of growth for LL.
Although we're not too far from LL being capped at 100 leagues (as the commissioner has announced), so from then on, branches switching leagues should be an extremely rare event.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm looking forward to the new season. Good look, all!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

In my rookie season (LL63), there were 11 leagues and so many rookie rundles that the league grew from around 2,200 to 2,800. I think that's still the largest percentage growth from one LL season to the next, except maybe one of the first few seasons. But the growth has been really impressive all the time even if the second derivative of growth has mostly been negative since then.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:19 am In my rookie season (LL63), there were 11 leagues and so many rookie rundles that the league grew from around 2,200 to 2,800. I think that's still the largest percentage growth from one LL season to the next, except maybe one of the first few seasons. But the growth has been really impressive all the time even if the second derivative of growth has mostly been negative since then.
For some reason, I made this graph a few seasons ago:

LL Growth.PNG
LL Growth.PNG (10.68 KiB) Viewed 7311 times
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:42 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:19 am In my rookie season (LL63), there were 11 leagues and so many rookie rundles that the league grew from around 2,200 to 2,800. I think that's still the largest percentage growth from one LL season to the next, except maybe one of the first few seasons. But the growth has been really impressive all the time even if the second derivative of growth has mostly been negative since then.

LL Growth.PNG
Just what you’d expect from a pyramid scheme like LL :mrgreen:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:39 pm

LL Growth.PNG
Just what you’d expect from a pyramid scheme like LL :mrgreen:
As far as I can tell, Thorsten's making a pretty good living out of it.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Note: according to LL's Twitter, out of deference to those suffering power outages, MD1 has been postponed until Monday, 2/22.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

LL Growth.PNG
I'm probably nerdy enough to have made this graph. But no way would I remember it and find it at a later date, at least until I just finished re-doing the whole thing. The format and rules must have had some step changes along the way to scale up from tens and hundreds. I wonder if we are due for the creation of an "F" level :lol:. At least today on Jeopardy I learned where the name of my rundle "Taiga" comes from (not spoilered, it is in the clue).

I am in Taiga E for my second tour, after demotion from D after a bad season. Meanwhile, my three sibs have clawed up to D so I will hopefully play good enough to get back next season.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

For anyone who has lost track, the questions for the first day of the new season are now up. As ever, any discussion of live questions, however oblique, is strictly prohibited.
I'm smart and I want respect.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Both of my correct answers on MD1 were guesses. I don't listen to much modern music anymore so Driver's License for the music question was a real guess. For the Australia question, I got credit for Banjo Bart...again, a real guess. I missed the easiest question of the day (Caterpillar).

Lost in my regular rundle and managed a win in my private rundle.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Thanks to the Current Events thread for Driver's License. Earned a 6(5) for the win. Missed the Banjo question....by answering "Banjo Kazooie" as a joke. I guess too much info?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have no idea who Olivia Rodrigo is or what she got, so I went with a BWA of 'herpes'.
TheLibmanMop
Contributor

Post by TheLibmanMop »

I am in A for the first time, and I was VERY lucky to get a win yesterday.

It's never a good feeling when you miss a question with an 87% get rate.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Didn't recall Drivers Licence from the study guide, but I did get it from this:
https://news.avclub.com/snls-tough-guys ... 1846319015

(And yes, licence was accepted. I haven't been able to spell it like an American since introduced to Bond. (Thanks, Licence to Kill!))
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Started out with a six-pack yesterday (and a win), which is nice. No way I was getting "Driver's License" except for the SNL sketch.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:15 am I have no idea who Olivia Rodrigo is or what she got, so I went with a BWA of 'herpes'.
That's funny.

I didn't know who she was either until I went over recent Billboard #1 singles. "Driver's License" has spent five weeks a the top of the chart.

As pointed out upthread, she also came up in an SNL skit.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:15 am I have no idea who Olivia Rodrigo is or what she got, so I went with a BWA of 'herpes'.
Like many others, I went with Gamestop stock.

Had I actually guessed, I would have had the MCWA of cars.

Defended properly and won 2(2)-1(2).
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm
Like many others, I went with Gamestop stock.

Had I actually guessed, I would have had the MCWA of cars.

Defended properly and won 2(2)-1(2).
I defended properly, but my opponent did not answer properly. Tied at 7(4). It's a little scary when the question that 'deserves' a 3 in your rundle has over 60% correct.