Wednesday, March 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6343, 2012-03-28

CONTESTANTS
Jeanie Kenkel, a registered nurse originally from Lincoln, Nebraska
Catie Fletcher, a municipal court clerk from Bozeman, Montana
Beau Henson, a test prep teacher and actor originally from Mt. Carmel, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Beau Henson--a test prep teacher who took out a doctor and a lawyer on yesterday's program in order to become champion, so, catie and Jeanie, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go--the Jeopardy! Round. Let's see how well all three of you do with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FEDERAL AGENCIES (2/5)
THE BAR MITZVAH BOY (4/5)
COLORFUL BOOKS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GATES (4/5)
AD VERBS (5/5)
"PRO" NOUNS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeanie: 7 R, 0 W
Beau: 9 R, 3 W
Catie: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Catie found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Beau had $1,600, Catie had $2,800, and Jeanie was at $200. Catie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

COLORFUL BOOKS $600: Georgeanne Brennan wrote a cookbook that shares its title with this Dr. Seuss classic
(Catie: Um, what is One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Beau: $1,800
Jeanie: $1,200
Catie: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Are they fans or fanatics? Let's find out. Jeanie Kenkel, originally from Nebraska. You have a web site devoted to "Jeopardy!

Jeanie: Yes.

Alex: How long have you had it?

Jeanie: Um, about two and a half years now.

Alex: And what do you do on this web site?

Jeanie: I blog about individual episodes when I can. I can't do it every single day, but I blog about episodes. Also, I went to an unofficial Jeopardy! reunion in Washington, D.C. this year, and I blogged all about that...

Alex: Gosh, well--

Jeanie: And interviewed some former champions. That kind of a thing.

Alex: Terrific. Well, thank you for that.

Jeanie: Yeah. Yeah.

Alex: Catie Fletcher--a municipal court clerk from Montana, and on her last day in court, what happened?

Catie: Well, I walked in the door to announce the judge. I said, "all rise". I looked out into the people waiting to see the judge, and they were all like this... [Holds up a paper mask of Alex Trebek's face to her face]

[Laughter]

Catie: And I lost it.

[Laughing]

Alex: Good for you. I'm glad you did. You're not the first woman I have made lose it in that way.

Alex: Beau Henson is our champ. He's from Illinois. Now for a photo shoot for the Edinburgh festival...

Beau: Yes.

Alex: Tell us.

Beau: Well, uh, we had this photo shoot for the Edinburgh fringe, and they called us in in all black and didn't tell us what it was gonna be, and they gave us paper plates to hold in front of our faces, much like that over there [indicating Catie's mask], and so we did that, left, didn't know what was gonna become of it, and the paper came out, and, uh, I think you'll like the end of this story 'cause he's a mortal enemy of yours...

Alex: Yes.

Beau: I ended up, uh, stealing Sean Connery's face. [Laughing]

Alex: Sean Connery--for those of you who watch Saturday Night Live, you know that the relationship between him and me--not a good one. Not a good one.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLORFUL BOOKS $800: Lady Arabella takes on the guise of the title creature in Bram Stoker's "Lair of" this

COLORFUL BOOKS $1000: G.K. Chesterton wrote many stories featuring this priest/sleuth
(Beau: Who is the Pink Panther?)

FEDERAL AGENCIES $600: The first weather & communications satellites were developed under the auspices of this federal agency
(Beau: What is the FCC?)

GATES $1000: This entrance to Jerusalem's old city was built by Suleyman in 1538 & is also called "the Hebron Gate"

FEDERAL AGENCIES $800: It was founded in 1914 to prevent unfair methods of competition in commerce
(Beau: What's the Better Business Bureau?)
(Catie: What is the SEC?)
(Alex: Catie, a minute to go now.)

FEDERAL AGENCIES $1000: In 1940 the Interior Dept. merged the Bureau of Fisheries & the Bureau of Biological Survey into this

THE BAR MITZVAH BOY $800: Future game show host & talent show judge:
Dec. 7, 1968, Toronto

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jeanie: $3,200
Beau: $2,200
Catie: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OFFICIAL STATE FRUITS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
A CLASSICAL MIXUP (3/5)
ALL ABOUT D (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV MEDICAL DRAMAS (5/5)
BIG WORDS (4/5)
AUSSIES & THE SEA (1/1) (Alex: And finally, clues from the Australian National Maritime Museum...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Beau: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Catie: 5 R, 0 W
Jeanie: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Beau snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Beau had $8,600, Catie had $1,600, and Jeanie was at $3,200. Beau wagered $3,500.

