Friday, March 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

Bob78164 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 pm This game is a win for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
And it's a loss for the sap who never bothered to study wagering before making his appearance, and threw away the game he should have won.

Sheesh. They never learn. :roll:
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:42 pm I've added a note in the FJ! round for Katie's "chickamonga".
It's hard for me to play back my internal tape, but I probably would have said Chickamauga with 70% confidence that it was the right wrong answer. I reported as guessing Chickamonga just to avoid this conversation in a quest to not make anyone dumber. Yeah, as usual, befuddlement ensues...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

John Boy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:25 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 pm This game is a win for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
And it's a loss for the sap who never bothered to study wagering before making his appearance, and threw away the game he should have won.

Sheesh. They never learn. :roll:
One of my wife's friends messaged me on Thursday that Keith was a husband of one of her friends and I needed to watch him today. My response was, and I quote, "Please tell me I'm not going to see a Final Jeopardy wager that makes me want to throw things."

And of course, he pulls what is for all intents and purposes a Cliff Clavin.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Negged with Shenandoah, which is frustratingly close and also from the Algonquian. Alas.

I will never in a million years understand that wager from second place. There are so many options there between $1400 and $7200 (I'm rounding) that would be justifiable. Any single one of those and Keith wins.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Picked Off wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:54 pm Negged with Shenandoah, which is frustratingly close and also from the Algonquian. Alas.

I will never in a million years understand that wager from second place. There are so many options there between $1400 and $7200 (I'm rounding) that would be justifiable. Any single one of those and Keith wins.
Any wager that kept him above $8,800 on a miss would have been fine. But don’t expect people to figure this out anytime soon.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

I knew Katie would eventually win FJ! Tough clue...

5/10 (C)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:03 pm
Picked Off wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:54 pm Negged with Shenandoah, which is frustratingly close and also from the Algonquian. Alas.

Any wager that kept him above $8,800 on a miss would have been fine. But don’t expect people to figure this out anytime soon.
Argh! It’s so frustrating to watch as someone frozen in the covid contestant pool :/

Got spoiled on final so I’ll never know.

That has got to be one of the worst before and after clue sets in the history of jeopardy!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Jim Abbott.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Henry Morgan, Magicians, Corporate Social Responsibility, Rankle, Investment Trust Fall, Stomping Ground Beef, (Herbert Hoover), Parson Weems
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:10 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:08 pm Thank you Katie for the detailed explanation at the reveal. At least I know that my total made up WAG of Chickamonga was cromulent. I'm sure the writers provided the intel, but we've been left in the dark before by AT many times. This FJ was ungettable to me, if I finally remember Antietam, it doesn't sound Native American to me. Maybe Dutch?
Probably still would have negged you , as it's Chickmauga.

Antietam definitely doesn't sound Dutch to me and ik spreek een beetje Nederlands.
What if they spelled it Antjetaam?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:31 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:10 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:08 pm Thank you Katie for the detailed explanation at the reveal. At least I know that my total made up WAG of Chickamonga was cromulent. I'm sure the writers provided the intel, but we've been left in the dark before by AT many times. This FJ was ungettable to me, if I finally remember Antietam, it doesn't sound Native American to me. Maybe Dutch?
Probably still would have negged you , as it's Chickmauga.

Antietam definitely doesn't sound Dutch to me and ik spreek een beetje Nederlands.
What if they spelled it Antjetaam?
Maybe, but then it would be pronounced Ant-shuh-tam.