Tuesday, March 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:52 pm
davey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm You don't have to know The Agony and the Ecstasy, you just have to have learned the phrase "Carrara marble." I don't have an idea where I know it from. It means nothing more to me than "Corinthian leather." A buzz phrase, probably used promotionally. I have no interest in marble, or even "tiling and countertops," a use Bartleby mentioned earlier. But somehow I picked it up, and am surprised other also uninterested folks haven't.
Well, if I had Ricardo Montalban telling me about Carrara marble instead of Corinthian leather, that's probably the one I'd remember. :)
+1
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:54 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:52 pm
davey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm You don't have to know The Agony and the Ecstasy, you just have to have learned the phrase "Carrara marble." I don't have an idea where I know it from. It means nothing more to me than "Corinthian leather." A buzz phrase, probably used promotionally. I have no interest in marble, or even "tiling and countertops," a use Bartleby mentioned earlier. But somehow I picked it up, and am surprised other also uninterested folks haven't.
Well, if I had Ricardo Montalban telling me about Carrara marble instead of Corinthian leather, that's probably the one I'd remember. :)
+1
I think if a car's seats were made of fine Carrara marble, they would weigh the car down. And be really uncomfortable.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Carrara was an instaget for me. Maybe grow up in NY helped because it was an aspirational item for many folks.

Tough game to watch & I’m not even complaining about couric. I thought Tom was really strong on Monday but he and the others missed so many yesterday. It was almost a battle of attrition. Let’s hope we see a better game today.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:10 pm
I like how the guy is missing parts of his fingers.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Even the satellite image of the quarry is quite dramatic. It's almost like the mountains are snow-covered.

Carrara Quarry
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

zakharov wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:05 pm I've never heard of Carrara in my life. Don't even feel bad for missing it.
+1 on that...

Overall, this game seemed like TOC-level difficult, except for Acapulco, for which Katie rightly admonished the contestants, and "Hardening of the Arteries".

But of course, there were a couple Triple Stumpers I facepalmed on... Sometimes I wonder what's going on in my dome...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm
You don't have to know The Agony and the Ecstasy, you just have to have learned the phrase "Carrara marble." I don't have an idea where I know it from. It means nothing more to me than "Corinthian leather." A buzz phrase, probably used promotionally. I have no interest in marble, or even "tiling and countertops," a use Bartleby mentioned earlier. But somehow I picked it up, and am surprised other also uninterested folks haven't.
This is a perfect correlation. I have the same relationship with Cashmere wool. Except it helps me remember the disputed Indian/Pakistan/China region :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This has been the best game-day thread in a long time :D

FJ: I went immediately to marble, and took a few seconds to get the most Italian name I know and then eliminated Travertine. I made it to Carrera (sic) next, and sadly, got stuck there. Looking for 3 a's took me to Alabaster (which always takes me to Abalone -don't know why :lol:), and I knew that wasn't viable. I will have to take the neg in the poll, even though I knew the answer, somehow I was contaminated with hearing the word and never have seen it spelled.
I wish I could have thought of "paintbrushia" or "marbala" :).
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:29 pm Katie had some good ad-libs, like snapping her fingers on the Addams clue and "shake it off" after the Taylor Swift story.

Lach Trash: squirrel,
Katie is winning the guest host sweepstakes. Gonna be a tough act to follow.

Sabertooth Squirrels? My cats can take 'em.
econgator wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:07 pm
While the moon is tidally locked with the Earth, it does 'wiggle' a bit as it orbits, so if you're near the very edge of where you could see the Earth from the surface, you'd get about a 2-day 'earthrise'.
Thanks for explaining this. Terrible clue. I think "earthrise" images were featured from lunar orbit, but that is indistinguishable from an "eclipse", so they made the clue worse. It's a tempting clue, but I can't figure a good way to frame it suitable for a game clue.
alan tiger wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:42 pm the final jeopardy was an instaget for anyone who has read "the agony and the ecstasy" by irving stone, where one learns that almost all of michaelangelo's marble works were quarried in carrara.
I read the Mad Magazine version. Maybe they are the mopes that indoctrinated the wrong spelling to me :lol:.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Yikes, this episode was such a dud. I also had no clue on FJ!.

