FJs for the 3/1/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/1/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:49 pm

In "Histoire des Navigations aux Terres Australes" Charles de Brosses coined this term for the many islands of the region
68%
The 2 to address 3 joint sessions are Churchill & this leader, his non-European country's longest-serving PM, in 1996, 2011 & 2015
33%
Of the principal architects working on it from the mid-1500s to the 1980s, like Pierre Lescot & Hector Lefuel, none were foreigners
13%
The U.S. Army's tradition of naming these began with the Sioux, used in the Korean War
67%
In 2020 their Greatest Hits, with an optimistic '80s anthem, became only the third album to spend 600 weeks on the Billboard 200  
41%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
4%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
5%
COLONY COLLAPSE DISORDER $2000: After Mormons were driven out in the 1840s, French colonists called the Icarians failed to make this Illinois city work
44%
ALPHABET DOGS $600: C: Toto was one of these Scottish terriers bred to chase vermin in rock piles
48%
BAD MEN & ROBBIN' $800 box Daily Double: In 2005 4 thieves at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport made off with $118 million worth of these, bound for antwerp
58%
Oceania was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
15%
Shinzo Abe was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
16%
Justin Trudeau was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
6%
Notre Dame was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
58%
I have been inside the Louvre.
28%
Missile was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
12%
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
6%
The Friday FJ! clue had me struggling to dismiss British bands even though the category specified "American".
13%
No matter the medium, I have some version of a collection of Journey greatest hits.
18%
I have seen Journey perform (no matter the lead singer) in person.
5%
I listened to "Don't Stop Believin'" in 1981 or 1982.
40%

Total votes: 85

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 3/1/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHIC REGIONS

3/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In "Histoire des Navigations aux Terres Australes" Charles de Brosses coined this term for the many islands of the region

3/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS ADDRESS CONGRESS

3/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2 to address 3 joint sessions are Churchill & this leader, his non-European country's longest-serving PM, in 1996, 2011 & 2015

3/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN LANDMARKS

3/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the principal architects working on it from the mid-1500s to the 1980s, like Pierre Lescot & Hector Lefuel, none were foreigners

3/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. MILITARY EQUIPMENT

3/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The U.S. Army's tradition of naming these began with the Sioux, used in the Korean War

3/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN ROCK BANDS

3/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2020 their Greatest Hits, with an optimistic '80s anthem, became only the third album to spend 600 weeks on the Billboard 200

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Polynesia
Benjamin Netanyahu
the Louvre
helicopters
Journey
The players were 5/15 (33.33%) with a 1-1-0-2-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have two triple stumpers followed by a correct DD.

COLONY COLLAPSE DISORDER $2000: After Mormons were driven out in the 1840s, French colonists called the Icarians failed to make this Illinois city work

ALPHABET DOGS $600: C: Toto was one of these Scottish terriers bred to chase vermin in rock piles

BAD MEN & ROBBIN' $800 box Daily Double: In 2005 4 thieves at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport made off with $118 million worth of these, bound for antwerp

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Nauvoo
Cairn Terrier
diamonds

Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 3/1/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

M. Begin
Notre Dame Lou Notre Dame
Queen

Needed Rihanna to present the Antwerp/diamonds DD to get it.
Journey greatest hits on cassette – never them live
“Don’t Stop Believin’” in 1981 or 1982, whenever Casey Kasem introduced it
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wed - Notre Dame
Fri - Queen
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

John Howard on Tues
Springsteen on Fri
Mike's pronunciation of Schiphol wasn't great, but it's about as close as most Americans will get (kinda like Gouda).
Have been to the Louvre.
I have Journey's Time3 box set and definitely heard DSB in 81 or 82.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No clue on the Antwerp clue. I've been to the Louvre twice, and my current Facebook cover picture is of the early stonework in the basement (or whatever the undergound bit would be called), where each brick has the mason's signature, which is a little heart. 1982 was the last year (so far) during which I wasn't alive, so no on that one.

edit: actually, I could have let the stonework thing throw me off the Louvre, because we were told it was from medieval times, and the 1500s are too late for that. The Louvre (the place named that, rather than the current building itself) has a history going back centuries still before that, but I guess they were probably limiting themselves to a continuous record of Louvre architects with the records getting spotty in the building's earliest centuries.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Notre Dame on Tuesday

Have Journey's Greatest Hits on cassette.

Checked yes for listened to it in 1981/82 because it was almost certainly on the radio when I was in the car, but I was a toddler and have no actual recollection of it.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

Well, that's a first.

Had Oceania at first, thought of Micronesia and Indonesia, but couldn't get to Polynesia, so I stuck with Oceania. Completely misinterpreted the Thursday clue, and on Friday the only optimistic title I could think of was Living on a Prayer and said Bon Jovi.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
----:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(----

Oceania, Notre Dame, and Huey Lewis and the News on Friday.

