Tuesday, February 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 am Anyone else think that for "In Genesis 4 this murder takes place", Cain and Abel should have gotten a BMS?
Maybe, technically, but I'm fine with it; not doing so kept the game moving. J! is still a TV show first.

With a buzzer race like that, the writers should just pin it to one name or the other rather than leave it open ended.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Golf wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:35 pm
Trying to look at this clue objectively, taking the terms surveyor and landmark indicate a natural formation. A surveyor wouldn’t be interested in the Taj Mahal for example. Even so, you still have to work your way out of present Indian geography.

I think it’s a fair clue, but perhaps more a ToC type FJ.
It seems to me that they try to toughen the ToC FJs with obscurer material but they don't often require harder thinking.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Lefty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:31 pm
Golf wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:35 pm
Trying to look at this clue objectively, taking the terms surveyor and landmark indicate a natural formation. A surveyor wouldn’t be interested in the Taj Mahal for example. Even so, you still have to work your way out of present Indian geography.

I think it’s a fair clue, but perhaps more a ToC type FJ.
It seems to me that they try to toughen the ToC FJs with obscurer material but they don't often require harder thinking.
That’s probably accurate.

Standard Jeopardy knowledge of Everest is tallest mountain, Himalayas, 1953 Hillary/Norgay, Nepal/Tibet. That’s it. But if you know more than standard Jeopardy knowledge of Everest, the clue is cake. You don’t have to connect any dots or even think.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

We are snowbound, so why not some peanut gallery posts :). (It's not trolling when I do it :lol:)
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:03 am Time for me to be surprised by the FJ difficulty again. They spotted you 'surveyor', 'geographic' and, indirectly, 'English'. That leaves you 'Everest' and...probably everything else left is too obscure for J!
Three good TOMS indeed, but you will note that the "India" component cancelled their effect. A poll question might be "Would you (likely) have gotten there without the India reference?" Yes for me.
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:39 am
heppm01 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 am Anyone else think that for "In Genesis 4 this murder takes place", Cain and Abel should have gotten a BMS?
Maybe, technically, but I'm fine with it; not doing so kept the game moving. J! is still a TV show first.

With a buzzer race like that, the writers should just pin it to one name or the other rather than leave it open ended.
I'm frankly glad they just let it go at that. Cain got the blame, but who knows if it was Cain, or antifa, or just a witch hunt?

Excerpt from food fight - kudos to both boardies for civility :!:
mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:34 am
A better wording would have been: Mining is big in the Yukon, including zinc, copper, precious metal & from the Crest deposit, the ore of this abundant metal

Would you at least agree with that?
This re-phrasing is much worse. They definitely aren't mining native copper, and zinc doesn't occur in nature at all. I NHO the Crest deposit, and this clue is a coin flip between Iron vs. Aluminum, not hematite vs. bauxite (or whatever). for enlightenment:
Spoiler
Tarbuck, Earth's crust is made up of several elements: oxygen, 46.6 percent by weight; silicon, 27.7 percent; aluminum, 8.1 percent; iron, 5 percent; calcium, 3.6 percent; sodium, 2.8 percent, potassium, 2.6 percent, and magnesium, 2.1 percent.
It's definitely not meant to be a chemistry question, and any drilled down response besides "iron" would just send the judges to the internet to see what rock is being mined.

------------------------------

Was anybody else floored by APGAR? Why is all this cool stuff kept from us angry white males? Just how mean is it to give newborn infants tests right out of the womb? At least let them have some coffee first.
PSA: it stands for "Appearance, Pulse, Grimace, Activity, and Respiration."
brief paste up for further enrichment:
Spoiler
What Does "Apgar" Mean?

Apgar stands for "Appearance, Pulse, Grimace, Activity, and Respiration."

In the test, five things are used to check a baby's health. Each is scored on a scale of 0 to 2, with 2 being the best score:

Appearance (skin color)
Pulse (heart rate)
Grimace response (reflexes)
Activity (muscle tone)
Respiration (breathing rate and effort)

Doctors, midwives, or nurses add up these five factors for the Apgar score. Scores are between 10 and 0. Ten is the highest score possible, but few babies get it. That's because most babies' hands and feet remain blue until they have warmed up.

