Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by nserven »

I knew the book Pioneers (I own a bookstore) but then went and confused Cooper with Jack London. Then said Kipling for Tolstoy—the name did not sound particularly Russian to me.

For FJ I immediately went to the only playwright whose birthplace I knew.

I remember being a teenager looking for summer jobs in the want ads of my local paper and half of them being for Avon sales positions, where I assume you worked on commission.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

nserven wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:31 am I knew the book Pioneers (I own a bookstore) but then went and confused Cooper with Jack London. Then said Kipling for Tolstoy—the name did not sound particularly Russian to me.
Did Mike say the name with a bit of a Russian accent? No nearly as strong as Alex would sometimes do, but I thought I heard something.
Woppy T

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS) by Archivists

Post by Woppy T »

zakharov wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:48 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:41 pm I have a feeling that FJ clue was pretty easy for those of us in the over 50 demo. Avon was a bigger deal 40 years ago. Would younger people even know Avon exists?
I'm 34 and I got it, but probably because I watched Edward Scissorhands and remember "Avon calling!"
Woppy T wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:21 am
Volante wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:04 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:41 pm I have a feeling that FJ clue was pretty easy for those of us in the over 50 demo. Avon was a bigger deal 40 years ago. Would younger people even know Avon exists?
Depends if they're fans of Edward Scissorhands or not
Would younger people even know Edward Scissorhands exists? (It came out over 30 years ago.)
I don't know if I qualify as a younger person anymore but younger people are indeed aware of movies from before they were born.
The other day I made a reference to A Christmas Story (remarking about how bundled up someone was in the snow) and my teenager said to me: "never heard of it."
davey

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS) by Archivists

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:05 pm
I'm 34 and I got it, but probably because I watched Edward Scissorhands and remember "Avon calling!"
Would younger people even know Edward Scissorhands exists? (It came out over 30 years ago.)
I don't know if I qualify as a younger person anymore but younger people are indeed aware of movies from before they were born.
The other day I made a reference to A Christmas Story (remarking about how bundled up someone was in the snow) and my teenager said to me: "never heard of it."
:D Forgive me, but isn't that your fault? Who else was going to introduce it to said teenager? :D
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:18 am
alietr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 am Is Avon MLM?
Consensus on the intarwebs seems to be that it is, but it's one of the gentler ones.
That was a close call by me - I kind of conflated Avon with Tupperware parties as an obligatory friendship waste of money. Avon isn't nearly as egregious as Mary Kay - so probably wasn't as exploitative of people's social and familial networks. If the dealers made enough on commission, they wouldn't want to foster competition in the same ecosystem. Now I can afford to just buy the crap (I'm talking about you Pioneer Woman), but it was an annoyance as a young adult.
I endured an AMWAY presentation once. It was very embarrassing for me and the poor bottled gas salesman who just barely knew my name. It sure wasn't about buying soap. I really felt bad for him because he seemed to have drunk the Kool-Aid. Such a terrible company and business model.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

davey wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:10 pm
:D Forgive me, but isn't that your fault? Who else was going to introduce it to said teenager? :D
great point. But I think she's kind of full of it, because every year when TNT does their 24 hour marathon, we usually catch at least some portions of it. I'll make her watch it all next year.
davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:27 pm
davey wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:10 pm
great point. But I think she's kind of full of it, because every year when TNT does their 24 hour marathon, we usually catch at least some portions of it. I'll make her watch it all next year.
Oh! She's one of those teenagers... ;)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:42 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:35 am Not sure how DD3 was anything more than "pick a late-18th/early-19th century Russian author. Was there more of a hook there that I missed?

Yasnaya Polyana is reasonably famous as Russian writers' estates go.
I didn't remember the name of the estate, but the fact that there was one rang a bell. He was a count, after all. On the whole he seemed a better fit than Mark Twain.
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:23 pm
I endured an AMWAY presentation once. It was very embarrassing for me and the poor bottled gas salesman who just barely knew my name. It sure wasn't about buying soap. I really felt bad for him because he seemed to have drunk the Kool-Aid. Such a terrible company and business model.
I once was lured to a small Amway meeting at a midtown deli. I remember Francisco's pitch about how nice it is to earn residuals. He pointed out that not everyone wields a pen like Robert Ludlum, or can write a song like Paul McCartney, or has a body like Brooke Shields. I was suddenly sorry I hadn't ordered white bread with mayonnaise.

Regarding Manhattan, Kansas, my favorite fact is that Damon Runyon was born there but eventually dispersed over the other one.
I'm smart and I want respect.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Subpoenas and Movies $1200.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Hollywood Ten, Trombonist, Zane Grey, James Fenimore Cooper
Douglas Squasoni
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Great match between the men!

Once Mike alluded to the correct answer, it was simply a “Duh!” moment for me.

8/10 (B+)
It's the end of the journey that counts.