Tuesday, March 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

Knew the correct years, so FJ was an easy get.

I think Dr. Oz is doing a fine job, considering his inexperience. He should be fairly polished after his turn is finished.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:32 pm I always remember the first LA Olympics because both the winter and summer games were in the U.S. that year with the winter games being in Lake Placid.

I don't recall ever hearing the idiom "hung the moon" before tonight.
One of my most touching “dad” moments was our six-year-old writing a story about how her dad hung the moon. The tears flowed freely and happily.

I thought FJ had some TOM - it’s not unusual trivia knowledge that the LA Coliseum was built for the first LA Olympics, and it was before the 1936 Berlin Games. That makes 1932 a not-too-random guess. That the second one was in 1984 should be more familiar, especially when connected to the 1980 US boycott of the Moscow Games, and the subsequent 1984 Soviet boycott of the LA Games.

Not easy - but not exactly WECIB. Somewhat surprised it was a TS.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I recall viewing and photographing the Olympic flame passing in front of the high school from which I graduated. Once I recalled that other anchoring point things fell into place.
OCSam
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

cthulhu wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:55 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:32 pm I always remember the first LA Olympics because both the winter and summer games were in the U.S. that year with the winter games being in Lake Placid.

I don't recall ever hearing the idiom "hung the moon" before tonight.
One of my most touching “dad” moments was our six-year-old writing a story about how her dad hung the moon. The tears flowed freely and happily.

I thought FJ had some TOM - it’s not unusual trivia knowledge that the LA Coliseum was built for the first LA Olympics, and it was before the 1936 Berlin Games. That makes 1932 a not-too-random guess. That the second one was in 1984 should be more familiar, especially when connected to the 1980 US boycott of the Moscow Games, and the subsequent 1984 Soviet boycott of the LA Games.

Not easy - but not exactly WECIB. Somewhat surprised it was a TS.
That's not a TOM, it's also not anything like WECIB, maybe you're confusing initialisms and meant YEKIOYD? 1984 is the easy part of this clue, 1932 is the hard part. But you just have to know the L.A. Olympics were in 1932. Indeed it's not the most obscure fact in the world but it's on the hard-ish side for a sports clue, and there certainly is no TOM. A TOM would be something like "Herbert Hoover did not attend the games as the U.S. Preisdent traveling cross-country during a Depression may have been seen as wasteful."
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Here's a better hint that puts a little life into this clue and gives some way in for those who don't know every Olympic host by year. Not sure exactly how best to write it within the FJ character limit but here's one draft:

The "City of Angels" hosted the Olympics twice, the second time this many years after the first

becomes

The two Los Angeles Summer Olympic occurrred this many years apart. The first was missed by several countries due to a worldwide Depression, and the second due to a communist boycott.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:09 pm For the clue, The Inklings, including Tolkien & Lewis, were known to "draught" at the Eagle & Child Pub in this city, why was draught in quotes?
To emphasize the double-meaning pun (drink/write).
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:09 pm Thank you.
You're welcome.
floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:42 pm I like how Oz used Alex's famous catchphrase, "under a minute left."
That's no more a catchphrase than "Let's get back into this" or "Make your wagers in this category".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 pm
ACW wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:32 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:11 pm I don’t think it’s a bad question, but it is a bad Final Jeopardy question.

There is no perfect way to figure it out other than just knowing it, but if you recall that the Berlin games were in 1936 and WW2 canceled the 1940 and 1944 games, it gives you a fewer options to work with.
Maybe, but yikes. 1984 I think most people know, but I don't think I knew 1932.
Meanwhile, I started out at 1980 for some reason...36? No...that was Berlin. 32 feels right! 80-32=48! And then I relaxed... :(
Just tell yourself you thought Lake Placid is the City of Angels and you have the correct number.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'll just pile on and say it was exactly the kind of FJ I don't enjoy seeing. Nothing interesting whatsoever about it. And Dr. Oz got even worse, not better, in my book. Ugh.
JeopardyMom
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyMom »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:08 am I'll just pile on and say it was exactly the kind of FJ I don't enjoy seeing. Nothing interesting whatsoever about it. And Dr. Oz got even worse, not better, in my book. Ugh.
Agreed re: Dr. Oz. It feels like he's trying too hard and it's a little uncomfortable to watch, quite honestly.

I also was shocked that "brotherly love" was accepted. I expected to see an adjustment in scores after the next break, and was disappointed. That's a bad precedent.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Got so many wrong today! Not that I usually get a lot right, just seemed foggy tonight.

I knew the 1932 LA Games, but couldn't place the more recent one.
I wish I had thought of it the way twelvefootboy did! Nice work.

