Monday, March 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, March 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

A fine debut by Couric. Fine as in adequate. But we don’t tune in for adequate.

Pet peeve - all these guest hosts saying “dollars” when reading the scores. Alex didn’t say it and it sounds jarring now. I can’t unhear it!

I hope she improves over the next 2 weeks. I do want them all to succeed, but those are some tough shoes to fill

Trash trash trash!!!

Brainiacs was cringey, unless that was a nod to Ken Jennings ?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $46,600
53 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: baseball, Persians, pancake makeup, Le Havre (DD), Joseph Haydn (DD), Clara Schumann

FJ! was an interesting factoid but a ridiculously easy clue. "Radio broadcast that caused a panic" is hard to miss.

Le Havre is one of those things I don't know that I've ever heard outside of J!

Katie Couric was very smooth, as one would expect from a true TV pro, but I didn't detect much of the natural enthusiasm that radiated from Alex and Ken (maybe it was curved?). Still a huge improvement over Mike.
talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:41 pm In "alternate responses that, dammit, I'm giving myself credit for", I'm going with the HBO comedy "Silicon Valley" for the clue of "Piper, prison". The company that is the center of Silicon Valley is Pied Piper, and the finale has a character winding up in prison. Okay, it's not the BEST response, but the clue wasn't the best.
I agree. Nothing in the clue pins it away from Silicon Valley, so I think they'd have to give it to you upon review.
Sprinkles are for winners.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

My wife and I though Katie did a very credible job. Though Mike Richards improved, during his first week we left each show feeling he had been yelling at us for half an hour. Katie's voice was almost too smooth. But as someone else said, emptying both boards is always welcome. Too soon to conclude, but as of her first appearance our preferences in order are Ken, Katie, and Mike.

Justin was the only one who seemed to react to the juxtaposition of "Port 'L'" and "The Cake is a Lie." Had to wonder if he was hoping for an opportunity to work Steam, Chel, Aperture, or GlaDOS into the conversation.

Laura did benefit greatly from Matt's two missed DDs (both of which were disappointing), but $42K in two days makes her a pretty legit champion. She also benefited taking control of the board away from Justin when he could have called a DD instead going to the one square on the board where the DD was least likely. Looking forward to seeing if she can play a strong game tomorrow.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

I think Katie did a good job. Maybe because it was a low bar with no data points until recently. My expectations are only guided by the occasional categories with a guest reader, and she easily beat the majority of them extrapolated to a whole game.
I didn't realize the top quark wasn't observed until 1995. I thought the Quantum Chromodynamic sausage was all finished in the 70's, except maybe the Higgs.

Pretty easy FJ, but the first reveal had me scared as I didn't notice the missing 's'. I think I knew there was a sequel to the freakout, but couldn't have guessed about the time and distance separation.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

I’m gonna be blunt. I did not like Katie Couric as a host. Yes, it’s only episode 1, but her style looked like I was watching a boring news show.

Besides the painful FJ! miss, it’s your usual helping of J!

6/10 (B-)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

billiej wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:00 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:04 pm
jpr281 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm Did anyone else have "piece of cake" for "cakewalk"?
I did. I don’t see anything that forces you to say cakewalk.
+1 for piece of cake.
If anything, I think 'piece of cake' was the intended response. (I.e., what does a 'cakewalk' have to do with no layers or icing?)

"Kudos" for 'expressions of gratitude'? I'm not changing my scoresheet at this point (I allowed it), but figured I'd ask anyway

WECIB final
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 pm
jpr281 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm Did anyone else have "piece of cake" for "cakewalk"?
+1 for piece of cake.
If anything, I think 'piece of cake' was the intended response. (I.e., what does a 'cakewalk' have to do with no layers or icing?)
Nah I think they wanted cakewalk but I have no objection to piece of cake as a valid alternative.
A surprisingly easy victory is known as one of these; despite the name--no layers, no icing
Referring to a victory in competition is basically the precise definition of cakewalk. Piece of cake can be anything easy, a task or a puzzle, and sure could also refer to an easy victory.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 4/4 on big clues. I didn't know about the South American War of the Worlds incident but the only South American drama that came to mind didn't fit that place or time. The description of the event on Wikipedia is pretty bleak.

Mixed up dregs and dredge and missed that one. For the Southern Courtroom clue I missed with Inherit the Wind. That's not a novel.

I didn't know Beethoven only had 9 symphonies. I thought he had more. I didn't know dead man's curve or ein klavier, or Bourgeois Bohemians.

If I had known they would accept Clara Schumann I would have gotten that. Not sure why that wasn't obvious.

I thought Katie Couric did great. She read the clues very clearly and the game went very smoothly.
Volante wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 pm "Kudos" for 'expressions of gratitude'? I'm not changing my scoresheet at this point (I allowed it), but figured I'd ask anyway
Maybe not. Definition comes up as "praise and honor received for an achievement." It's always plural but I'm not sure that it works.
Last edited by MattKnowles on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

+1 for piece of cake.

"Kudos" for 'expressions of gratitude'? I'm not changing my scoresheet at this point (I allowed it), but figured I'd ask anyway
+1 more for piece of cake, +1 for kudos, but see below.
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:17 pm I thought Katie Couric did great. She read the clues very clearly and the game went very smoothly.
Fully agree. Aside from a bit of probably unavoidable repetitiveness in her post-answer comments, I thought she was terrific. Very smooth and professional.
Volante wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 pm "Kudos" for 'expressions of gratitude'? I'm not changing my scoresheet at this point (I allowed it), but figured I'd ask anyway
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:17 pmMaybe not. Definition comes up as "praise and honor received for an achievement." It's always plural but I'm not sure that it works.
Except that kudos isn't a plural at all, just sounds like one in its language of origin (Greek) so many assume it's plural. Kinda like French cerise --> cherries. Kinda doubt the judges would have taken it, though, because as you note it doesn't mean gratitude.

