Friday, February 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 pm

I, too, chuckled at the other coincidences: quorum in the Senate being on Master Minds (seriously, do the writers moonlight?), and Mr. Potato Head's appearance in toys.
For the benefit of fellow boardies (and me not just being lazy), what is the deal about Mr. Potato Head recently? In the news?

I just assumed 51 was a quorum in a body of 100 members, but would not have been surprised if it was 34 or 40 since it is agreed upon by the rules or bylaws if they call them that.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:56 pm I'll cycle back to Mark's baseball thread. They were all Boomer friendly except the Jeter one. I could have known it if I wanted to but Yankee related information is rejected at the second filter after the Kardashian firewall.
There just aren't any current nicknames with wide play... Srsly, look at this load of "Who's that?" and "Wait, what?"
https://www.mlb.com/news/best-nicknames-in-baseball
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:04 pm For the benefit of fellow boardies (and me not just being lazy), what is the deal about Mr. Potato Head recently? In the news?
https://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=350093#p350093
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Okay, but is there a Rum Barrel Fiasco? Cuz I want to know about it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another shout-out for a savvy FJ wager from the champ. This was a hard-fought round. It looked as if Sayed had trouble ringing in against the other two but that baseball run got him back into the game. I was surprised that something as basic as the XYZ Affair was a TS.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Woof wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:38 pm Another shout-out for a savvy FJ wager from the champ. This was a hard-fought round. It looked as if Sayed had trouble ringing in against the other two but that baseball run got him back into the game. I was surprised that something as basic as the XYZ Affair was a TS.
I agree.

The Senate quorum question was on Masterminds earlier this week.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

bomtr wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:22 pm Okay, but is there a Rum Barrel Fiasco? Cuz I want to know about it.
Perpetrated by Elizabeth Swann against Capt. Jack Sparrow.
In and out of the pool four times
Leander

Post by Leander »

Woof wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:38 pm Another shout-out for a savvy FJ wager from the champ. This was a hard-fought round. It looked as if Sayed had trouble ringing in against the other two but that baseball run got him back into the game. I was surprised that something as basic as the XYZ Affair was a TS.
I think 2 of the 3 contestants did not go to school in the US (I know Ollie didn’t) and if you don’t run across the XYZ Affair in high school history, you’re not likely to learn about it later, which increases the odds of having a TS.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:51 pm
I agree with davey. Any reasonable response including XYZ should be fine.
How about XYZgate?

I look at the G7 or G8 nations and I wonder what WWII was for.

MAD magazine's occasional "gray papers" and "green papers" taught me about white papers.

They did well to keep the baseball category accessible by asking about Williams and Johnson. They might have kept it up somehow like this:

This "Wizard of Oz" preferred gold gloves to ruby slippers.

Larry's 468 lifetime home runs may be what made him so "Chipper".

Projected over a full set of digits, "Three Finger" might have won 399 games.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Had XYZ almost immediately and was surprised it was a TS. A savvy wager by Michael makes him one of the luckier two-day champs, who has happened to win both games in strikingly similar fashion.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
goongas

Post by goongas »

Put this media item in this thread because it has spoilers. Story on the current champion.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 841186002/
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:56 pm I'll cycle back to Mark's baseball thread. They were all Boomer friendly except the Jeter one. I could have known it if I wanted to but Yankee related information is rejected at the second filter after the Kardashian firewall.
To be fair, baseball nicknames were much cooler back in the day. I think that's because sportswriters had more of an influence (and colorful flair) back then. Now they're all lazy abbreviated forms like A-Rod, with the exception of the occasional name like "The Mayor of Ding-Dong City" (Travis Shaw), which is a cool name but doesn't stray much outside the local fanbase.

My first thought was Dreyfus Affair, knew that came much later, but it was enough to make me think of the other France "Affair."
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

goongas wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:35 am Put this media item in this thread because it has spoilers. Story on the current champion.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 841186002/
That's cool. I recognized 2 of the actors in the zoom screenshot they show. Wonder if anybody knows all of them. I haven't heard of the show Modern Economics but it looks like ABC is going to start promoting it for an April premier.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

reddpen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:28 am
bomtr wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:22 pm Okay, but is there a Rum Barrel Fiasco? Cuz I want to know about it.
Perpetrated by Elizabeth Swann against Capt. Jack Sparrow.
Ah, okay thanks. Maybe I don't after all.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:22 am

This "Wizard of Oz" preferred gold gloves to ruby slippers.

Spoiler
Now there is a player I actually got to see in person, growing up in Cardinal nation. 8-)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Was guest host Mike's description of the XYZ affair accurate? Were the French trying to bribe the Americans (as Mike claimed) or were they demanding bribes from the Americans?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:00 pm Was guest host Mike's description of the XYZ affair accurate? Were the French trying to bribe the Americans (as Mike claimed) or were they demanding bribes from the Americans?
I've always understood it to be the latter. Talleyrand, the French diplomat, wanted a bribe before any negotiations would start.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:17 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:00 pm Was guest host Mike's description of the XYZ affair accurate? Were the French trying to bribe the Americans (as Mike claimed) or were they demanding bribes from the Americans?
I've always understood it to be the latter. Talleyrand, the French diplomat, wanted a bribe before any negotiations would start.
Same here.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:39 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:17 pm
Same here.
If only there were some way we could look it up...
https://www.monticello.org/site/researc ... xyz-affair
Yeah, he got it wrong.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:42 pm If only there were some way we could look it up...
Yeah, I was trying to be politely rhetorical as a way of pointing out, "Why has no one called out Mike Richards's error yet"