My wife loves to tell how the Greek has Jesus and Peter's three-question Q&A on 'love' has two different words for the English 'love'; agape and phileo. So, she called the answer as wrong right away. I don't think the crew knew that as there is no distinction in English translations of the Bible.
Thanks to BrigadierSolo13 for the <it's not called Agapedelphia> :)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:11 am Here's a better hint that puts a little life into this clue and gives some way in for those who don't know every Olympic host by year. Not sure exactly how best to write it within the FJ character limit but here's one draft:

The "City of Angels" hosted the Olympics twice, the second time this many years after the first

becomes

The two Los Angeles Summer Olympic occurrred this many years apart. The first was missed by several countries due to a worldwide Depression, and the second due to a communist boycott.
As a clue/question writer myself, this is really well done.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:59 am
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:11 am Here's a better hint that puts a little life into this clue and gives some way in for those who don't know every Olympic host by year. Not sure exactly how best to write it within the FJ character limit but here's one draft:

becomes

As a clue/question writer myself, this is really well done.
Why does making it easier make it better?
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

becomes

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:59 am As a clue/question writer myself, this is really well done.
davey wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:17 am Why does making it easier make it better?
It doesn't make it easier, it spoon feeds the right answer to anybody with 5 or more brain cells. You don't even have to know a thing about the Olympics to answer correctly. And is there room on the screen for a 31 word clue?

Is it a clunky clue? Definitely. But dammit, sometimes you just have to know stuff on Jeopardy. If not, perhaps you don't deserve to win.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:51 am

becomes

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:59 am As a clue/question writer myself, this is really well done.
davey wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:17 am Why does making it easier make it better?
It doesn't make it easier, it spoon feeds the right answer to anybody with 5 or more brain cells. You don't even have to know a thing about the Olympics to answer correctly.
That's still a pretty tough clue in my estimation. If you know nothing about the Olympics you've got to determine which one occurred at the height of the depression and you have to know which one the Soviets boycotted, then do the math. It's still not an easy clue.

OTOH I'm okay with the occasional "you know it or you don't" FJ.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

As Golf stated, it doesn't make the clue easier. The point is to "breathe life" and give accessibility. It's about giving us playing along reason to learn the fact and possibly research and learn more. The FJ written gave no significance to that precise amount of time required for a correct response, so why should I learn it? To regurgitate it in an attempt to impress somebody? That will succeed as well as this clue did.

The way jeff6286 wrote the clue, we've been given interesting facts and at least some correlation between the 2 events other than the fact that they took place in the same city. It makes me want to learn more about how each nation dealt with sending athletes overseas and spending money on athletic programs while suffering through economic downturn. I'd like to know more about which nations boycotted in '84, the politics behind it, and how that affected the competition.

In learning more about these 2 events, we will remember the 52 year span between them by proxy, which is a lot more interesting than just a number with no substance.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:37 am
As Golf stated, it's not about making the clue easier. It's about giving us playing along reason to learn the fact and possibly research and learn more. The FJ written gave no significance to that precise amount of time required for a correct response, so why should I learn it? To regurgitate it in an attempt to impress somebody? That will succeed as well as this clue did.

The way jeff6286 wrote the clue, we've been given interesting facts and at least some correlation between the 2 events other than the fact that they took place in the same city. It makes me want to learn more about how each nation dealt with sending athletes overseas and spending money on athletic programs while suffering through economic downturn. I'd like to know more about which nations boycotted in '84, the politics behind it, and how that affected the competition.

In learning more about these 2 events, we will remember the 52 year span between them by proxy, which is a lot more interesting than just a number with no substance.
That's all very inspiring but what you'll learn in the future is not the point of J! As I said, I have little interest in the Olympics and I missed the clue (by not thinking clearly, not because I never knew the facts), but I recognize that host cities have been a part of J! lore forever.
I hope you realize Golf was insulting the clue worse than I did... :roll:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Golf wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:51 am And is there room on the screen for a 31 word clue?
He said it himself, it was a rough draft and it needed to be trimmed down.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

davey wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:50 am I hope you realize Golf was insulting the clue worse than I did... :roll:
I did, and as he responded first, I turned his own words into the start of my own argument.
davey wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:50 am That's all very inspiring but what you'll learn in the future is not the point of J!
If that is how you feel about trivia TV shows, then so be it. "The point of J!" may be different to others.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:02 pm "The point of J!" may be different to others.
I'll make a very Golf-like remark-
Not to competitors.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:28 am
Golf wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:51 am

becomes

It doesn't make it easier, it spoon feeds the right answer to anybody with 5 or more brain cells. You don't even have to know a thing about the Olympics to answer correctly.
That's still a pretty tough clue in my estimation. If you know nothing about the Olympics you've got to determine which one occurred at the height of the depression and you have to know which one the Soviets boycotted, then do the math. It's still not an easy clue.

OTOH I'm okay with the occasional "you know it or you don't" FJ.
Some of us were around for the '84 games (I was reading the Wall Street Journal a lot at the time, and I remember it being covered as a business story because it made money), so there's that. And in a moment's reflection I'd realize that there was only time for 2 Olympics in the 30s and the one in Berlin was later.
So I would have found this much easier...