Friday, February 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD SURNAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2019, for the first time, this nation allowed for non-gendered last names with the suffix -bur

Alan Johnson: 16600+6000=22600
Sam Stapleton: 22200+11001=33201 (New Champ)
Lauren Menke: 9600+9599=19199

Correct response:
Spoiler
Iceland

Daily Doubles
Sam: 3600+2000
Sam: 10800+4000
Sam: 19200+3000

Coryats
Alan: 16600
Sam: 17000
Lauren: 9600

Combined: 43,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alan: 4600
Sam: 8000
Lauren: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If Ken never hosts again at least his last one was a good game. Through 30 games Ken demonstrated he was a more than capable host and I suspect it will become more apparent as the parade of other guest hosts have their time.

Mike Richards is on tap for the next two weeks.

Lauren's last name Menke immediately made me recall MLBer Denis Menke (died December 2020 age 80) who hit the ball that Joe Rudi made a great catch on in the 1972 World Series. My friends and I loved trying to reenact the catch against any walls we came across when playing baseball.

Sam swept the DDs for +9000 and was nowhere near a lock thanks to Alan playing so well without the benefit of any DDs.

The FJ! clue was a needed quick solve for me to evade the unwanted zippo week. I'm sure Hammer will get this after all of the lessons he's received about such things over the years. :lol:

My only precall was Kim in thinking the clue might go a Korean way.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Picked the right Scandinavian country.

I thought Ken did a fantastic job but I will give the others a chance.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Went with Saudi Arabia for Final. Oops.

Lach Trash - Eleven

Excited to see new Hosts Starting On Monday.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:48 pm

Lauren's last name Menke immediately made me recall MLBer Denis Menke (died December 2020 age 80) who hit the ball that Joe Rudi made a great catch on in the 1972 World Series. My friends and I loved trying to reenact the catch against any walls we came across when playing baseball.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,400
46 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: religious schools, Pakistan plan, Eleven

Sad to see Alan go after one game. He hunted for DDs but wasn't able to find them, and that made all the difference.

I went to Iceland immediately and then spent the next 30 seconds trying to talk myself into switching to Russia. Given how rare triple gets are these days, I wasn't expecting one on this clue.

Jojo Moyes and The Giver of Stars are new to me. I wonder if that title will have enough staying power in the J!/trivia canon to have to consciously differentiate it from Lois Lowry's The Giver.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:14 pm Jojo Moyes and The Giver of Stars are new to me. I wonder if that title will have enough staying power in the J!/trivia canon to have to consciously differentiate it from Lois Lowry's The Giver.
Most of that category was new to me. I think I only got the top 2, which required knowledge of neither the book nor author.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Forgot to pay the satellite bill so I missed out today.

No guess on FJ!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Roads, Dr. Yes
Daily Doubles: :D :oops: (Shanghai) :D
trash: parochial, Pakistan plan,
FJ: Iceland instaget. :mrgreen:
Nothing about KJ's last show?
For those unfamiliar with daikon, enjoy
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:30 pm Nothing about KJ's last show?
That surprised me a little. I figured we'd at least get a "That's all for me, you'll see Mike Richards on Monday."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Found the episode online.

Ran Loads of Roads.

Stayed clam on Dr. Yes for $400. "Mountain" led me to coinflip lion or goat. Never even considered gorilla.

Vladivostok was a total WAG on my part, but I'll take it.

I still don't get how this FJ! was even remotely gettable.

Lach Trash: parochial school
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:48 pm
Sam swept the DDs for +9000 and was nowhere near a lock thanks to Alan playing so well without the benefit of any DDs.
Sam had a lock after the third DD and then the other two contestants ate his lunch in the last two categories. Sam didn't score again.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Good game by Sam. Easiest FJ of the week for me. I was in Iceland for a couple of weeks in July 2019. Fascinating & beautiful country. I’ll be glad to see a new host on Monday. I’ve seen a bit too much of howdy doody since he’s also on The Chase and Masterminds. At least on J he doesn’t ad lib as much.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wonder how well Constellation did... I got it, but that's because I was on it 3.5 years ago. Not surprised at all it was a TS.

Instafinal.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Fast forwarding through the commercials, I started thinking that the category would be about East Asian names and those small East Asian countries that I always overlook. Nope, I got lucky. Knew this one, and got it in just two words when I fast forwarded too far and heard Ken say "nation allowed". I thought, "Is it the Icelandic strict law of son/dottir", and I was right.

I don't know how I learned of the son/dottir suffixes - I think it was maybe when I noted the name of an Icelandic guy on Youtube covering one of my favorite songs, and I noted that his name ended in -son. The Icelandic ð is one of my favorite quirky characters - I know it's called "eth", but at some point I want to learn how to pronounce it in a real worð . I wonder if ðuolingo has Icelandic?

In the "I knew it, but I didn't know the name" category, David Spade became "that guy on SNL who did Hollywood Minute in the 90s who looks like Ellen DeGeneres".

In the "writers must be moonlighting for Master Minds" category: cornrows.

Would "religious schools" at least get a BMS for "parochial"? Perhaps outright acceptance? Parochial has a Christian connotation, and I would Agostini v Felton would apply to public school teachers teaching in a non-Christian religious school, too. I'm not 100% sure that I'd get "parochial" in 5 seconds with a BMS - it's not a "tip of the tongue" word for me.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 2/4 on big clues. Guessed Shanghai instead of Nanking. Guessed Russia. The Nanking clue is interesting, I didn't know that. I usually see it as Nanjing and I think the multiple names or spellings threw me off. Didn't know FJ. I considered Sweden but didn't make any connection.

I missed Pakistan plan and said Afghan plan - I got Kabul and Karachi mixed up. I missed beltway and said K-street.

Straightforward clues that I didn't get: Vladivostok, polyphonic, Blue Ivy, Mykonos, Little Fires Everywhere, causeway. I'll get those next time.

The photos of Mykonos online are really distinctive. It's too far away for me to enjoy a visit but it seems like an interesting place.

How many people got Samuel Barber?

Very competitive game today. Tough to see anybody lose.

Ken's excellent performance as guest host and some of the apprehension I've seen regarding at least one of the other guest hosts reminds me of the plot of Dune when House Harkonnen plans to send Beast Rabban to rule the planet poorly in order to pave the way for Feyd-Rautha to come in later as a savior. Maybe there are better examples. I thought Ken did great and I'm looking forward to seeing others host also.
Volante wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:48 pm Wonder how well Constellation did...
I definitely missed it. Would have guessed The Liberator.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:14 pm I went to Iceland immediately and then spent the next 30 seconds trying to talk myself into switching to Russia.
Exactly the opposite for me. I immediately thought of Russia and then realized this wouldn't exactly jibe with Putin's worldview. Iceland came pretty quickly after dismissing Russia.