ALL ABOUT D $1600: In chemistry D is the symbol for this isotope of hydrogen

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Beau who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Beau had $14,500, Catie had $1,600, and Jeanie was at $1,200. Beau wagered $4,000.

OFFICIAL STATE FRUITS $2000: Arkansas
(also the state vegetable)
(Beau: What is... the peanut?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A CLASSICAL MIXUP $1200: Silly me! It wasn't the rock group Franz Ferdinand but this guy who gave us the 1867 "Hungarian Coronation Mass"

BIG WORDS $2000: In a John Cheever title, this adjective precedes "Radio"; E.E. Cummings used it before "Room"

ALL ABOUT D $2000: In this novel Boxer could trace letters in the dust with his hoof, but he could not get "beyond the letter D"

A CLASSICAL MIXUP $2000: German organist & composer who died in 1706--I was sure his last name comes before Biv & DeVoe
(Jeanie: What is Bell?)

OFFICIAL STATE FRUITS $1600: Texas
(the Texas red variety)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Beau: $10,500
Catie: $6,000
Jeanie: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LATIN PHRASES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Beau: Wager $1,501 to cover Catie, but no more than $1,699 so as not to fall behind Jeanie's doubled score.
Catie: You have the hope of surpassing Beau if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $4,501 to force Beau to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Jeanie.
Jeanie: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Though often associated with Machiavelli, this phrase, "exitus acta probat", first appears in a work by Ovid

FINAL SCORES
Jeanie: $4,400 - $0 = $4,400 (What is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Catie: $6,000 - $6,000 = $0 (What is the plays the thing) (3rd place: $1,000)
Beau: $10,500 + $1,501 = $12,001 (What is "The end justifies the means?") (2-day champion: $28,002)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Beau: $12,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Catie: $8,800, 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jeanie: $4,400, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $25,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Beau: 21/60 = .350
Catie: 12/59 = .203
Jeanie: 11/58 = .190
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"PRO" NOUNS $800: It's a detailed description of a company & its financial standing available to investors
(Catie: What is a profit-loss statement?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; reversed before the Daily Double at clue 9.]

A CLASSICAL MIXUP $800: I was convinced Rossini wrote an 1829 opera about one of the Black Eyed Peas & this was the title, complete with dots
(Jeanie: What is will.i.am? ... William Tell?)
(Alex: You had to get it all broken down that way, Jeanie.)

BIG WORDS $1600: A book about Senator Joe McCarthy is called "A Conspiracy So" this word literally meaning not measurable
(Jeanie: What is infinite?)

TV MEDICAL DRAMAS $800: Thomas Noguchi, "coroner to the stars", was said to be the inspiration for this 1976-1983 series
(Alex: Correct, with a minute to go.)

AUSSIES & THE SEA $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew stands in the National Maritime Museum in Sydney, Australia.) Ken Warby wanted to break the world speed record for boats, so he built the "Spirit of Australia", a wooden type of this craft that makes little contact with the water; 288 miles per hour later, he had his record
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Green Eggs and Ham
the White Worm
Father Brown
NASA
the Jaffa Gate
the FTC (Federal Trade Commission)
the Fish and Wildlife Service
Howie Mandel
deuterium
the tomato
Franz Liszt
enormous
Animal Farm
Pachelbel
grapefruit
the end justifies the means
a prospectus
will.i.am Tell
immense
Quincy
a hydroplane
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Latin Phrases
Though often associated with Machiavelli, this phrase, "Exitus acta probat", first appears in a work by Ovid.
Spoiler
What is "The end justifies the means"? Jeanie had no guess; Catie said "The play's the thing".
Beau Henson: $10,500+$1,501=$12,001...now a 2-day champion with $28,002
Catie Fletcher: $6,000-$6,000=$0
Jeanie Kenkel: $4,400-$0=$4,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

jeanie today, right? good retro luck!
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

jpahk wrote:jeanie today, right? good retro luck!
Thank you, J!oon!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I'm not asking for myself, because I gave the right wording, but how do you think the judges would have ruled on "the ends justify the means"? I struggled for 20 seconds on how to word my answer.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, how did I totally fail to come up with "Green Eggs and Ham" when spotted "color" + Dr. Seuss + food? Herp derp.

Franz something in Classical for $1200. I was thinking Lizst at first, but said "No, if you say Lizst, it's going to be Schubert." The one time I would've gotten a coin flip RIGHT and I clam. It's like I'm cursed.