Apgar Scoring
Apgar Sign 2 1 0
Appearance
(skin color) Normal color all over (hands and feet are pink) Normal color (but hands and feet are bluish) Bluish-gray or pale all over
Pulse
(heart rate) Normal (above 100 beats per minute) Below 100 beats per minute Absent
(no pulse)
Grimace
("reflex irritability") Pulls away, sneezes, coughs, or cries with stimulation Facial movement only (grimace) with stimulation Absent (no response to stimulation)
Activity
(muscle tone) Active, spontaneous movement Arms and legs flexed with little movement No movement, "floppy" tone
Respiration
(breathing rate and effort) Normal rate and effort, good cry Slow or irregular breathing, weak cry Absent (no breathing)
What Does My Baby's Score Mean?

A baby who scores a 7 or above on the test is considered in good health. A lower score does not mean that your baby is unhealthy. It means that your baby may need some immediate medical care, such as suctioning of the airways or oxygen to help him or her breathe better. Perfectly healthy babies sometimes have a lower-than-usual score, especially in the first few minutes after birth.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Re: Epiphany and Mardi Gras, Here beginneth the penance of Opus the Penguin in this, the beginning day of the penitential season.

Forgive me, for my instruction has been full of error through my own fault, both in things said and in things left unsaid. It looks as though for most traditions, Epiphany ends some time before Lent starts. One then enters ordinary time until Shrovetide which is the runup to Lent. Or something. Trying to figure this out is like doing taxes. In any event, the Roman Catholic tradition--which is the relevant one for New Orleans and Mardi Gras--has a gap between the end of Epiphany and the beginning of Lent, so their Mardi Gras is not the concluding day of their Epiphany.

Meanwhile, in New Orleans, Mardi Gras is a 12-day celebration. So it's fair to describe it as "culminating" on the actual day of Mardi Gras, i.e. Fat Tuesday.

I hereby withdraw my objection to Mardi Gras being the correct response, and I acknowledge that Ken and the judges were correct in negging Epiphany. In penance, I will leave the JBoard and not come back for 6.5 weeks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm Re: Epiphany and Mardi Gras, Here beginneth the penance of Opus the Penguin in this, the beginning day of the penitential season.

Forgive me, for my instruction has been full of error through my own fault, both in things said and in things left unsaid. It looks as though for most traditions, Epiphany ends some time before Lent starts. One then enters ordinary time until Shrovetide which is the runup to Lent. Or something. Trying to figure this out is like doing taxes. In any event, the Roman Catholic tradition--which is the relevant one for New Orleans and Mardi Gras--has a gap between the end of Epiphany and the beginning of Lent, so their Mardi Gras is not the concluding day of their Epiphany.

Meanwhile, in New Orleans, Mardi Gras is a 12-day celebration. So it's fair to describe it as "culminating" on the actual day of Mardi Gras, i.e. Fat Tuesday.

I hereby withdraw my objection to Mardi Gras being the correct response, and I acknowledge that Ken and the judges were correct in negging Epiphany. In penance, I will leave the JBoard and not come back for 6.5 weeks.
If you happen to see this today you can look forward to more religion with the J! round CATHOLICISM category in the Ash Wednesday game.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I'm guessing this has already been discussed, but the FJ clue was slightly strange since Mt Everest is not in India. I still got it right, but that fact certainly had me scratching my head a little bit.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:31 pm
Was anybody else floored by APGAR? Why is all this cool stuff kept from us angry white males? Just how mean is it to give newborn infants tests right out of the womb? At least let them have some coffee first.
PSA: it stands for "Appearance, Pulse, Grimace, Activity, and Respiration."
brief paste up for further enrichment:
Spoiler
What Does "Apgar" Mean?

Apgar stands for "Appearance, Pulse, Grimace, Activity, and Respiration."

In the test, five things are used to check a baby's health. Each is scored on a scale of 0 to 2, with 2 being the best score:

Appearance (skin color)
Pulse (heart rate)
Grimace response (reflexes)
Activity (muscle tone)
Respiration (breathing rate and effort)

Doctors, midwives, or nurses add up these five factors for the Apgar score. Scores are between 10 and 0. Ten is the highest score possible, but few babies get it. That's because most babies' hands and feet remain blue until they have warmed up.

