Friday, March 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC PLACES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
8 presidents have visited this battle site with an Algonquian name about 50 miles from Washington; for McKinley, it was a return visit

Dave Pai: 4400-0=4400 (2x = $32,700)
Michalle Gould: 16800-16700=100
Keith Bednarczuk: 16082-16080=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
Antietam (Dave – Appo) (Michalle – Gettysburg) (Keith – Monmouth)

Daily Doubles
Keith: 1000+682
Michalle: 9600-2000
Michalle: 13200+2000

Coryats
Dave: 4400
Michalle: 18000
Keith: 15800

Combined: 38,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: 2000
Michalle: 3600
Keith: 6482
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The charity took a hit today with only $7400 added to the total to put it below the $250K+ line pace it was looking at earlier in the week.

Even though Katie was saying ME-hal for Michalle's name my ears kept wanting to process it a "ni hao" Chinese greeting. When typing Michalle's name for the post above my fingers kept wanting to make it Michelle or Michaelle.

At chat Keith used the relevant to this weekend though trapdoor springing term for some of "daylight savings time". Bye bye.

I am guilty of a laughing curse at OVERCOMING OBSTACLES $2000 as my reaction to the pitcher born without a right hand clue was, "No [fudging] way". Only I didn't say fudge... I would have been floored if the players got the name as by that point of the game and two days of seeing Dave it had guaranteed stumper written all over it.

The FJ! category had me doing a rare thing as instead of thinking nationally first I went across the pond for Runnymede, Hastings, and Bosworth. Realizing it could be U.S. I added Salem as you can never trust the writers not to go to that well again.

The FJ! clue had me failing to take all the words in with my first try as my mind cut it off early and I was trying to do things in the American Revolution. I was mentally crossing off Saratoga, Yorktown and even considered Valley Forge and Delaware.

I next had the thought that it could be Civil War and it was natural to have Gettysburg pop in my head. Algonquian? Don't see it.

On a rereading of the clue I keyed in on 50 miles from Washington. Okay, better. Maryland? Oh, there's a guess at least, as I wrote the correct name. Algonquian seemed shaky to me, but I had nothing better and good thing I never thought of Dave's place.

At this point of having read the clue all the way through more than once I had a brief detour of Denali/McKinley. Nah, can't be.

Just as time was up I took in the end of the clue once more about McKinley "return visit" and finally understood how the dots properly connected without my having to guess at the battle.

A get is a get and I'll gladly take it when it stumped the players and boosts me up to 60% for the week.

Earlier in the week on Reddit there was a post about the lunch break after the Tuesday game. If the 5-a-day held then it probably was an even longer day for the contestants than one who appeared prior to the 2020s. I suspect Dave was more than ready for a break as his performance dropped big time.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a win for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Had No Clue on Final.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I swore Katie was saying “ni hao”, too.

Figured FJ was either Manassas or Antietam. Went with Manassas because I thought it sounded more like an Indian name to me, although I was worried since it was also known under an English name as well.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Leander wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 pm I swore Katie was saying “ni hao”, too.

Figured FJ was either Manassas or Antietam. Went with Manassas because I thought it sounded more like an Indian name to me, although I was worried since it was also known under an English name as well.
It was down to those two for me too. I thought Manassas was a little too close to DC, so landed on the right one.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Somehow I forgot all about Antietam.
Leander wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 pm Figured FJ was either Manassas or Antietam. Went with Manassas because I thought it sounded more like an Indian name to me, although I was worried since it was also known under an English name as well.
Antietam is as well (Sharpsburg).
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

Leander wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 pm I swore Katie was saying “ni hao”, too.

Having worked at both sites, I knew that Manassas is about 25 miles from D.C., but the McKinley thing was the big giveaway to me. That said I’m unsurprised this played hard, as I happen to have specialized experience on this one.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got Antietam right away and didn't toy with anything else.

I think the correct version of the phrase is stamping ground. There was another word that Katie mispronounced later in the game.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Okay, why in wide world of sports would they say "50 miles from Washington"? Are they being vague on purpose? There's a state, river, and prominent mountain all named Washington. Why be so obtuse? What lousy wording...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Probably because the state of Washington isn't known for its battle sites.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 pm Probably because the state of Washington isn't known for its battle sites.
I seem to recall a pretty prominent late 19th century battle in Montana.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I loved the Obstacles category. Didn't love blanking on Thunberg's name.

Katie seemed to be aware that the champ was still able to pull out a win.

Lach Trash: stomping ground beef, Parson Weems (thank you, Dave Barry)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: 6-letter countries (no Canada, eh!), Americana, Record Collection,
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Arrrr! Captain Morgan 8-) , stomping ground beef, Herbert Hoover DD, Parson Weems, Jim Abbott,
FJ: Antietam WAG :o . Keith's bet.... :?
I can never remember Captain Phillips' name...
Guessed Nicholas Nickleby for Pickwick Papers
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:21 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 pm Probably because the state of Washington isn't known for its battle sites.
Dude! Little Bighorn is almost 600 miles from the closest point in the state of Washington.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easy FJ. Those guesses by the challengers were unusual. Too bad for that charity.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:32 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:21 pm
Dude! Little Bighorn is almost 600 miles from the closest point in the state of Washington.
The point isn't the fact that the distance from that battle site to Washington state is much longer than. 50 miles. The point is that not accurately defining the key location in the clue, whether intentional or not, gives the contestants' minds the opportunity to wander to that part of the country, and when put on a time limit, that could be the difference in the game.

IMO, the clue made me and possibly others have to consider whether they meant any number of places named "Washington", when it may not have been the clue writers' intention to disrupt the mental pathways needed to solve this clue. To me, the gymnastics required in the clue were math based on McKinley's presidency and his age at the time of said battle, plus identifying a site with an Algonquin name, as well as important enough to have gone down in the annals of American history.

In the end, my point is: shouldn't they have added the "D.C."? If it messes with the length of the clue, how about "the capital" or "the White House"? Why be vague enough to cause problems, whether intentional or not?