Thursday, March 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

What new hardware made it's significant debut in the Korean War? After yesterday's questionable syntax, I was a little hesitant to assume it was new technology, especially I never new the name Sioux as one of the aircraft. I also thought the clue implied all the varieties would have Native American tribal names and Huey isn't a very fierce sounding tribe :lol:. It was a nice clue, and written well enough but in retrospect, isn't about everything in the military named as a class or a type? Warthogs, Strike Eagles, Arleigh Burkes, Ma Deuce, etc..?

It was a fun game. I never heard of a Cairn Terrier and thought Toto was a Scottie dog. I went with Karl Dachsund - were we supposed to assume a night watchman would create a killing machine? I think the tenth time Mike signs off with the saccharine Kumbaya quote will be nine times too many. I'm fine with "Thank you, Alex".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:23 pm It was a fun game. I never heard of a Cairn Terrier and thought Toto was a Scottie dog. I went with Karl Dachsund - were we supposed to assume a night watchman would create a killing machine?
If you think a dachshund isn't a killing machine, you haven't seen it go after rats, rabbits, or any other various small burrowing mammals...

There's a reason it's shaped like a pipe cleaner.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:40 pm
Precalled King of the Hill in King of TV. I've received many a "dammit, Bobby" in my day.
And how many declarations, "that boy ain't right"?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It sounded like Chauncey worked for NHBB (IAC nowadays), but he works for World Scholar's Cup. I've never heard of that one.

It seem like (don't hold me to this, Sg) that everyone who's been on Jeopardy and said their occupation had something to do with trivia or quizzing has lost.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Spent some time wondering if a helicopter is equipment, then went for the right response. What an up and down game that was! 14 wrongs combined.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:23 pmI never heard of a Cairn Terrier and thought Toto was a Scottie dog. I went with Karl Dachsund
Same here. English setter was also unfamiliar to me, but gettable by working backward from Irish setter.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:31 am It sounded like Chauncey worked for NHBB (IAC nowadays), but he works for World Scholar's Cup. I've never heard of that one.

It seem like (don't hold me to this, Sg) that everyone who's been on Jeopardy and said their occupation had something to do with trivia or quizzing has lost.
:) Only in the sense that everyone who has been on Jeopardy with an occupation has lost (except, arguably, Ben Henri so far)! https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7274
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Managed to dope out FJ - something I don't always do well. The military in general likes to name things. So I figured this was something that was first used in Korea. If it had been used earlier, it would have been named earlier. That rules out artillery and tanks and wheeled vehicles of various types. Being the Army - rather than Navy, Air Force, or Marines - rules out a bunch of other stuff. No boats. No subs. No airplanes (let's not talk about the Army Air Corps, ok?? :oops: ) So what's something that the Army DOES use that they didn't have before Korea? How about those whirly-gig things? They weren't used in WWII, and I know they were in Korea (thank you M*A*S*H!!)

Still, I never made the connection to Apache and Blackhawk until they were mentioned on air. [insert forehead slap emoji here]
--Peter
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Just the usual J! fare here.

6/10 (C+)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Richard Dreyfuss and Thunder Road(More familiar with his 80s songs.).)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Spring Training, Cabin 13, (The Crown), Downton Abbey, Cairn, English Setter, Alaska, Delaware River, *On the Road Again*, Postbellum, (Libido), Isaiah
Douglas Squasoni