Thursday, March 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

No hope on the Broadway play, but I would have picked POTO from a list. I cratered on it early thinking I needed the name of the character, and well, I don't know any lead roles but maybe Frankie Valee (sp?) and surely 15 people haven't done that role.

I don't usually jump on quality control (or lack thereof) bandwagons, but the electricity clue was a disaster. And it was next to a category called "Units of Measure", so why was it even in the game?

China is the top consumer of electricity, in 2016 using more than 5 trillion of these units.

They should have just said "what does kwh stand for, because China used a buttload of them".

I like to make "Fermi estimates" in the shower, or to bore myself to sleep - I've guesstimated the weight of the earth or the volume of weather balloons to launch in a lawn chair many times, and usually within an order of magnitude. I can NOT, however get to a position to decide if this is supposed to be kilowatts, megawatts, or kwh. Nobody can relate to trillions of units of anything anymore than we can relate to astronomical distances. (and more amazingly, it's further to the bottom of the length scale than it is to the edge of the universe)

for the masochist, here is my Fermi estimate for this clue:
Spoiler
I would assume a 5000:1 ratio for the power (kw) to energy (kwh) requirement.
Assuming there are 1.5 billion Chinese. Estimating my consumption at $200/mo for $0.10/kwh means 2000 kwh per month = 25000 kwh/year. Simplify the math and heavily discount the usage from our wasteful habits and call it 1 billion Chinese using 10000 kwh/year means 10 trillion. It looks like half of this, so finally, I know they mean energy, not power (no way to work a 5000x divisor in the guess).
Katie is still killing it. Nice work by Morgan. I think a larger bet for a better payday would have been a risk given the unpredictably of this season's betters. I can see someone not making the cover bet from second.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

I happen to know Howard McGillin's work (ever since he was in the original cast of The Mystery of Edwin Drood), and I knew he was in POTO a long time (probably even read in a Playbill that he was the record-holder), so i had an advantage. But you had to think long runs and strong male leads. Music Man wasn't a bad guess. But you need really long runs... Les Miserables might tempt because Valjean has been played by a lot of actors you never heard of...But it makes sense to go with the longest run of all...
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

My dad paused on FJ...and we still couldn’t get it. Good show overall, but I’m surprised the SONY clue stumped everyone - we’re literally on their ground!

7/10 (B)

PS: I loved Sting’s song in the end.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 pm When did Matt pass Morgan? She looked like she had the game under control. :?:
The last 3-4 clues
davey wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:17 pm I happen to know Howard McGillin's work (ever since he was in the original cast of The Mystery of Edwin Drood), and I knew he was in POTO a long time (probably even read in a Playbill that he was the record-holder), so i had an advantage. But you had to think long runs and strong male leads. Music Man wasn't a bad guess. But you need really long runs... Les Miserables might tempt because Valjean has been played by a lot of actors you never heard of...But it makes sense to go with the longest run of all...
Like, -very long-, too, because Crawford and Gaines also have quad-digit performances (though I can't rightly tell if those are split between Broadway and LA...my Google-fu is failing at finding a list of "How many times did X play the Phantom on Broadway")
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

47R. 3/4 on big clues. For FJ at first I thought they wanted the play then I read the category and thought they wanted the role. The first thing I thought of was Cats but that has nothing to do with a role. Then I got stuck thinking that Don Quixote/Cervantes was already used as a clue and it wasn't going to be Man of La Mancha. Then I wrote Rodolfo. Then I saw the answer. Then I facepalmed.

I liked Sting's little song at the end. It's cool that Jeopardy! can just have Sting come on and give them a song. Unrelated to today's game, Canary in a Coal Mine is my favorite Sting/Police song.

The clues that I missed that I want to focus on for next time are Gibbon, Sandhurst, Al Green, and ad valorem. I'm not familiar with Al Green but that seems like a gap so I'll start listening.

