Wednesday, February 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

AntmanB wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:51 pm Timely for Britney Spears to be mentioned.
And Apollo 14: https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02 ... -the-moon/
Spoiler
24 and 40 yards
DBear wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:31 pm A shillelagh is a musical instrument? :P
Percussion, obviously

Was not aware figure was such a literal descriptor prior to the 90s for figure skating. Closest I managed to get was trying to add/remove a word from 'ice dancing.' I can safely say I have never seen skating of figures.

Edit: and apparently skating of figures wasn't televised anyway because it was boring and took upwards of eight hours (if Wiki is to be believed)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

39R. 2/4 on big clues. I didn't know La Crosse. I didn't know the origin of figure skating but that's fun to learn. I guessed slalom. I thought maybe they got rid of slaloms and just started going straight downhill to save time. Maybe I should brush up on winter sports.

Congrats to Andy for a win. Hopefully he can win a lot more money tomorrow.

I missed with Mary Magdalene instead of Saint Veronica.

It's surprising that Sublime was a triple stumper. Thirty-something seemed pretty difficult.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:30 pm If I had about 50 guesses, I may have gotten this. But probably not. I had no idea that "figure" went away.
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:46 pm I paused after time ran out and thought about figure skating - I knew they don't do compulsories now, but I hadn't noticed that it isn't still called that.
I think these posts indicate a misunderstanding of the crux of FJ. The official name of figure skating is still "figure skating"; it's just that the figures that gave it its name are three decades gone.

This FJ reminds me of the "male pattern baldness" FJ from Brad Rutter's second game. (I have him to thank for getting Lancaster tonight, BTW.) Both dealt with the reason a commonly heard phrase is phrased that way, and both dealt with phrases whose phrasings I had never questioned.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I screwed my wife up on tonight's FJ. She used to compete in figure skating so I started laughing as soon as I saw the clue thinking it would be an instant for her. All that ended up doing is made her think it was a sport I participate in instead. Oops. At least I got it right. :D
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Phil Blew it by missing the reference on Wisconsin city and also the reference on remembrance of things past. I think there might have been one other in that category. Basically just not reading the clue properly.

I could have gotten La Crosse either from being named after an Indian game or being the largest city on the Mississippi.

I took a few seconds to run through winter sports but settled on figure skating. Vanessa leaving $7 on the board instead of 5 earned her an extra Grand.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 wagering

Post by Category 13 »

Newhausen wrote:
John Boy wrote:If Phil bets just enough to beat a doubling bet by Natalie, he beats Andy $7,999 to $1,999. Except in the case of a well-wagered game he still would have lost to Natalie if she would ever realize she has no chance of winning on an all-in bet, so she must bet $800 or less to win on the TS.
I wouldn't say she *must* bet $800 or less. Since her wagering range is so polarized, Phil has a lot more leeway to bet more than the $1 cover (assuming he stays above $1,999 of course).

Plus, since Phil is currently in second place, and betting it all is clearly in-correct, there's a better-than-50/50 chance that he'll do it anyway. I wouldn't fault her for any wager that leaves back at least $2,000.
Bamaman wrote:Phil’s FJ bets in his first two games made today’s very predictable.
I'm wondering if the challengers are still being allowed to witness tapings immediately prior to their debute. That might explain Natalie's 7 dollar leftover, but then if she was that shrewd on wagering, you would think she would be smart enough to stay above $2,000.

I liked Phil but it was fitting that he cheated himself out of a third win and second place money, while thinking he was "playing it safe" with $5 on the table.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:25 pm
This FJ reminds me of the "male pattern baldness" FJ from Brad Rutter's second game. (I have him to thank for getting Lancaster tonight, BTW.) Both dealt with the reason a commonly heard phrase is phrased that way, and both dealt with phrases whose phrasings I had never questioned.

I hated that clue at the time, and it hasn't grown on me. I missed tonight's too. Coincidence? I had heard the information before but the answer still glided past me. Went with curling, trying to make a virtue of my total ignorance about that sport.

Got "Veronica" thanks to a Schvatal question on the old board. 4/5 overall there, missing "obligation" but I guess that's ok for a Kitchen Sink Catholic*.

Novel's Narrator, $800: "She", please. Set an example.

Never heard of Wendy Wasserstein as the original thirty-something, but that is quite a distinction.

So,"shillelagh". I'm afraid this may cost Natalie the grand marshalship in her local St. Patrick's Day parade.

* One who is baptized by one's grandmother, out of the latter's belief that it won't otherwise be done at all.
I'm smart and I want respect.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $40,800
51 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sublime, La Crosse (DD), thirty-something, harp (DD)

That wagering thing, huh? Pretty important, amirite?

This video gives an overview of the "figure" portion of figure skating. It is...whatever is the opposite of riveting.
Woppy T wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:43 pm I wish they had negged “Cracker Jacks,” but I knew they wouldn’t.
I had the same thought. I found it especially funny given a discussion a few of my friends were having earlier today over whether last night's response of
Spoiler
(Los Angeles) Spark
should have been negged.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:29 am
Newhausen wrote:
John Boy wrote:If Phil bets just enough to beat a doubling bet by Natalie, he beats Andy $7,999 to $1,999. Except in the case of a well-wagered game he still would have lost to Natalie if she would ever realize she has no chance of winning on an all-in bet, so she must bet $800 or less to win on the TS.
I wouldn't say she *must* bet $800 or less. Since her wagering range is so polarized, Phil has a lot more leeway to bet more than the $1 cover (assuming he stays above $1,999 of course).

