Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not as close as others on the social media meeting as I had "Boy friends girl".
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:09 am Does anyone know what is controversial about daesh? I didn't know it but figured it was something odd so I put peace....lost on horrid defense yesterday to lose my spot in the promotion zone to B.
 it is considered derogatory, as it resembles the Arabic words Daes ("one who crushes, or tramples down, something underfoot") and Dāhis (loosely translated: "one who sows discord")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_S ... evant#Name
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:41 am Couldn't pull DAESH for the life of me, so went for a BWA of ABFAB.
I fought off the temptation to go for the BWA with "Amway", then guessed wrong with "Islam". (Hey, it starts with "I", like ISIS and ISIL).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

ilcap wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:51 am Knew I've heard the ISIL alternative name pronounced "dash" but needed to make it five letters, so I went with "daash." Nope.

And then I guessed "meme cute" for the novel title. Ugh.
I was happy to see the question, until I hit the five letter requirement. I wrote down Dashe, Dassh, Daash, and went with the Daash. I didn't get a head slap on seeing the answer, so I think I've never seen it in writing. I remember Obama using the term along with ISIL/ISIS. I didn't know about the negative connotation.

I just guessed "Swipe right" for the novel.

In the JBL, Kerryoakie nailed two singletons getting "Tweet Cute", and "Daesh". And twelvefootsis1 nailed "Beauty and the Beast". Way to pick up the trash!

Classicroadster / tfsis1 / kerryoakie are at 29/26/23 points with 4 points in play the next two days, so there could be movement. Bamaman is in range to steal a silver or bronze with 22 points and a slight MPD edge but him and tfsis1 both play Krakens today :o .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yesterday’s loss eliminates me from promotion to C. Never heard of meet cute.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:10 am
ilcap wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:51 am Knew I've heard the ISIL alternative name pronounced "dash" but needed to make it five letters, so I went with "daash." Nope.
I was happy to see the question, until I hit the five letter requirement. I wrote down Dashe, Dassh, Daash, and went with the Daash. I didn't get a head slap on seeing the answer, so I think I've never seen it in writing. I remember Obama using the term along with ISIL/ISIS. I didn't know about the negative connotation.

In the JBL, Kerryoakie nailed two singletons getting "Tweet Cute", and "Daesh". And twelvefootsis1 nailed "Beauty and the Beast". Way to pick up the trash!

Classicroadster / tfsis1 / kerryoakie are at 29/26/23 points with 4 points in play the next two days, so there could be movement. Bamaman is in range to steal a silver or bronze with 22 points and a slight MPD edge but him and tfsis1 both play Krakens today :o .
I think the US government started using Daesh as opposed to 'Islamic State' as a way of not legitimizing them. Also, the derogatory part probably doesn't hurt. I have heard that term used a lot in watching interviews with Kurds and others who had to deal with that reign of terror.

One thing JBL and my public rundle have in common: I am the absolute worst in both when it comes to FT defense. If you'd been watching for the past week, you'd see that I'm most decidedly not a kraken. I'm only a dolphin, ma'am.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mahatma wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:15 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:08 am For the hoops I was nearly certain of the team being the Celtics and pretty sure Larry Bird was one of the guys. I was even more confident that John Havlicek was one and got two points for my Havilcek being accepted.
I'd bet the percentage breakdown of correct answers on that one was something like: Bird 59%, Hondo 40%, Henderson 1%
Someone started a poll and you're pretty close: right now it's 66% Bird, 34% Havlicek (accounting for only correct answers)
https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14153
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

If I'd known my guess of Beauty and the Beast was going to be right, I'd have wasted less time trying to figure DAESH and Tweet Cute. On the former clue, it helped to remember that the guy is typically billed first (Romeo and Juliet, Tristan and Isolde, Hansel and Gretel).

I sure wish I'd had that "pilgrim sandwich" clue to work with on the Turkey question.

I said Havlicek but was 99% sure of Bird vs. the Pistons. Henderson, nope.
I'm smart and I want respect.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I came up with "Love at First Swipe" thinking of Tinder. "Meet Cute" was new to me.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:10 am In the JBL, Kerryoakie nailed two singletons getting "Tweet Cute", and "Daesh". And twelvefootsis1 nailed "Beauty and the Beast". Way to pick up the trash!
I'm happy to support the singleton cause! My defense has taken a horrific dump the past few matches, losing or tying matches where I had more CA. Tweet Cute was an educated guess based on meet-cute, but I knew Daesh cold! For some reason, this meme lives rent-free in my brain...

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The discussion here was a help in yesterday’s questions.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2603
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I was very surprised at the low get rate on the Taxi Squad question. Apparently a lot of LLers weren't watching the Katie Couric-hosted Jeopardy episodes. https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6968

I gave my opponent a zero on the question thinking that he had to have seen it, but he got it wrong.