I've seen The Boys but didn't know Jack Quaid. I can readily see how trivia writers come across that information. An easy way is to simply look up the cast in a show and see how they're relevant to trivia. I haven't been doing that consistently but I think it will improve my scores.

Wasn't familiar with Sugarloaf Mountain in Maine and got mixed up with the mountain in Brazil. I thought guano was bat droppings instead of bird droppings and that threw me off a bit but I still guessed it.
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:16 pm I like to make "Fermi estimates" in the shower, or to bore myself to sleep - I've guesstimated the weight of the earth or the volume of weather balloons to launch in a lawn chair many times, and usually within an order of magnitude. I can NOT, however get to a position to decide if this is supposed to be kilowatts, megawatts, or kwh.
I had the same issue. I figured they weren't going for kW/MW/GW because they said it was over a year. I guessed kwh but it could have been watt-hour and I wouldn't have known. Pretty hard to know exactly what they were going for.
econgator wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:23 pm Yes, but the CC also thought "William McConqueror" was the answer to DD1...
His full name is Conqueror McConqface.
Lol.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:00 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:16 pm I like to make "Fermi estimates" in the shower, or to bore myself to sleep - I've guesstimated the weight of the earth or the volume of weather balloons to launch in a lawn chair many times, and usually within an order of magnitude. I can NOT, however get to a position to decide if this is supposed to be kilowatts, megawatts, or kwh.
I had the same issue. I figured they weren't going for kW/MW/GW because they said it was over a year. I guessed kwh but it could have been watt-hour and I wouldn't have known. Pretty hard to know exactly what they were going for.
Well, it's not like watt-hour could've been ruled wrong, five quadrillion is more than five trillion. Would have been the safe guess (I went with kwh as it felt the most familiar measurement)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Katie Couric's daughter who writes for the TV show "The Boys," if anyone is curious: Ellie Monahan
rockyboy34 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:31 pmGood show overall, but I’m surprised the SONY clue stumped everyone - we’re literally on their ground!
"Make.Believe" was Sony's slogan for only a few years, circa 10 years ago. The current slogan is "Be Moved," so if anything, that's what the contestants would have seen at Sony Pictures Studios.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

I also loved the Sting epilogue.

"Phrasing in the form of a question in SJ" is the "Obamacare individual mandate" of the game-show world.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Golf wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:56 pm If you're in Morgan's position and playing for the TS as she did, which wager do you like better, $801 or $4599?
If you assume it will be a triple stumper then $0 is the best wager. The $801 option is the more appealing of the two choices since it's closer to $0. I don't think there is a lot of use in the $801 wager. First place might bet nothing but if we ignore category strengths that's a very questionable and unlikely wager.

If you think you're over 50% to get FJ right then bet $4599. If less then bet $0 $801.

A statistically average Jeopardy! contestant is best off wagering anything less than $4600. Anywhere in the $801-$4599 range if you want.

A strong contestant should wager $6201 to cover third place.

What'd everybody think of the buzzer race? At the beginning of the game they were all furiously trying to ring in. It looked like Morgan had the advantage. Did Matt figure out the buzzer at the end or did Morgan stop trying to ring in?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:43 pm
Matt did better on his previous game show appearance winning $173K with his dad on Beat Shazam and pops maintains bragging rights since he won on J! in 2000.
Matt is a former co-worker, and he had fun live-tweeting tonight’s episode:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I don't want to be the constant negative nabob on the boards, but there were, again, two egregious errors by the judges today.

GREEN for $1600
With his partner Betty Comden, Adolph Green wrote the screenplay for this Gene Kelly musical about the silent film era

As user Woopy T mentioned earlier, Morgan adds a pretty clear "G" onto Singin' in the Rain, which should have been dinged.

GREEN for $2000
Cecil Howard Green helped transform a Dallas geophysics company into the electronics giant now known by this name

After 2 replays, Matt definitely forgets the "S" at the end of Texas Instruments.

