Friday, March 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN ROCK BANDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2020 their Greatest Hits, with an optimistic '80s anthem, became only the third album to spend 600 weeks on the Billboard 200

Jim Cooper: 9200+1213=10413
Laura Portwood-Stacer: 21400-2000=19400 (New Champ)
Ann Mazzaferro: 6600-2400=4200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Journey (Laura – Twisted Siste) (Ann – Aerosmith)

Daily Doubles
Ann: 1400-1400
Laura: 10800+2000
Laura: 18400+3000

Coryats
Jim: 9200
Laura: 19200
Ann: 8000

Combined: 36,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jim: 2000
Laura: 6400
Ann: 1800
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This one hinges on how many "optimistic 80s anthems" you can bring to mind in 30 seconds. I got there pretty quick, but under the lights it could be a-whole-nother story.

The other two albums are:
The Easier One
Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon
and
The Harder One
Legend: The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers
(Maybe they mentioned that on the show, but I usually play from the recap here.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Christopher Plummer died on Feb. 5th so either this game was taped fairly recently or Mike host some post work to do to get in the opening & closing comments surrounding the guest reader's clue.

The game leaves me with torn feelings. On one side I'm glad stumblebum Jim is gone as I've had enough of his incorrect responses such as the wrong name for the Seagull or not being in 2021 when naming cities (and wrong anyway). On the other hand I hate that Jim did not get a chance to play the $2000 clue in RYAN GOSLING MOVIE ROLES since it's possible he could have broken the lock.

Could Laura have solved the FJ! clue to make the "What If" game not matter? No, of course not. And naturally Jim did get a sole solve for the music act to make that convenient/inconvenient time's up signal more important.

Overall, Jim shot himself so many times in the foot that it's hard to take anything away from Laura's well-earned victory. Laura may find the draw on Monday a little more difficult with a fresh pool of players than the nice spot she found herself today.

The FJ! category had me precall CCR & The Doors.

When I saw the clue, I again, needed more than one reading to grasp what it was saying. Once I understood I was hit with a circuit-frying distractor of Queen. They're British & "We Will Rock You" is not 1980s quickly eliminates them. Yet, there are many reasons for their Greatest Hits album to have stuck around in popularity due to "Bohemian Rhapsody". "Another One Bites The Dust" is 1980. THEY'RE BRITISH! Stop it, brain!

Trying to get recalibrated I was rattled and did no better than Survivor. Fail.

The correct response? Of course it was. I should have quickly had it in the mix off the category and then it would have been an easy lock in when seeing the clue. As much as the category is wide open the writers are not going to have a tremendous amount of imagination there.

At least I was not on any kind of streak in a row going.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm only three clues into archiving the game and I've just been reminded of one more for the humorous Jim complaint department: Who is Cher? :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Mike Richards run is complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6961

Up next on Monday the 8th: Katie Couric
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

"I'm an Apteryx, a wingless bird with hairy feathers."

Not a valid answer for IT'LL ALL END IN "X" for $2000, though, unfortunately for me.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

My best Guess for Final was Queen. was thinking We are the Champions.

Katie Couric on Monday..............
Leander

Post by Leander »

Funnily enough, I guessed this group’s anthem for the Prince 1999 FJ. So I went with it again.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:40 pm This one hinges on how many "optimistic 80s anthems" you can bring to mind in 30 seconds. I got there pretty quick, but under the lights it could be a-whole-nother story.
Decidedly not my category. I was happy to finally come up with Bon Jovi, who ticked the two big elimination boxes (American and 1980s) and had an "optimistic anthem" ("times are hard, but we'll get through" is optimistic, yeah?).
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Not a ton of sympathy for six wrongs vs. zero wrongs, but Jim probably wonders what happens if they get to the last Ryan Gosling clue and forestall a runaway. He was on a roll in a category he clearly liked and wound up as the sole solver in FJ. Bad break. I pre-called Half Nelson for the clue we'll never see.