Plus, since Phil is currently in second place, and betting it all is clearly in-correct, there's a better-than-50/50 chance that he'll do it anyway. I wouldn't fault her for any wager that leaves back at least $2,000.
Bamaman wrote:Phil’s FJ bets in his first two games made today’s very predictable.
I'm wondering if the challengers are still being allowed to witness tapings immediately prior to their debute. That might explain Natalie's 7 dollar leftover, but then if she was that shrewd on wagering, you would think she would be smart enough to stay above $2,000.

I liked Phil but it was fitting that he cheated himself out of a third win and second place money, while thinking he was "playing it safe" with $5 on the table.
She had both of the other players’ MSBIW beat so a bet of zero would have been her best option.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I guess I didn't fully grasp the FJ clue...I said Downhill Skiing. I mean, figure skating is figure skating and in the TV listings, it is still described as figure skating. I like to watch figure skating so I was very disappointed to have missed FJ.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:37 pm Was not aware figure was such a literal descriptor prior to the 90s for figure skating. Closest I managed to get was trying to add/remove a word from 'ice dancing.' I can safely say I have never seen skating of figures.

Edit: and apparently skating of figures wasn't televised anyway because it was boring and took upwards of eight hours (if Wiki is to be believed)
I don't think that's right. I distinctly remember them showing snippets of the skaters doing their figures when they were discussing what their current scores were since those points went toward their total. We're not talking long clips, just them skating in those figure 8s and staying as close as possible to the line. It was an exacting process for the skaters, and some were definitely better than others.

With that, I wasn't getting it in a million years. Went with curling to have something.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:49 am
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:37 pm Was not aware figure was such a literal descriptor prior to the 90s for figure skating. Closest I managed to get was trying to add/remove a word from 'ice dancing.' I can safely say I have never seen skating of figures.

I don't think that's right. I distinctly remember them showing snippets of the skaters doing their figures when they were discussing what their current scores were since those points went toward their total. We're not talking long clips, just them skating in those figure 8s and staying as close as possible to the line. It was an exacting process for the skaters, and some were definitely better than others.
I remember that, too, but I imagine Volante was saying figures was not broadcast live as the short and long programs typically are.

I think a lot of old school skaters and judges probably bemoan the loss of figures somewhat. Most of them probably found them tedious to do and judge, but they also emphasized skating fundamentals such as edging and turns.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember seeing brief clips of the figures competition. I think they mostly showed it to acknowledge it happened but never went into great detail about it, just showed the scores.

I remember the get off my lawn crowd bemoaning their end.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:25 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:30 pm If I had about 50 guesses, I may have gotten this. But probably not. I had no idea that "figure" went away.
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:46 pm I paused after time ran out and thought about figure skating - I knew they don't do compulsories now, but I hadn't noticed that it isn't still called that.
I think these posts indicate a misunderstanding of the crux of FJ. The official name of figure skating is still "figure skating"; it's just that the figures that gave it its name are three decades gone.
Yup. No reason for me to think there was a name change, except that sometimes there is :roll: .
The specific skill that gave this sport its name was eliminated from international competition after the 1990 World Championships

I remember the little clips of it and would like to have seen a little more, at least one time. The real events are obnoxious to watch with all the personal stories and narratives. I do admire the athleticism. My pond is frozen 8" thick now and I am going to go try some skids and falls.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:07 am
Newhausen wrote:

She had both of the other players’ MSBIW beat so a bet of zero would have been her best option.
Best, maybe, but not her only option. I wouldn't fault her if she wagered $5,001, for example. Second place doesn't make the correct wager often enough to say that third place *has* to play around it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 am

I remember that, too, but I imagine Volante was saying figures was not broadcast live as the short and long programs typically are.

I think a lot of old school skaters and judges probably bemoan the loss of figures somewhat. Most of them probably found them tedious to do and judge, but they also emphasized skating fundamentals such as edging and turns.
^This
1990s World Champ compulsory figures clip spoilered to collapse
Highlights (lowlights?) existed, but they aren't end to end coverage.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Newhausen wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:46 am
Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:07 am
Newhausen wrote:

Best, maybe, but not her only option. I wouldn't fault her if she wagered $5,001, for example. Second place doesn't make the correct wager often enough to say that third place *has* to play around it.
I think Natalie should have bet zero. Didn't she say she has been watching for a long time and this has been her wish ( to be on J)? I was rooting for her and was so disappointed with the wager. So now she has to live with; What If?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I vaguely recall figure skating in the 1984 Olympics, and I knew that they eliminated the creation of figures at some point between 1984 and 1994, but it just didn't come to me. For about 15 seconds, I blanked out on the subject, so I was asking myself stupid questions like "Is a softball really soft?", "What does soccer mean?", and "Is there such a thing as a rugby?". By the time I focused back on the category, I went through skiing and hockey, completely oblivious to figure skating. I went with curling, but knew damn well those stones curl. HAAAAAAAAAAARD!

How are "spin doctors" in the 80s category? They're very clearly 90s. Are you arguing with me? Just go ahead, now.... (yes, I know what a spin doctor is, and got it.)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Can you imagine if an NBA championship/World Series/Stanley Cup game was decided in part by a pre-game skills competition?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mahatma wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:21 pm

Can you imagine if an NBA championship/World Series/Stanley Cup game was decided in part by a pre-game skills competition?
It is a bit odd. The only other sport that has anything comparable I can think of is the dressage event in equestrian.