Wednesday, March 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:28 pm
Robert K S wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:52 pm
Got FJ! on an educated guess, but this MBA has never heard of the "effect" before.
Would have been pretty unfamiliar to me as well except it had showed up with nearly the identical clueing in the New York Times crossword just last Friday, 3/19:

2-Down
___ effect, bias toward products that consumers assemble themselves
Give me the four letter requirement, and maybe even vowel/consonant hints, and I get this easily. IKEA crossed my mind, but I NHO the "Ikea effect" in any context - promotional, academic, or otherwise. So I moved on because I would have remembered it. Thanks RobertKS for the confirmation bias :). I suppose the "Ikea effect" is a thing, but I wouldn't apply it to buying knocked down furniture that you build into an inferior version of itself. The designs and stylings are kind of clever and cool, but those toggle screws into particle board - ugh. At one time I would have built a refractor telescope where you grind the mirror yourself, but I didn't have the coin to even get the kit. You really did save big money, but you also put in 40+ hours of hand lapping/polishing.

Tough ending for Jon. Dr. Oz is somewhat invisible to me, which is the way it should be. He even managed to explain the "iliac" TS without getting smirky as an MD.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:55 pm
Wow, there was a lot of California-specific clues in this game:

$200 and $400 in I LOVE A PARADE
$400 and $2000 in OTHER WALKS OF FAME
$2000 in BODIES OF WATER FILED UNDER B

Is it just me or is that more than usual?
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Came in with a Coryat significantly below my average, but for that reason, I'm not kicking myself over it.

rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

2 clues related to SoCal. As a native here, that was easily gettable. I too had no clue on FJ!.

8/10 (B)
I’ve made a new life over here.

https://tripleatpir.wordpress.com/

Xu Donym
Contributor

Post by Xu Donym »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:26 pm
I'm not watching "Dr." Oz's episodes, but I will still play along with FJ!

I was completely unable to process "increased value of a product to a consumer whose own labor is needed". Needed for what? The clue just felt incomplete to me and I couldn't even figure out what was being said at all.
Perhaps a less clumsy wording, but still retaining all of the writers' desired elements, might have looked something like this?

The name of this famous business "effect" -- in which consumers ascribe more value to a product on which they labored -- comes from this company founded in 1943.

Clearly, the clue was written with substandard attention to English grammar. Was the effect really named "for" -- for the benefit of, or at the request of -- the company, as the clue indicates? If so, IKEA cannot be the correct answer. And, since IKEA offers an assembly service, their consumers' own labor is not actually needed -- a fact irrelevant to the effect but made relevant by the poorly worded clue. Practically every clause of the clue could be misinterpreted in one way or another, and the clue really only makes sense in retrospect once you understand the context of the answer the writers intended. A tremendous amount of extraneous cruft and distraction was packed into what could have been a very straightforward -- but just as challenging -- clue.

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I had some trouble figuring out that oddly constructed sentence in the FJ clue. But once I did, IKEA came up as a good guess to make, even though like several on here have said, I've never heard the phrase "IKEA effect" before.

Hm... Does my above sentence equal the awkwardness of the FJ clue?

Golf

Post by Golf »

floridagator wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:16 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:55 pm
Wow, there was a lot of California-specific clues in this game:

$200 and $400 in I LOVE A PARADE
$400 and $2000 in OTHER WALKS OF FAME
$2000 in BODIES OF WATER FILED UNDER B

Is it just me or is that more than usual?
Big Bear is not a nationally-known Resort destination. It's mostly people from LA that go there.
Big Bear was where Sarah Connor’s mother was hiding out before being killed and then mimicked by the Terminator. Can’t say if I’ve been exposed to it otherwise, but thanks to that fiction it was an easy $2k.

Sometimes it’s hilarious why you know trivia answers.

I probably read the FJ clue 7 times before being able to parse out what they were leading to with labor.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:47 pm
Never been to an IKEA store and never had a desire to do so.
Don't like Swedish meatballs? The stores can be fun even if you're not planning to buy any of the assemble-it-yourself furniture.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 3/4 on big clues. My big clue miss came from saying Cherry Blossom instead of just Cherry. I thought Cherry Blossom was a type of tree. That's the flower on the tree and not the tree itself. They've been very generous accepting things recently but I'll mark it as wrong. Most of my furniture is from Ikea and that was an instaget. I've heard of the Ikea effect before but I'm not sure where. I once went to a real furniture store and I was shocked at how expensive it was. If you don't like assembling things then ok you won't like Ikea - but their instructions are remarkably clear and easy to follow, they're exemplary.