3/10 (D)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
davey

Post by davey »

Someone who knows better than me has informed me that there is another Italian marble, more coveted and more expensive, called Calacatta marble. Note the 3 "a"s...I'm glad that one is less famous, because it seems like a cromulent guess for the hazily informed....If I had said that I'd be quite upset - especially since it too comes from a quarry in Carrara...!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:25 pm Someone who knows better than me has informed me that there is another Italian marble, more coveted and more expensive, called Calacatta marble. Note the 3 "a"s...I'm glad that one is less famous, because it seems like a cromulent guess for the hazily informed....If I had said that I'd be quite upset - especially since it too comes from a quarry in Carrara...!
Which three A's am I to note: the first, second, and third; the first, second, and fourth; the first, third, and fourth; or the second, third, and fourth?
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:13 pm
davey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:25 pm Someone who knows better than me has informed me that there is another Italian marble, more coveted and more expensive, called Calacatta marble. Note the 3 "a"s...I'm glad that one is less famous, because it seems like a cromulent guess for the hazily informed....If I had said that I'd be quite upset - especially since it too comes from a quarry in Carrara...!
Which three A's am I to note: the first, second, and third; the first, second, and fourth; the first, third, and fourth; or the second, third, and fourth?
So glad you noticed all of them!... :D
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:32 pm As proven above, I've seen Carrara before, but it certainly never stuck (and quite honestly if this were asked again in a year, I'll still miss it). I couldn't come up with any cities with 3 "A"s in it.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:29 pm I'm curious to see how people did in that Song category. I usually hold my own, but I got only $1,200 this time
I got all but the $400.
Me too. i've only seen it once before.
What is the significance of the Piazza and who is Henry Moore?

Oh boy...
davey

Post by davey »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:29 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:13 pm
So glad you noticed all of them!... :D
I will use as an excuse that I originally thought it was spelled Calcatta, which was, if only briefly, true... :oops:
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

I was lost for FJ. Knew there was a marble tie-in. Couldn't find one. Now I know. I think I still would have won this one from the fourth podium. That was a rough game. I was rooting for Wendy, a fellow Capital Regioner and former radio producer. How could I not?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Leander

Post by Leander »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:46 pm This has been the best game-day thread in a long time :D

FJ: I went immediately to marble, and took a few seconds to get the most Italian name I know and then eliminated Travertine. I made it to Carrera (sic) next, and sadly, got stuck there.
While I guess my knowledge of art made this an instaget, I probably would have spelled it Carrera without the guidance in the clue.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

FJ was another example of a one-way clue for me. "Carrara is known for this" and marble is an instaget, but "Marble is quarried in this Italian city with three As" is a stand and stare.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Leander wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:44 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:46 pm This has been the best game-day thread in a long time :D

FJ: I went immediately to marble, and took a few seconds to get the most Italian name I know and then eliminated Travertine. I made it to Carrera (sic) next, and sadly, got stuck there.
While I guess my knowledge of art made this an instaget, I probably would have spelled it Carrera without the guidance in the clue.
Well, this piqued my curiosity :). I dove into the rabbit hole and it seems the fancy foreign word pool got contaminated by the Porsche car model "Carrera". It is from a Spanish word meaning "race", or "career". Both terms are in about the same place in my ecosystem - exotic terms that I will likely never encounter in the wild. I also clicked on a pronunciation sight, and the Italian pronunciation of Carrara just confirms I will never speak that language. He must trill the double-r about 10 beats in a 1/4 second :lol:.

Damn Porsche. Makes me feel better about my new BMW with their weird alphanumeric names.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:37 pm
Damn Porsche. Makes me feel better about my new BMW with their weird alphanumeric names.
N.B. I also drive a BMW.

BMW Asshole Small.jpg
BMW Asshole Small.jpg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 2633 times