Could only think of "textiles" to go with Antwerp. Stuck in the wrong period, I guess.

I'm the right age for it, but I really only remember "Don't Stop Believing" from later years.

0/5 on Ryan Gosling films.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

No guess on the misses, as usual.

I did offer a joke guess of "stroopwafel" on the Bad Men and Robbin' DD, though.

I would love to retroactively delete "Don't Stop Believin'" off the face of the earth. It's one of the most basic-bitch songs imaginable in both lyrics and composition, and the rhymes are either juvenile or just rhyming a word with itself.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(

Mandela (low-confidence), no guess, Bon Jovi

I've been to the Louvre, but I thought the clue wanted something that was under construction and finally finished in the 80s. I considered the Chunnel but threw it out because it made no sense.

I had trouble coming up with names at all Friday; I did think in passing I'd consider Queen or The Beatles, but they're British (and The Beatles had long since broken up by the 80s).

As for Journey, I don't think I've ever deliberately listened to anything by them, a quick look says I don't have anything favorited on Spotify, and have never seen them in concert. My parents may have listened to "Don't Stop Believin'" in 81/82, and I may have even been around when they did, but I was a baby at the time so I didn't count it.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Mon: close, but very far away with Micronesia. (Read the clue. Many. Poly. It's right there! :oops: )
Tues: Can't even recall my incredibly bad guess
Wed: Hangin' with the wrong crowd at Notre Dame
Thurs: Finally. Worked one out.
Fri: Wild guess of those guys who wear face paint and costumes. Gene Simmons is their bassist. Whoever they are.

While I have no specific recollection, I'm sure I heard the song in question hanging around the college dorm.

My one right out of the extras was my guess on the airport. It's got to be something smallish and highly valuable by weight. You sure aren't going to walk out of an airport with $118 million of gold coins.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:09 pm I would love to retroactively delete "Don't Stop Believin'" off the face of the earth. It's one of the most basic-bitch songs imaginable in both lyrics and composition, and the rhymes are either juvenile or just rhyming a word with itself.
Surely you have to admire the parallelism of the addition of an alveolar plosive involved in rhyming "girl" with "world" and "boy" with "Detroit"!
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No guess Tuesday
Thought Toto was a different type of terrier, but spotting me the C and Scotland made it easy

Spent half a day at the Louvre once

I must have heard the Journey song on the radio in the early 80’s, but mostly remember it from the Sopranos finale.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: China & Notre Dame were my misses.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :? guessed tulips.
Grew up 45 miles downriver from Nauvoo, no way I'm missing that.
If you were in high school in 1981 as I was, there was no way you could not listen to 'Don't Stop Believin'"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:32 pm Surely you have to admire the parallelism of the addition of an alveolar plosive involved in rhyming "girl" with "world" and "boy" with "Detroit"!
Girl/world is the most overused rhyme either. And I don't know why, since it isn't even a perfect rhyme. Other common rhymes like be/me or minute/in it are inoffensive since they're at least perfect rhymes, and mundane enough not to throw me out of a song. But every time I hear a girl/world rhyme, it just sounds force. Same with self/shelf.

Also, using the same word again instead of coming up with a rhyme is even lazier than thinking that "girl" and "world" rhyme.

Also also, there's no such thing as "South Detroit". It's called "Downriver". Or if you go super literal, it's called "Windsor, Ontario".
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

:mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen:

Worst week ever! I blame pollen season. I have seen Journey perform because they opened for a much better band. Steve Perry looks like an asshole. I did like Oh Sherry though.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:32 pm Surely you have to admire the parallelism of the addition of an alveolar plosive involved in rhyming "girl" with "world" and "boy" with "Detroit"!
Girl/world is the most overused rhyme either. And I don't know why, since it isn't even a perfect rhyme. Other common rhymes like be/me or minute/in it are inoffensive since they're at least perfect rhymes, and mundane enough not to throw me out of a song. But every time I hear a girl/world rhyme, it just sounds force. Same with self/shelf.

Also, using the same word again instead of coming up with a rhyme is even lazier than thinking that "girl" and "world" rhyme.

Also also, there's no such thing as "South Detroit". It's called "Downriver". Or if you go super literal, it's called "Windsor, Ontario".
I was kidding anyway. I just noticed that both boy and girl were rhymed with things that had an extra sound tacked on the end and kinda liked it. But I agree about girl/world overuse, as well as self/shelf (but I reserve my ire for metaphorical shelves, so "Wig in a Box" is still okay by me). Life/strife is another.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

For me, the 2 French-based clues were the easiest of the week... :?
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: