Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
David McConnell’s cosmetics & perfume co. was rebranded in 1939 with this name, honoring the home of his favorite playwright

Aaron Craig: 17400+11827=29227 (2x = $51,254)
Andrew Vaughn: 14500+5000=19500
Ken Shen: 18500-16301=2199

Correct response:
Spoiler
Avon (Ken – Mac)

Daily Doubles
Aaron: 3600+2000
Andrew: 6000+2500
Ken: 7200+3700

Coryats
Aaron: 16000
Andrew: 14000
Ken: 16400

Combined: 46,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Aaron: 9800
Andrew: 2400
Ken: 4800
MarkBarrett

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS) by Archivists

Post by MarkBarrett »

Are there any more J! players in the Shen family? Out in the quarters, out in the semis, 3rd after after leading for the FJ! round leaves the family 0/4 for a win on the show.

Aaron's chat was about getting a foul ball in the 1992 WS Game 4. Aaron said the Blue Jays lost. Toronto won that one.

I wonder if the TS clue for the Margot Robbie actress character in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... was a stumper because the name was unknown or at least one of the three could not recall it in time?

The FJ! category had me try a few precalls with Standard Oil, AT&T, Amazon and a more general thought of something in the area of automobiles.

The FJ! clue had me stumped on the first read. As I too often do my initial approach was wrong as I tried the playwright angle. I spent a few seconds trying to think of a Tennessee company. When I tried the better path or brainstorming cosmetics company the dots quickly connected for the duh moment to know I had it right.

With Ken playing DD3 it is hard to know if he would have bet more if needed, such as if Andrew had wagered a higher amount on DD2. It turned out not to matter as far as Ken as it was Andrew vs. Aaron to decide the match and Aaron did more over the first 60 clues to be in a close second place.

Aaron is enjoying his victories and time on the show as he is more animated than many champs are after the winning total is announced.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS) by Archivists

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 pm Are there any more J! players in the Shen family? Out in the quarters, out in the semis, 3rd after after leading for the FJ! round leaves the family 0/4 for a win on the show.
I haven't seen the show yet--did Ken mention a relation to Gwen and Wen in his interview? We should note the relations on the player pages for Ken and Wen. Gwen appears not to be in the Archive yet? Who is the fourth Shen, Kevin?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 pm Are there any more J! players in the Shen family? Out in the quarters, out in the semis, 3rd after after leading for the FJ! round leaves the family 0/4 for a win on the show.
I haven't seen the show yet--did Ken mention a relation to Gwen and Wen in his interview? We should note the relations on the player pages for Ken and Wen. Gwen appears not to be in the Archive yet? Who is the fourth Shen, Kevin?
Yes, chat time mentioned the sibling connection. Three from the family as semifinalist by wildcard get the tally to 0/4. My thought was to get the game in the archive first and worry about the page connections later. Onto the DJ! round.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This is definitely a fact I learned from an ancient season 2 or 3 game, and I thought it was an FJ back then too, although it's not in the Archive or the resource.

Semi-related, the FJ resource is indexed on Google now. I don't know if that was always the case.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Got a kick out of "Id like to do a different Category". :lol:

Really Competitive Game Today.

Got final within the first few seconds of The music Kicking in. Avon = Stratford Upon Avon = Shakespeare.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wasn’t confident I could come up with a cosmetics company but got it halfway through the first verse.

A good game with three high scores not particularly helped by DD bets.

Mike is growing on me as a host.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Mike felt a bit more animated today. I loved the "do a different category" exchange.

Why do I keep thinking that Alexander Hamilton was a president? I make that mistake every time Burr comes up.

"O ring" was my only NHOI/miss in Plumbing.

0/5 in Soldiering On.

I got only $400 in Horse & Writer and Paintings

Chanel? Nope. L'Oreal? Nope. Ulta? Don't be ridiculous. Merle Norman? Frustrating miss. I knew it was somewhere in the pile, but I could just feel it slipping through my hands every time I tried to grab for it. At the same time, when Avon came up, it just didn't seem to fit squarely into the category. I was just thinking too retail-based, whereas I usually think of Avon products as being sold door to door.

Lach Trash: Sharon Tate
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:30 pm Chanel? Nope. L'Oreal? Nope. Ulta? Don't be ridiculous. Merle Norman? Frustrating miss. I knew it was somewhere in the pile, but I could just feel it slipping through my hands every time I tried to grab for it. At the same time, when Avon came up, it just didn't seem to fit squarely into the category. I was just thinking too retail-based, whereas I usually think of Avon products as being sold door to door.
Sometimes the obvious isn't. I couldn't come up with anything either.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Midwest Cities, Buy Me, Soldiering On,
Daily Doubles: :D :| (nothing in time) :oops: (Rasputin)
trash: Zane Grey. Most of what they didn't get, I didn't get either.
FJ: Avon, took about 5 seconds. :mrgreen:
Had Hollywood Nine
remembered the bottom clue in Don't Drop the Ball in this game reference to boroughs
Last edited by DBear on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Good high scoring game with an unfortunate end for Ken.
He was unable to pull one out of his ass when he needed it most.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I don't typically remember past champions but Andrew reminded me of Bruce Simmons, who was a champion I believe when they still had a five-game limit and made a horrific blunder in the finals of the Tournament of Champions.

An easy final always favors the contestant who is in the lead. I couldn't believe how easy that final was. I don't know why Ken couldn't pull it or why it took Aaron until the last second. I can't even think of a Cosmetics company called Mac or a playwright who is from there.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 pm Aaron's chat was about getting a foul ball in the 1992 WS Game 4. Aaron said the Blue Jays lost. Toronto won that one.

Then I have to believe he got the game number wrong.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

For FJ, I guessed L'oreal...and just broke out into a big grin when Avon was revealed. Seemed so easy in hindsight!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Has anyone else noticed that Mike does the interviews without holding the cards? I am impressed by that ... he has to remember last names, home towns, and what the story is.

Not an instaget, but it fell into place pretty quickly.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:11 pm An easy final always favors the contestant who is in the lead. I couldn't believe how easy that final was. I don't know why Ken couldn't pull it or why it took Aaron until the last second. I can't even think of a Cosmetics company called Mac or a playwright who is from there.
MAC Cosmetics is big but much more recent than Avon

It took me a good 25 seconds to figure out Avon
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

36R. 1/4 on big clues. I got Goya but missed the others. Guessed Maybelline because I didn't know it. I wonder if I would have gotten it if it had said "birthplace" instead of "home." I didn't even think of Shakespeare.

All the contestants played great. It was a really competitive game. They barely let anything go all game. Andrew missed a few clues in the beginning, Ken missed FJ. Just a difference of a few clues and anybody could have had it. Aaron didn't miss anything.

Plenty of new stuff to learn.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:30 pm Why do I keep thinking that Alexander Hamilton was a president? I make that mistake every time Burr comes up.
President or not, Hamilton was a few years dead by the time Burr (who killed him) was on trial (not for killing him).