By the way, I had a great season (15-6-3) and have gotten myself promoted to B League (clinched with a day left) where I will likely be bruised and bloodied like last time.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

mahatma wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:25 am I'm only a dolphin, ma'am.
Irrawaddy dolphin or bottlenose dolphin? You're that clever shark, aren't you.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

georgespelvin wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:40 am I was very surprised at the low get rate on the Taxi Squad question. Apparently a lot of LLers weren't watching the Katie Couric-hosted Jeopardy episodes. https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6968

I gave my opponent a zero on the question thinking that he had to have seen it, but he got it wrong.

By the way, I had a great season (15-6-3) and have gotten myself promoted to B League (clinched with a day left) where I will likely be bruised and bloodied like last time.
Games/Sports was my opponent's best category and he missed Taxi Squad for 0 while I got a 0 for getting it. Brownian was my only miss as that was not going to happen without multiple choice. I wrote Boylant to have something.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

It wasn't near to mattering, but I was annoyed to confuse Irrawaddy and Chao Phraya. They're one of those pairs where I always need to think of both to be sure I'm picking the right one, and I guess I got lazy.

I was happy to come up with Forsyth(ian) as a guess for the botanist. Another Scot, but born in 1737 rather than 1773.

"Meet cute" rang the faintest of bells, though I wouldn't have thought it had earned "term" status. I said "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Facebook", just to say something (though I probably didn't bother to capitalize all those words).
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:16 am
mahatma wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:25 am I'm only a dolphin, ma'am.
Irrawaddy dolphin or bottlenose dolphin? You're that clever shark, aren't you.
(quoted MK, but addressing mahatma)
Yeah, Dolphin sounds about right 8-) . From da' google:
Dolphins
Dolphins. Our first intelligent sea creature on our list probably isn't a surprise—dolphins have long been recognized for their complex behavior. Their brains are larger than humans', weighing in at 3.5 pounds (ours are only 2.9 pounds!).

==================
eta - I just now got it :oops:. The 1972 Miami Dolphins went 17-0. After 20 games, you were 17-0. (probably had 3 preseason game ties :)). Well played!
===================================
I have neglected announcing the varsity race in the JBL because the dolphin racked up an undefeated 17-0-3 record through 20 matches and had a 37-31 point edge on the unknown kraken (please PM me your JBoard handle if you wish to share it). No drama there until MD21 when we put out the tuna nets :twisted: . Going into today's finale, it is down to a one point edge at 40-39. I will lay four quatloos on the dolphin :).

In the JBL division, classicroadster has locked up the gold. Twelvefootsis1 is in second but the silver/bronze is still in play. Kerryoakie needs a win/tie vs. twelvefootsis1 tie/loss to get the silver (1 point difference and huge MPD advantage). bamaman is 3 points from the podium and is resigned to the lead medal. I got kicked out of the chase group a while back but have a 1 point edge on SBurrus for the participation trophy.
I am playing tfsis1 and hope to even our 4-5 record so there will be no mercy or tanking for a family member :). bamaman is playing the spoiler match against kerryoakie and is also going for 75 TCA so it will be a cage match.

Disclaimer: (for any new readers trying to sort this nonsense out) - the trash talk and the competitive standings jibber jabber is all fake. This is the fun rundle I hope!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I have that episode two weeks ago to thank for the "taxi squad" get. That was the first time I'd come across that phrase.
Irrawaddy was a clue in one of my UToC games (probably my favorite game I actually won).

Just glad to get a win yesterday, There have been a couple of times in the past week or so where I got a 9(6)-9(6) tie when there were only like 5 people in the entire rundle to beer that day.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BWA options: https://www.learnedleague.com/thorsten/vote.php?vbwa&88

Good on the selection committee...easily a third of that is gold with smatterings of silver and bronze too. Some clunkers, sure, but feels like there's less than usual.

"Hershey's Special Dark Matter" is prob my fav, and being space related is in absolutely* no** way influencing my pick.

*entirely
**every
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:54 pm BWA options: https://www.learnedleague.com/thorsten/vote.php?vbwa&88

Good on the selection committee...easily a third of that is gold with smatterings of silver and bronze too. Some clunkers, sure, but feels like there's less than usual.

"Hershey's Special Dark Matter" is prob my fav, and being space related is in absolutely* no** way influencing my pick.

*entirely
**every
I am up to three career nominations...looking for win #2, but don’t expect it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:51 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:54 pm BWA options: https://www.learnedleague.com/thorsten/vote.php?vbwa&88

*entirely
**every
I am up to three career nominations...looking for win #2, but don’t expect it.
I kinda have one (I just said "Gamestop stock").