"We were looking for..."

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

"We were looking for..."

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Is there a reason that all of the guest hosts so far have leaned really hard into saying "We were looking for..." after triple-stumpers? I don't remember Alex saying that more than a very small number of times, if ever.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: "We were looking for..."

Post by mas3cf »

"This board game features a die in a plastic Pop-o-Matic container."

(boop boop boop)

"Oooh, we were looking for Trouble."
goongas

Post by goongas »

Someone on the staff must be telling them to say it.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Because they aren't as good at hosting Jeopardy as Trebek was.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

It's a little tiresome, but I think it shows how hard it is for the host to think on their feet while also keeping their focus on the clues and gameplay. And another subtle way that Alex was a master at what he did. (I seem to recall Ken doing it less, but I may be wrong.)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

It sounds like a hedge against the chance that the contestant has offered a different correct answer.
I'm smart and I want respect.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

It's probably easier to remember and lean on one phrase for that situation, even if you're comfortable in front of the camera.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

goongas wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:37 pm Someone on the staff must be telling them to say it.
Yup. They’re all coming out of the same guest host boot camp

It still irks me that they read the scores as “dollars”. It’s superfluous and sounds jarring since Alex never said it
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:26 pm Is there a reason that all of the guest hosts so far have leaned really hard into saying "We were looking for..." after triple-stumpers? I don't remember Alex saying that more than a very small number of times, if ever.

Alex used to pretty much reserve it for when someone had a response that was deemed correct but wasn't the one they expected. I don't know why they're pushing the guest hosts to use it, it's getting old.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:46 am It still irks me that they read the scores as “dollars”. It’s superfluous and sounds jarring since Alex never said it
You're right. He said "dullers".
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:26 pm Is there a reason that all of the guest hosts so far have leaned really hard into saying "We were looking for..." after triple-stumpers? I don't remember Alex saying that more than a very small number of times, if ever.
If you ever played Jeopardy on the Wii. You'll hear Trebek say it pretty much every time the correct answer is not given.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

I personally hate "we were looking for" and I commented on it a few weeks ago when Ken was saying it (but not in its own topic). They're really needless filler words that waste time - just say the answer, er, question. We know the host is giving us the correct answer - we don't need to be told that what he's about to say next is the correct answer.

I've been catching up on The Chase as well as watching Master Minds and in the speed rounds (and let's face it, Jeopardy, other than FJ, are two long speed rounds), Brooke just says the answer. Imagine how much less would happen if she preceded every answer with "we were looking for" or similar filler words.