Never heard that phrase before. I know a lot of Latin roots, but nothing was coming to me. "Exitus" had me thinking éxito in Spanish, which means hit or success, so I said "success or failure" just to have something.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

(swoon)

Not sure if I would have gotten it exactly had they not given the Machiavelli clue.

Some hard questions tonight - clearly they got their money's worth out of that Israel trip. But not so much out of Australia, but they'll cram those clue crew questions down our throats at some point, don't you worry.

The contestant at podium number three probably does not have fond memories of the music category. I think the Will.I.Am Tell question is one of the strangest ones I have seen in some time. It's all reasonable knowledge, it's just not immediately obvious that the category is going to be that funky.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:I'm not asking for myself, because I gave the right wording, but how do you think the judges would have ruled on "the ends justify the means"? I struggled for 20 seconds on how to word my answer.
Honestly, I think they have to give anything close - it's a translation, and a translation of a well known but idiomatic expression at that.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Franz something in Classical for $1200. I was thinking Lizst at first, but said "No, if you say Lizst, it's going to be Schubert." The one time I would've gotten a coin flip RIGHT and I clam. It's like I'm cursed.
Liszt = Hungarian, Schubert = Austrian
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:I'm not asking for myself, because I gave the right wording, but how do you think the judges would have ruled on "the ends justify the means"? I struggled for 20 seconds on how to word my answer.
I've heard people say it that way a million times. Has it ever come up before?

Insta-insta-instaget the second he said Machiavelli. Frankly, they should've left that bit out, and found some way to refer to him without using his name ("...a Renaissance writer", perhaps).

I thought for sure we were going to run out of time in the J! round, with Alex insisting on giving us the full name of every agency...
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Good game by Beau.

I picked up Lach Trash for Father Brown, NASA, and Liszt.

Judges: proclivity for propensity?

I had no chance on FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DWS wrote:Judges: proclivity for propensity?
Synonyms
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

DWS wrote:Good game by Beau.

I had no chance on FJ.
Proclivity? Sure, why not. The problem with Jeopardy in recent years is that these vague "give a noun, etc" categories usually have an answer or two lurking that the writers haven't considered. The nice thing about the answer being "Tosca" is that it is probably only "Tosca."

I didn't think credit should have been given for profit-and-loss statement FWIW, since that's more than a noun, and the key word is being used as a descriptor.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Jeanie, sorry you had to play that Classical Mixup category. I felt for you as it was a bit tricky. I'm sure you had a great time though and I know you'll try out again after Alex retires.

Will you rename your blog to The Jeopardy! Contestant/Fan now?
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Austin Powers wrote:
DWS wrote:Good game by Beau.

I had no chance on FJ.
Proclivity? Sure, why not. The problem with Jeopardy in recent years is that these vague "give a noun, etc" categories usually have an answer or two lurking that the writers haven't considered. The nice thing about the answer being "Tosca" is that it is probably only "Tosca."

I didn't think credit should have been given for profit-and-loss statement FWIW, since that's more than a noun, and the key word is being used as a descriptor.
Yeah, I said proclivity too. I'm betting that the writers had that as an alternate answer.

As for profit-and-loss, a lot of business people use that as the term itself without tacking "statement" onto the end. I was fine with them accepting it.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I have to say Jeanie sure had some poor luck.

As for the "huge" question about New York-ers, I have never interacted with someone who speaks like that. (As I grew up here and still live here today.)

Though, I can say we do tend to say things like : Manheten(for Manhattan), New Yawk(New York), and "wait on line"(instead of wait in line).
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

'Classical Mixup' was bound for disaster. On the Will.ia.m one, I knew the pieces of the answer, but I wasn't even certain how they wanted it phrased. They took Will.i.am tell, but wanted plain Ravel and Pachelbel? Eh.

Missed FJ. Felt like I ought to know this one, but just couldn't pull it and assorted ominous Machiavellian quotes floated through my head. None of them remotely accurate. :)

It was great seeing you on TV, Jeanie!
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

RCraig wrote:I'm sure you had a great time though and I know you'll try out again after Alex retires.
Can we please put this rumor to rest? Alex's retirement will have NO effect on the rules of eligibility for the show (except of course for the addition of three words: "or [new host]").
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

cheezguyty wrote:
RCraig wrote:I'm sure you had a great time though and I know you'll try out again after Alex retires.
Can we please put this rumor to rest? Alex's retirement will have NO effect on the rules of eligibility for the show (except of course for the addition of three words: "or [new host]").
It's not rumour. It's speculation. Nobody knows if the rules of eligibility will change or if the show will continue beyond Alex's involvement.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.