Overall, Morgan's sole solve makes these errors near-moot, but still unacceptable IMO.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:51 pm I don't want to be the constant negative nabob on the boards, but there were, again, two egregious errors by the judges today.

GREEN for $1600
With his partner Betty Comden, Adolph Green wrote the screenplay for this Gene Kelly musical about the silent film era

As user Woopy T mentioned earlier, Morgan adds a pretty clear "G" onto Singin' in the Rain, which should have been dinged.

GREEN for $2000
Cecil Howard Green helped transform a Dallas geophysics company into the electronics giant now known by this name

After 2 replays, Matt definitely forgets the "S" at the end of Texas Instruments.

Overall, Morgan's sole solve makes these errors near-moot, but still unacceptable IMO.
I think J! has made a habit of accepting "-ing" responses for "-in'" titles for quite some time now (though not vice versa when it comes to FJ). As for t vs. ts, there's no way you can tell the difference unless the t is a breathless pop. There were people a few weeks ago who claimed a contestant said "turbulence" instead of "turbulent," and I think that in both cases the ending sound is ambiguous enough that the contestant deserves the benefit of the doubt.

edit: I made those remarks after rewatching his TI response; after posting, I looked through the responses in J! Archive to see if there were any comparable consonants at the end of anything Matt said. There were no other -ts responses, but his guess of gigawatt had a final T, so I sought it out in my recording. When he said it, he swallowed the T, like when some people (me included) pronounce "cotton" like "co'-n." So from that, I conclude that if he had meant to say "Texas Instrument," you would have heard the N hit a glottal stop with no consonant sound after it (like the second syllable in "badminton" when people like me pronounce it "bad-min'-n"). Since he did put a sound after it, I conclude from the small amount of context in how he said "gigawatt" that he must have intended a -ts ending.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

those who have actually read the james bond novels know that ian fleming's "dr. no" was the owner/operator of a guano mine on crab key.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

alan tiger wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:55 am those who have actually read the james bond novels know that ian fleming's "dr. no" was the owner/operator of a guano mine on crab key.
I read that one but have long forgotten that detail. I do remember that Dr. No had belonged to the Hip Sing tong.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

alan tiger wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:55 am those who have actually read the james bond novels know that ian fleming's "dr. no" was the owner/operator of a guano mine on crab key.
synchronicity
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I heard an s at the end of Matt’s response.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:21 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:56 pm If you're in Morgan's position and playing for the TS as she did, which wager do you like better, $801 or $4599?
If you assume it will be a triple stumper then $0 is the best wager. The $801 option is the more appealing of the two choices since it's closer to $0. I don't think there is a lot of use in the $801 wager. First place might bet nothing but if we ignore category strengths that's a very questionable and unlikely wager.

If you think you're over 50% to get FJ right then bet $4599. If less then bet $0 $801.

A statistically average Jeopardy! contestant is best off wagering anything less than $4600. Anywhere in the $801-$4599 range if you want.

A strong contestant should wager $6201 to cover third place.

What'd everybody think of the buzzer race? At the beginning of the game they were all furiously trying to ring in. It looked like Morgan had the advantage. Did Matt figure out the buzzer at the end or did Morgan stop trying to ring in?
I’d probably be labeled an average player but I am always wagering to cover someone behind me. The one exception might be if I have seen earlier games by that person and I strongly suspect they won’t be betting it all. If I think third will bet small to stay ahead of my MSBIW score, I might bet accordingly if it is a category I’m not strong in like Broadway.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Instaget FJ over here. Another day, another mystifying wager (Garron).

Did anyone else have trouble with Sting's sound? It was clearly filmed on a phone.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:53 am I heard an s at the end of Matt’s response.
It's either an s or he's practically hissing that t... :roll:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I went with Billy Elliot, figuring that actors must age out of the lead role, so there is a lot of turnover.