How Did Katie Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Katie Couric on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

3%
1%
No votes
6%
6%
13%
28%
28%
7%
6%

Total votes: 67

alietr
Site Admin

How Did Katie Do as Host?

Post by alietr »

How do you think Katie did as host?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: How Did Katie Do as Host?

Post by Bamaman »

I gave her an eight, same I gave Ken.

I wasn’t impressed the first few days and after a week I was glad we were halfway done. But she really picked up her performance this week. She showed a lot more enthusiasm and seemed to dial back the sweet big sister bit I perceived the first few days. I know she isn’t competing for the full time job but I wouldn’t have a problem if she did get it.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

8 for me as only fair since I gave Ken a 9 and Mike a 7 while having Katie in the middle in the other ranking thread.

What I wish was around was a blooper reel of screw-ups by the guest hosts and more player comments about host errors causing taping delays. The on air product has been assembled well with the hosts coming off looking good. The telling sign will be if anyone gets a second crack as the host lectern.

I think the count was three weeks for ones without hosts named yet? The powers won't invite someone back who made for longer taping days. Without inside knowledge I would think Ken is the most likeliest (and still will be after all the other guest hosts) to have the crispest 5-game day in fairly typical Trebek time.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Wednesday was the first day for me that I was OK not seeing Alex hosting.

Thank you Katie, I hope they keep you.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:31 am 8 for me as only fair since I gave Ken a 9 and Mike a 7 while having Katie in the middle in the other ranking thread.
Same here.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I gave her an eight. She's a professional tele-journalist and that helped her. She was articulate and enunciated clearly. Also I liked her personality.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Best way I can explain it for me. I felt kinda like I was in a college lecture class. I was being talked at, more than talked to. She lost her voice inflection.

My concern with any of the guest hosts is that they are so concerned about pronunciation and clarity that they lose a natural feel, and I think Couric goes here. She was not as smooth as I've seen here doing the news or doing an interview. At least she didn't seem as natural to me.

I think Trebek could have been an actor doing improv and he would have been comfortable. I really haven't seen that from anyone yet.
Last edited by Sherm on Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

4. I hated her in the first week, honestly. She got a lot better in the second week, but she still wasn't anywhere close to being a strong contender for the job. A lot of the contestant interviews for me were hard to watch. She did have good moments in almost all of her second week episodes, tho.

Ken Jennings: 9
Mike Richards: 6
Katie Couric: 4
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I had Ken at 8 and Mike at 6, so Katie slides in at about 7.8. Katie is very watchable and didn't detract from the show, so I'd be fine with having on for another week or two, or having her come back at a later date. After two weeks of Mike, I was ready to move on.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

She was awful. I’m just glad it’s over. Monday’s host can’t be any worse.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

She came off as if she was reading a teleprompter. I gave her a 4.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I liked the fact that she kept the game going and was able to balance her silly and serious sides. I'm more than happy to support any woman as host, so I wouldn't mind auditioning if she, Savannah, or Mayim becomes the new host. For me, she and Ken are close to the top spot.
Just a person who loves game shows.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

I came to these two weeks as someone who has has heard Katie Couric's name but knew nothing else other than that she is a journalist. I had never seen her before so had no idea what to expect. I felt that she was rather stiff in the first week, but relaxed more and seemed more comfortable in the role by the second week. A bit "rote" at times in her responses, but not so off-putting that I couldn't have watched her for another few weeks.

7/10; overall Ken-Katie-Mike. Mike can stay away from the lectern from now on as far as I am concerned.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:29 pm I had Ken at 8 and Mike at 6, so Katie slides in at about 7.8. Katie is very watchable and didn't detract from the show, so I'd be fine with having on for another week or two, or having her come back at a later date. After two weeks of Mike, I was ready to move on.
Returning the favor of you piggybacking on my response in the other thread by piggybacking on you here. I agree with everything. I gave both Ks an 8 with Katie a bit behind. Ken’s history and knowledge base gives him something tough to match.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Solid 8. She didn't seem nearly as engaged in the gameplay and undersold a couple of big moments, and didn't seem best at pronouncing foreign words. Those seem to be the only marks against her, as she otherwise had good personality and ad-libs, and felt believable reading the clues.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Katie looked like she was having fun, which is fine for a guest host and made me root for her. But she never seemed fully at ease in the role. I don't think she's the long-term solution.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I voted 5 times (3 x 8 / 2 x 9) in order to give Katie an 8.4 (inspired by Afret's 7.8 suggestion :)). I haven't scored the other two against this curve.

I started at 8, then thought, if she's only an 8, then what the hell would a 10 ever look like? Even an re-animated Alex isn't two points better on that scale. Changed it to a 9. Twice. Final score is an 8, and there are no 10's. For now :).

There's a lot of good comments so far in this thread, especially the ones that conform to my confirmation bias :lol:. I got a Den Mother vibe at first, but Bamaman's big sister comment is closer. I made the transition from Alex earlier with Ken J's solid performance, but I think Katie taught me to give all the upcoming hosts a shot with a clean slate.
CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:35 pm I came to these two weeks as someone who has has heard Katie Couric's name but knew nothing else other than that she is a journalist.
This was my entry point as well. Except I thought she was on one of the morning shows (like GMA), and just did puff pieces. All I really knew is that we both got colonoscopies about the same time and hers was televised and mine was only on a locally televised reverse Pay Per View.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I have really liked Katie in her other TV work. In this role she came off as so incessantly, almost militantly sweet, that it was hard to watch.

Yeah, it's necessary to have someone who is pleasant and is authentically having a good time and is not harsh when players miss stuff, and all of that. She went way, way beyond that.

Just FWIW my wife is a great deal more tolerant and less curmudgeonly than I am, and she came to the same conclusion even before I did. It would be very difficult for me to watch her long-term.