Monday, March 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RADIO HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1949 broadcast in Spanish of this drama from 11 years before caused mass panic in Ecuador & the destruction of the radio station

Laura Portwood-Stacer: 15600+7601=23201 (2x = $42,601)
Justin Yaeger: 10200-5100=5100
Matt Wierman: 11600+10014=21614

Correct response:
Spoiler
"The War of the Worlds" (Justin – The War of the World)

Daily Doubles
Laura: 6000+2000
Matt: 15400-4000
Matt: 13400-3000

Coryats
Laura: 14200
Justin: 10200
Matt: 18600

Combined: 43,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Laura: 8000
Justin: 3000
Matt: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Katie's opening quickly honored Alex and showed appreciation for the matching amount to charity for the contestant winnings. Katie's closing was nothing like Mike's and after the amounts for charity, kept it short with, "We'll see you tomorrow, everyone."

Katie seemed mostly smooth on accepting/denying responses although I think I detected hesitation on the incorrect Baghdad and the science type of, top.

Katie used handheld cards for chat time unlike Mike who did not have them.

After the DJ! round Katie was definitely unlike other hosts when she complimented the players with, "you three brainiacs".

Matt lost 7000 with misses on DD2 & DD3. Give hi a get on either of those (not too difficult) clues and the carousel keeps on spinning. Laura's Coryat dipped from Friday's debut as I expected with a tougher match up of opponents.

The FJ! category had me try one precall and it was all I needed as my instincts were correct. The only thing I added to it was NJ. During the rest of the break I tried to recall the fictional village that was the setting and I could not get it to come to me until after the show was over when I used a Wilder detour.

Justin's miss was unfortunate to be so close while the salve was that it made no difference for the outcome.

Laura's winnings, plus the consolation prizes, get the charity match up to $26,201. If that holds over ten days then that is a tidy sum over a quarter of a million. For one guest host.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ACW

Post by ACW »

Question: I think adding an extra "The" is not okay, but what about just "War of the Worlds"?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ACW wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:32 pm Question: I think adding an extra "The" is not okay, but what about just "War of the Worlds"?
See archive? I don't understand.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

ACW wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:32 pm Question: I think adding an extra "The" is not okay, but what about just "War of the Worlds"?
Good without question.

Herodotus was one of my favorite books. He addressed the mystery of the annual flooding of the Nile, citing four explanations, including the correct one. He dismissed the idea of melting snow because typically it gets warmer as you go south. He inclined to the theory that desert sand storms blowing the sun off course were responsible.
I'm smart and I want respect.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Its weird to Hear a Female Hosting But i thought she was fine. IMO she could have been better in the Contestant Interviews.

I hadnt heard of Bourgeoise until Phineas and Ferb in High School.

Why did i Go with Guiding Light? idk why i went Soap Opera.

Lach Trash - Baseball
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

She was a little slow in reading the clues but all 61 got played so no harm, no foul. Snowflakes will be relieved to know she didn’t make any political comments.

Glad she got a game like this for her first outing. Only three misses on regular clues and the players didn’t skip around the board.

Nice that the first guest host picked a charity that fights pancreatic cancer. For those that didn’t see her interview, that disease killed her sister.

After an 0-5 week I was glad to get a quick solve today.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:45 pm Katie seemed mostly smooth on accepting/denying responses although I think I detected hesitation on the incorrect Baghdad and the science type of, top.
I had the impression that Katie hesitated on "quark" because she expected it to rhyme with "park", rather than (correctly) with "fork".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Both Mike and Katie have been a bit stiffer at reading the clues than Ken was, but I imagine that more detailed inflections come with practice. I noticed she pronounced "klavier" wrong, though her French and Spanish seemed mostly on point.

Katie was decent with the ad-libs and elaboration of clues, but (much like me) didn't have much to say about gameplay nuances.

I ran the D and Science categories, and got all but $200 in the TV category.

Radio broadcast causing panic = War of the Worlds

Lach Trash: Acadian, pancake makeup. Also got the Hadyn DD, thanks to remembering an old Peanuts strip.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Did anyone else have "piece of cake" for "cakewalk"?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jpr281 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm Did anyone else have "piece of cake" for "cakewalk"?
I did. I don’t see anything that forces you to say cakewalk.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Monster DJ! round for me with 28 R, making up for a lackluster first round, especially in the BOURGEOISIE category. Unfortunately, one of the 2 misses was the Le Havre DD. "Papa" was all I needed to hear to convert DD3 though.

After a few poor weeks of FJ for me, it was nice to get a softball. I'm sure like many others here, I accurately precalled the correct response, as well as names like Marconi and Elvis.

Thumbs up for Katie on her first episode.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Don't get me started on H.G. Wells titles and leading articles! :twisted:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Curves, Port L
DDs: :D :( :D
trash: baseball, Persians
FJ: War of the Worlds instaget :mrgreen:
By the time I get used to her voice, she'll be gone :|
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I precalled Guiding Light (without the leading article, oops!) and Betty White, but instastruck on the correct response, with the proper leading article. Radio + panic = The War of the Worlds. No problems with the two rulings made - unlike (The) Invisible Man, I don't think there's another, distinct work known as just "War of the Worlds". And not pluralizing it is a mistake, as it's not the title - plus, the "worlds" are our world and the world of the alien invaders, I presume.

TBH, I wasn't sure of the time period of the radio drama. I thought it was something my dad might have remembered as a young boy, but I doubt it - he was exactly one week old when it aired.

In "alternate responses that, dammit, I'm giving myself credit for", I'm going with the HBO comedy "Silicon Valley" for the clue of "Piper, prison". The company that is the center of Silicon Valley is Pied Piper, and the finale has a character winding up in prison. Okay, it's not the BEST response, but the clue wasn't the best. "Emergence" would also be a reasonable response - main character's name is a girl called "Piper", and the other main character is a cop who, IIRC, puts people in jail fairly frequently.

Katie Couric did a good job, especially giving her credit for it being the first day. I noticed she frequently reminded contestants who was in control of the board after a TS with ring-ins. It's neither negative nor positive...just a little quirk. I also noticed she didn't give a score recap after the first DD - and I notice she did after at least one of the other two DDs.
Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:45 pm Katie seemed mostly smooth on accepting/denying responses although I think I detected hesitation on the incorrect Baghdad and the science type of, top.
I had the impression that Katie hesitated on "quark" because she expected it to rhyme with "park", rather than (correctly) with "fork".
I thought it was that the response was a little garbled and sounded a little bit like "qu-i-rk", which would definitely be wrong. Interestingly, for her other hesitation, Baghdad is on the other river - the Tigris. I'd never heard of the gates of Babylon, so I can see the hesitation on the wrong response - better to get it right.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

If they're going to do a week of matching the winnings for charity then please bring James Holzhauer back.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:04 pm
jpr281 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm Did anyone else have "piece of cake" for "cakewalk"?
I did. I don’t see anything that forces you to say cakewalk.
+1 for piece of cake.