One more for the judges:
These acts of restitution in steps 8 & 9 of Alcoholics Anonymous are always plural
Reparations? You rarely hear of making one reparation, any more than making one amend.
In and out of the pool four times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'd say no both on the definition front and the plural front.
reddpen wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:35 pm One more for the judges:
These acts of restitution in steps 8 & 9 of Alcoholics Anonymous are always plural
Reparations? You rarely hear of making one reparation, any more than making one amend.
That one's sufficiently pinned that only "amends" can be correct, as that's the word used in AA's steps 8 and 9.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:06 pm She was a little slow in reading the clues but all 61 got played so no harm, no foul. Snowflakes will be relieved to know she didn’t make any political comments.
PS: Define "Snowflake".
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kids' Week level FJ. I thought Katie Couric did a pretty good job overall. It was sort of funny that she said "aww.." during two out of the three interviews.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:13 pm
+1 for piece of cake.
Nah I think they wanted cakewalk but I have no objection to piece of cake as a valid alternative.
A surprisingly easy victory is known as one of these; despite the name--no layers, no icing
Referring to a victory in competition is basically the precise definition of cakewalk. Piece of cake can be anything easy, a task or a puzzle, and sure could also refer to an easy victory.
Except what does the tom of "no layers or icing" have to do with a cakewalk? That part makes more sense if the writers were trying to direct you to 'piece of cake' (which can have layers or icing) as opposed to a dance contest (...of questionable heritage). I had cakewalk myself, too, fyi

As far as 'kudos'...well, I'm still not changing my score, but it appears English has, once again, broken another word
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kudo
kudo noun
ku·​do | \ ˈkü-(ˌ)dō How to pronounce kudo (audio) , ˈkyü- \
plural kudos\ ˈkü-​(ˌ)dōz How to pronounce kudo (audio) , ˈkyü-​ \
~~
Is kudo a word?: Usage Guide

Some commentators hold that since kudos is a singular word it cannot be used as a plural and that the word kudo is impossible. But kudo does exist; it is simply one of the most recent words created by back-formation from another word misunderstood as a plural. Kudos was introduced into English in the 19th century; it was used in contexts where a reader unfamiliar with Greek could not be sure whether it was singular or plural. By the 1920s it began to appear as a plural, and about 25 years later kudo began to appear. It may have begun as a misunderstanding, but then so did cherry and pea.
Also, a number of the quotes used as examples of 'kudos' at M-W I feel could also be replaced with 'thanks' and not change the overall meaning,
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

I'd be surprised if kids today know anything about radio, let alone Orson Welles classics... :geek: But yes, it was an easy FJ.
BTW, it's been said in recent years that the idea of widespread panic from the original 1938 broadcast was greatly exaggerated...
https://slate.com/culture/2013/10/orson ... teria.html
My own opinion about the host: a bit too much gravitas, a newscaster's energy rather than an entertainer's...Not surprising, but I hope she'll have more fun as the fortnight goes on...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:49 am
jeff6286 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:13 pm

+1 for piece of cake.
Except what does the tom of "no layers or icing" have to do with a cakewalk? That part makes more sense if the writers were trying to direct you to 'piece of cake' (which can have layers or icing) as opposed to a dance contest (...of questionable heritage). I had cakewalk myself, too, fyi
You're reading too much into what was tacked on for the sake of the category's gimmick (THE CAKE IS A LIE, i.e. words or phrases containing "cake" that are unrelated to the dessert). They emphasized in almost all the clues the non-cake-ness of each clue's subject. In fact, since "a piece of cake" has a non-idiomatic meaning that actually does involve cake, I'd say that's good enough to disqualify it as a correct response in the context of the category.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Katie did fine. As long as the clues are read and there aren’t any major blunders, it really doesn’t matter to me how these guest hosts do. This is especially true of someone like Katie, who would not *seem* to be a contender for the permanent gig.

Alex was already established as a game show host and even did a trivia game (Double Dare) before Jeopardy. While many of these guest hosts have plenty of camera experience, doing a quick paced quiz show like Jeopardy is a daunting task. I just can’t expect her (or anyone) to add much more than clue reading and interviews. She did interject a few things along the way.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:14 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:06 pm She was a little slow in reading the clues but all 61 got played so no harm, no foul. Snowflakes will be relieved to know she didn’t make any political comments.
In this case, people refusing to watch these two weeks because they don’t like her politics.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

I can't be the only one struck by the irony of a missing S dooming Justin's FJ right after an entire category devoted to words ending with an S.

Katie Couric did fine. She was at ease, but the gameplay seemed a little slow?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

by Bamaman » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:35 am

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:14 am
Bamaman wrote: ↑Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:06 pm
She was a little slow in reading the clues but all 61 got played so no harm, no foul. Snowflakes will be relieved to know she didn’t make any political comments.
In this case, people refusing to watch these two weeks because they don’t like her politics.
I don't have any issues with Katie Couric's politics.
However, Katie was vocal that she did not like mine...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Picked Off wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:55 am I can't be the only one struck by the irony of a missing S dooming Justin's FJ right after an entire category devoted to words ending with an S.
The missing S didn't doom him; he was going to finish in 3rd even if he got it right. His lapse didn't affect anything.