Got to a correct in FJ but dallied for a moment on the Dead's Touch of Grey. Wouldn't call it an anthem but it was their biggest hit and is very optimistic.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My first thought on FJ was Bon Jovi, but I made the switch to the correct band.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:40 pm This one hinges on how many "optimistic 80s anthems" you can bring to mind in 30 seconds. I got there pretty quick, but under the lights it could be a-whole-nother story.

The other two albums are:
The Easier One
Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon
and
The Harder One
Legend: The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers
(Maybe they mentioned that on the show, but I usually play from the recap here.)
I knew the easier one (957 weeks), but neither the harder one (609 weeks) nor tonight's. I wagged Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I knew this one.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $41,400
49 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Miss Saigon (DD), Baltic Sea, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Our Mutual Friend, Jesse James

Fun fact: "Don't Stop Believin'" is the best-selling digital single of the pre-digital era. It is far more popular today than it was upon release 40 years ago. Last week, it became the second pre-digital song--Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" was the first--to have been streamed one billion times on Spotify.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:50 pm The game leaves me with torn feelings. On one side I'm glad stumblebum Jim is gone as I've had enough of his incorrect responses such as the wrong name for the Seagull or not being in 2021 when naming cities (and wrong anyway). On the other hand I hate that Jim did not get a chance to play the $2000 clue in RYAN GOSLING MOVIE ROLES since it's possible he could have broken the lock.
This bugged me a lot. It has never appeared that J! has a set amount of time for each round, and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to edit such that there's time for one more clue, particularly when it was the difference between a potentially competitive FJ! and one that was merely academic.

The curse of knowledge may have gotten drama teacher Ann on DD1, as she went with the relatively obscure Hot Mikado. Then again, she's also an English teacher and couldn't nail down Jonathan Livingston Seagull despite being spotted two-thirds of the title, so who knows.

The Shell/She'll thing was cute but severely undervalued at $400. Same with unicorn fish.
Sprinkles are for winners.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Text Abbrevs, Army Surplus, Ends in X,
Daily Doubles: :( (Mikado), :D , :? (tulips)
trash: unicorn fish, Baltic, Archaeopteryx, Jesse James,
FJ: Journey :mrgreen: after 5 seconds
Had precall of Latinx for the Ends in X category.
kudos to the contestants for leaving Ryan Gosling movies for last. :twisted:
Wheel is pre-empted in Denver for a one-year COVID anniversary special. :roll:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Don't Stop Believin'" is one of the worst songs of the 80s and needs to go the hell away already. I don't feel bad for missing this one.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:44 pm I knew this one.
Color me shocked.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'm a huge 80s fan, and, sorry TPH, kinda like the song, even if "born and raised in South Detroit" means they're actually Canadian. But the clue just went over my head. I focused too much on the 2020 aspect, thinking there was something special about the album that would particularly resonate in this year. "Cat Scratch Fever"? Nope, wrong decade, WAY too obscure. I settled on Hall and Oates, thinking "You Make My Dreams Come True" might have been the anthem. I'm fairly sure they have the most Billboard #1 singles on the "main chart" (too lazy to look up the right name - Hot 100?) during the 1980s, and they still get some airplay today. No, of course it was Journey...or as the kids today call it, "That song from 'Glee'".

If they'd gone with an optimistic 1980s power anthem that had a resurgence in the 2009-2015 era, then, yeah, I'd get it. I found the clue vague, but I'm not a "read all the lists and know all the records/accolades" kind of person.

I've seen Miss Saigon live at least 3 times (granted, over a period of 30ish years - but the last was just two years ago!), and NHO the song title they picked. I'm playing it on YouTube now, and it doesn't ring a bell at all. Throw me "Movie in my Mind", "The Last Night of the World", or "The Heat is on in (this city)", and I'm there. You know what the kicker is? I guessed (but clammed) Madame Butterfly. If I'd only taken the logical step...

Two topics that are J! nightmares for me: Western outlaws and mystery novels where it's not Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie. The "bad men" category got me on the first one. Doc Holiday, Billy the Kid, Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger, Jessie James - they may as well all be one, amorphous person to me. The only thing I kinda know is that Doc Holiday was a dentist.

Decent job by Mike Richards. I wouldn't be up at arms if he were to sub in again at some point, but I think the job is Ken's so far.