Friday, March 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:45 pm

The curse of knowledge may have gotten drama teacher Ann on DD1, as she went with the relatively obscure Hot Mikado. Then again, she's also an English teacher and couldn't nail down Jonathan Livingston Seagull despite being spotted two-thirds of the title, so who knows.
I wouldn't call it "knowledge" to connect any Mikado with "Puccini-based." I'd defend her as an English teacher though...Jonathan Livingston Seagull had a vogue 50 years ago, but I don't think it's a significant work of literature...
Odd that J! named a replacement Dewey for the Broadway School of Rock. The role was originated by Alex Brightman...

For FJ, I figured the song referred to right away...but I'm not good with rock bands, so I thought the group was Aerosmith... :roll:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:47 pm So if we're talking about who's an authority on how SCO'M is capitalized, I -do- think GNR counts as one.
But the inventor who says how 'gif' is pronounced isn't an authority on its pronunciation? :P
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

StevenH wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:13 pm My first thought on FJ was Bon Jovi, but I made the switch to the correct band.

Felt "optimistic anthem" was too much of a giveaway.

Could have been worded:

Their 1988 Greatest Hits album was the first by an American act to log 600 total weeks on the BillBoard Album charts.

Don't know how much more difficult it would have been.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:17 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:47 pm So if we're talking about who's an authority on how SCO'M is capitalized, I -do- think GNR counts as one.
But the inventor who says how 'gif' is pronounced isn't an authority on its pronunciation? :P
Not anymore. As a simple word, 'gif' is at the mercy of every English speaker on the planet.

A title for a work of art, a better analogy for SCO'M would be the poems of E E Cummings
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:58 pm Laura took names and kicked frog queen and defending champion butt. I was impressed by some of her gets, Theresa May and the Philippines come to mind.
When spotted Luzon, it’s got to be the Philippines. And don’t be impressed by Theresa May when spotted second female British PM :P

I’m terrible at music but Journey came to me immediately

I got completely frazzled by the Broadway DD. Got sidetracked by the non-musical M. Butterfly and most likely would have run out of time before getting to Miss Saigon
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Well, that wraps up Mike’s fine 2wk stint as host. Here’s hoping Katie Couric does a great job!

7/10 (B)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Rackme32 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:41 am Anyway, Michael Richards was solid in his guest run and he'd be fine to take the job on a permanent basis, but I prefer Ken thus far.
Put me down as definitely wanting to see Kramer as host.
(apologies if this joke has been made before)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

this conversation about American rock bands reminds me of one we had several years ago on this site, regarding that game that is the opposite of TD (the name escapes me). The question was "name an American rock band" and we were all over the place, because the biggest American rock artists tend to be solo acts (Elvis, MJ, Bruce), as opposed to England, who has all the huge bands (Beatles, Stones, Who, Led Zep, etc.)
AthenaTV

Post by AthenaTV »

I guess I was alone in guessing Van Halen?

I was thinking there would have been some event in 2020 to cause the album to spike in sales -- such as Eddie Van Halen's death.

"Jump" sounds pretty optimistic.... if you don't know about the supposed backstory behind the lyrics.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AthenaTV wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:53 am I guess I was alone in guessing Van Halen?

I was thinking there would have been some event in 2020 to cause the album to spike in sales -- such as Eddie Van Halen's death.
At first I liked this logic, but then I remembered the clue wasn't merely about sales, but longevity—a singular event doesn't cause an album to reach a milestone of 600 weeks on the charts.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Got all clues revealed. Would not have gotten "The Nice Guys".)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Miss Saigon), Shell, Unicorn Fish, Plankton, Baltic Sea, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Our Mutual Friend, Archaeopteryx, Jesse James
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:50 pm 58 R (Got all clues revealed. Would not have gotten "The Nice Guys".)
Damn good film.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)