Apgar Scoring
Apgar Sign 2 1 0
Appearance
(skin color) Normal color all over (hands and feet are pink) Normal color (but hands and feet are bluish) Bluish-gray or pale all over
Pulse
(heart rate) Normal (above 100 beats per minute) Below 100 beats per minute Absent
(no pulse)
Grimace
("reflex irritability") Pulls away, sneezes, coughs, or cries with stimulation Facial movement only (grimace) with stimulation Absent (no response to stimulation)
Activity
(muscle tone) Active, spontaneous movement Arms and legs flexed with little movement No movement, "floppy" tone
Respiration
(breathing rate and effort) Normal rate and effort, good cry Slow or irregular breathing, weak cry Absent (no breathing)
What Does My Baby's Score Mean?

A baby who scores a 7 or above on the test is considered in good health. A lower score does not mean that your baby is unhealthy. It means that your baby may need some immediate medical care, such as suctioning of the airways or oxygen to help him or her breathe better. Perfectly healthy babies sometimes have a lower-than-usual score, especially in the first few minutes after birth.
Actually, most sources say it was originally named after Dr. Virginia Apgar, who developed the test criteria as "skin color, pulse rate, reflex/irritability, muscle tone, respiration" (not necessarily in that order) - then the components were retroactively renamed to make an acronym matching her name.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:39 pm Actually, most sources say it was originally named after Dr. Virginia Apgar, who developed the test criteria as "skin color, pulse rate, reflex/irritability, muscle tone, respiration" (not necessarily in that order) - then the components were retroactively renamed to make an acronym matching her name.
AKA a backronym.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:35 am Did anybody catch that HOOPS clue in this game, "In 1990 this Chicago Bull banged the Cleveland Cavaliers with a career-high 69 points"?
:lol:
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:31 pm
Coffee is generally reserved for premature newborns who head to the Special Care Nursery or the NICU when they're having problems with apnea and bradycardia.

Well, not coffee. But they do give caffeine to preemies who have apnea of prematurity. But even then, they generally get the coffee after the APGAR test.
Volante

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:02 pm I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I'm guessing this has already been discussed, but the FJ clue was slightly strange since Mt Everest is not in India. I still got it right, but that fact certainly had me scratching my head a little bit.
Like the English would let a little thing like another nation's sovereignty bother them... :lol:

But (if Wiki is accurate on this) they did stay out of Nepal during the Himalayan survey so their measure of Everest was done in India.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Clamp/clump was my only miss in Differs by One Letter. Just couldn't pull either word.

Also blanked on "incisors" for a 4/5 in Baby.

Rebecca in the Bible rings no bells for me, giving me another 4/5.

Just like the "see an elephant fly" clue last week, Literature for $1,600 was just begging for the triple miss. I actually had it but stayed clam for fear of butchering it.

Also clammed on polar bear and haddock, but made up for it by running Natural Construction.

I tried the precall game in Alphabet Rockers, but still wasn't able to pull LL Cool J, got tongue-tied on RUN-D.M.C., and didn't consider ELO since I only ever hear them referred to by their full name.

I would have to quibble ELO being in the category anyway. Wikipedia refers to them by their full name as well, and IMO using them in that category would be like, say, putting Brooks & Dunn in there because people often shorten their name to just B&D.

No guess on FJ! Brain went completely blank and couldn't pull any landmarks in India. It seems like India in general just always slides out of my brain. Had I thought of Everest, I would have immediately discarded it for not fitting "hard to pronounce".
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 pm
But (if Wiki is accurate on this) they did stay out of Nepal during the Himalayan survey so their measure of Everest was done in India.
Except Everest is on the Nepal China border.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:27 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 pm
Except Everest is on the Nepal China border.
Right. But they didn't have to be -in- Nepal/China to measure it. It's a big mountain. These days, pollution usually blocks the view
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-09/ ... n/12136856
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:58 pm No one knew the "Telephone Line" Jeff Lynne group?
I wonder if they were thrown by it because the initialism is not the band's official name? Everything I checked (Wikipedia, YouTube, Spotify, Billboard) refers to the band as "Electric Light Orchestra". To me, using ELO is like using CSNY, NKotB, 5SOS, or B&D.
mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:49 pm NHO tres leches cake.
I got that one. Sachertorte was the NHOI for me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:51 pm To me, using ELO is like using CSNY, NKotB, 5SOS, or B&D.
To you, maybe. To anyone who grew up with their music, no.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:51 pm To me, using ELO is like using CSNY, NKotB, 5SOS, or B&D.
The fact still stands that "ELO" is not their official name.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:47 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:34 pm
The fact still stands that "ELO" is not their official name.
The clue never said it was.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:53 pm The clue never said it was.
So you would have been okay with CSNY or NKotB being in the category?