Tuesday, March 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:04 pm Katie was probably aghast that two players old enough to remember Wild World of Sports didn’t know where the cliff divers were from.
I always watched those as a kid. Honestly, I was amazed that they didn't just crash into the rocks on the way down.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I thought "what it supplied" and naming 2 sculptors (plus specifying 3 "a"s) made this FJ easy. "Carrara marble" is a thing, I don't know anything else about the city or the material...More name recognition than a geography clue...
Since the players couldn't get Roles in Common for $1000, I didn't feel bad about accepting, for myself, Mrs. Addams. In the moment, the best I could come up with for her first name was Letitia... :oops:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got FJ as soon as I counted the a's in Carrara. I'm familiar with some famous statuary from there.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:07 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:53 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:41 pm Also, you can see an earthrise from the moon's surface, but it would be a very long event and not like anything you'd experience from orbit.
I'm curious, how?
While the moon is tidally locked with the Earth, it does 'wiggle' a bit as it orbits, so if you're near the very edge of where you could see the Earth from the surface, you'd get about a 2-day 'earthrise'.
Cool! Okay, now I kinda want to go do that...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 pm I thought "what it supplied" and naming 2 sculptors (plus specifying 3 "a"s) made this FJ easy. "Carrara marble" is a thing, I don't know anything else about the city or the material...More name recognition than a geography clue...
Since the players couldn't get Roles in Common for $1000, I didn't feel bad about accepting, for myself, Mrs. Addams. In the moment, the best I could come up with for her first name was Letitia... :oops:
I would take it. Mrs. Addams was the name of the character.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:29 pm Moles threw me twice in that category, since I didn't know that shrews were moles either; I thought they were their own thing.
You're not wrong: the clue was asking about 'shrew moles' which are separate from shrews. (Much like how in DJ they asked for 'bumblebee bats' which are, similarly, separate from bumblebees.)

Boo on the contestants for not knowing gophers. Or squirrels.

Inadvertently precalled the first DJ trying to come up with a pun involving 'gainer'. (e.g., "With as much as I know about diving, I don't expect to gainer much from this!" ...but trying to make it suck less.)

Stumbled backasswards into 'governor' by not hearing the year for the Carter clue but figuring "bigger things" -didn't- mean his stint with Habitat for Humanity. :lol:

Got earthrise on the rebound. Yes, yes, Apollo 8 was a klaxon, but a moon involved space themed clue that 'starts and ends with 'e''? Gotta admit that's a smidge negbaity for 'eclipse'

I expect Mark's "I knew the material they were referring to in Tuesday's FJ!, just not the location" poll question is going to get some love come Saturday. My 'Marbala' wasn't going to cut it...
Last edited by Volante on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

the final jeopardy was an instaget for anyone who has read "the agony and the ecstasy" by irving stone, where one learns that almost all of michaelangelo's marble works were quarried in carrara.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The line from Invictus was a favorite of Alex’s.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

32R. 2/4 on big clues. Real tough game for me. I've heard the term gainer but I couldn't pull it. That clue seems easy if you can get it from the diving path and hard if you need to think of synonyms for someone who profits. I've seen several videos of the Carrara quarry and they're really cool but the name never stuck.

I missed earthrise and said eclipse. I missed UPS and said DHL. The trick there was that UPS headquarters is in Atlanta.

ROLE IN COMMON and HARD-HITTING WORDS were especially tough for me. Went 1/10 in those two only getting the Lizzie Borden clue.
alan tiger wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:42 pm the final jeopardy was an instaget for anyone who has read "the agony and the ecstasy" by irving stone, where one learns that almost all of michaelangelo's marble works were quarried in carrara.
Is it worth reading?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had "Alabaster" for FJ; I agonized over whether to give it a more Italianate ending, but the most plausible one would have been a fourth A. Plus I decided that I'd rather get it wrong by not changing the word than by changing it.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 pm I thought "what it supplied" and naming 2 sculptors (plus specifying 3 "a"s) made this FJ easy. "Carrara marble" is a thing, I don't know anything else about the city or the material...More name recognition than a geography clue...
Totally agree. Despite the category name, this was very much art/craft and not really geography. In addition to the type used in sculpture, lesser quality Carrara marble is among the most widely available and least expensive marbles used for tiling and countertops.
I would prefer not to.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm really enjoying Katie's hosting.

I was shocked by the triple miss, but I'm more surprised at the seemingly-low get rate here. The movie of The Agony and the Ecstasy is very good as well.

I Pavloved 'eclipse' as well.

Here you go (although it's from orbit, so it's a lot less than 2 days):

yclept

Post by yclept »

Tough game. One of the few games that didn’t have much rhythm in the post-Trebek era.

It looks like we have hit a bit of a lull on streaking champs. John’s last game of his four-game run was on 2/12. No 5+ since Zach. We are reaching that point where I am starting to get anxious for the next big champion to follow.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for the information on earth rise. Next time I am on the moon I will check it out.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:29 am I'm really enjoying Katie's hosting.

I was shocked by the triple miss, but I'm more surprised at the seemingly-low get rate here. The movie of The Agony and the Ecstasy is very good as well.
I've seen the movie, but that was about 40 years ago, so small details may have been forgotten. :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The entire notion that that FJ was "easy" is preposterous. I thought the clues were quite terrible overall.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:24 pm The entire notion that that FJ was "easy" is preposterous. I thought the clues were quite terrible overall.
Yes. "It's easy if you've read this particular book" isn't the same thing.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
davey

Post by davey »

zakharov wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:27 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:24 pm The entire notion that that FJ was "easy" is preposterous. I thought the clues were quite terrible overall.
You don't have to know The Agony and the Ecstasy, you just have to have learned the phrase "Carrara marble." I don't have an idea where I know it from. It means nothing more to me than "Corinthian leather." A buzz phrase, probably used promotionally. I have no interest in marble, or even "tiling and countertops," a use Bartleby mentioned earlier. But somehow I picked it up, and am surprised other also uninterested folks haven't.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm
zakharov wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:27 pm
You don't have to know The Agony and the Ecstasy, you just have to have learned the phrase "Carrara marble." I don't have an idea where I know it from. It means nothing more to me than "Corinthian leather." A buzz phrase, probably used promotionally. I have no interest in marble, or even "tiling and countertops," a use Bartleby mentioned earlier. But somehow I picked it up, and am surprised other also uninterested folks haven't.
I fully expected it to be something I'd heard of after the reveal, but "Carrara" didn't even give me a glimmer of recognition. It obviously wasn't an impossible question since you and several others got it easily, but I bet the weekly poll will show it was pretty darn difficult.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm You don't have to know The Agony and the Ecstasy, you just have to have learned the phrase "Carrara marble." I don't have an idea where I know it from. It means nothing more to me than "Corinthian leather." A buzz phrase, probably used promotionally. I have no interest in marble, or even "tiling and countertops," a use Bartleby mentioned earlier. But somehow I picked it up, and am surprised other also uninterested folks haven't.
Well, if I had Ricardo Montalban telling me about Carrara marble instead of Corinthian leather, that's probably the one I'd remember. :)