Friday, February 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Friday, February 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

floridagator wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:39 pm
reddpen wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:09 pm
floridagator wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:34 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: it's common for Icelanders to check the database before getting into a serious relationship to ensure they aren't too closely related to the other person. :D
Insert ilhan Omar joke here
I realize you're only parroting a rumor--indeed not even doing so yourself but alluding to it to mask your scurrilousness--but that allegation remains unproven and you should quit spreading it.
When ilhan's father died last year, it became undeniable that he was the father of the man that ilhan had married in a sham. There is no longer any doubt that he is her half-brother.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/politics ... index.html
Um... the linked article states only that her father died of COVID and makes no mention of a brother or a husband.

Snopes rates the story about her marrying her brother as "unproven" and states
We found no public records or credible sources contradicting Omar’s account of her past, nor any substantive evidence corroborating claims that Elmi is her brother or that their marriage was otherwise fraudulent. In addition, some of the claims offered in support of the rumor don’t seem to add up.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ilhan ... y-brother/

Seems quite deniable. Also seems it would be fairly straightforward to prove it is true, if it indeed is.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Any further discussion of this should be in the Reretaken Down thread. (Or, better yet, there should be no further discussion of this scurrilous topic.)
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Yeah...I side by TPH on the FJ! Great end-of-week show, though.

8/10 (B+)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:33 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:21 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 pm How many people got Samuel Barber?
*raises hand*
Same. Adagio for Strings is a concert standard, and its use in the soundtrack to the movie Platoon seemed to have put in more in the public eye. We often have our TV tuned to Comcast/Xfinity music channels for background noise, and its in regular rotation. I also hear it in restaurants, sometimes stores, once or twice a year.

However, I did not know about his relationship to Menotti. Maybe we can look for a Jeopardy mashup of "Adagio and the Night Visitors" or something.
I got it too.

I'm not sure about "concert standard". The only time I have heard it live was the Saturday after 9/11. We were not sure we were in the mood for a concert but went anyway. The Adagio was half of an unannounced concert prelude. For the other half, the conductor turned around, stood the audience up, and directed us through a rendition of God Bless America. It was quite cathartic and now unforgetable. I cannot remember what was on the main program.

I learned about the relationship from Barber's Wiki page some time back.
OCSam
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed David Spade, Gods and Monsters, and Brene Brown.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Parochial, High Cry, Pakistan Plan, USS Constellation, Eleven, Bun, Jojo Moyes, Samuel Barber
Douglas Squasoni