Amal's whistling was really impressive. I can whistle poorly and definitely couldn't do the trills that he pulled off.

Missed Queen Rania and said Queen Noor. Now I know the difference. Missed with Knights of Columbus as well. Said absorptive instead of absorbent but they're both fine. Missed Big Bear. I think of it as a ski resort and not a lake.

Missed Annihilation and Sally Hawkins from The Shape of Water even though I've seen both the movies.

It's surprising that Cuban Missile Crisis and Hip Bone were triple stumpers.

I've tried to ask advocates of the policy how to reconcile Thomas Malthus and Universal Basic Income but so far no luck. It's weird that I've encountered several people who know of one or the other but never both.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Wayne Newton, Knights of Labor, mensch, Olav/Harald /Norway, and the Beaufort Sea.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:04 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:00 pm
Nothing came to me on FJ. Wondered what kind of company starts in the middle of World War II.
I got FJ, but if you had asked me beforehand, I would have guessed IKEA was founded in the 1980s or 90s.
Pretty much the same, but I would have thought '70s. I do know that the Swedish pronunciation is more like "E-kay-ya."

I may never recover from seeing that photo of Wayne Newton.

Jon looked a lot like Niles Crane from Frasier.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:00 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:47 pm
Never been to an IKEA store and never had a desire to do so.
Don't like Swedish meatballs? The stores can be fun even if you're not planning to buy any of the assemble-it-yourself furniture.
I'd have to drive 80 miles to get to one, so I too shall pass.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Closest IKEA is over 100 miles away + didn't know the company was that old + never heard of that effect = no chance on FJ

(I did do that crossword, but don't recall that clue in it. It's possible I didn't see it because of using across clues only in that section.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

davey

Post by davey »

Holy Carrara! Never heard of the Ikea Effect, and though it makes sense in retrospect, I wasn't zeroing in on it from all the international businesses it could have been.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No IKEA experience for me although Google maps indicates the one in Emeryville is 14.4 miles away.

No, that does not mean:
Spoiler

davey

Post by davey »

Xu Donym wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:54 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:26 pm
I'm not watching "Dr." Oz's episodes, but I will still play along with FJ!

I was completely unable to process "increased value of a product to a consumer whose own labor is needed". Needed for what? The clue just felt incomplete to me and I couldn't even figure out what was being said at all.
Perhaps a less clumsy wording, but still retaining all of the writers' desired elements, might have looked something like this?

The name of this famous business "effect" -- in which consumers ascribe more value to a product on which they labored -- comes from this company founded in 1943.

Clearly, the clue was written with substandard attention to English grammar. Was the effect really named "for" -- for the benefit of, or at the request of -- the company, as the clue indicates? If so, IKEA cannot be the correct answer. And, since IKEA offers an assembly service, their consumers' own labor is not actually needed -- a fact irrelevant to the effect but made relevant by the poorly worded clue. Practically every clause of the clue could be misinterpreted in one way or another, and the clue really only makes sense in retrospect once you understand the context of the answer the writers intended. A tremendous amount of extraneous cruft and distraction was packed into what could have been a very straightforward -- but just as challenging -- clue.
They're not going to put 2 "this"es in a clue - that's gotta be more confusing than the common expression "named for." If the original clue feels unfinished, maybe add the words "to complete it."

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I agree that IKEA is worth going to even if you don't think you'd buy anything there. You might surprise yourself and it is an experience. There's really nothing else quite like it.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:46 pm
I agree that IKEA is worth going to even if you don't think you'd buy anything there. You might surprise yourself and it is an experience. There's really nothing else quite like it.
The first time and maybe every year or so it is pretty cool, like going to a zoo. It is no longer a tourist attraction to us, but we do enjoy the cafeteria for the really good food at a good price. The design ideas and the clean Euro-looks are interesting. It does smack of college dorm furniture. I think they have Americanized the assembly steps over time - I think in the 80's they were like escape room puzzles. You had to inventory and lay every item on it's description and go exactly in order. More lately I can assemble them without even looking at the picture (almost).

Nothing will ever get me to like the rat-maze. You must go through the entire store to reach the exit. There is one hidden portal about halfway through if you can find it. Oh, and I like the rugs and wall art, although we have no walls, only windows.

btw, twelvefootgirl made the same comment about Niles Crane.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

DBear wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:30 pm
DDs: :( (Gomorrah)
The Yeats poem gets better every time I read it.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/ ... ond-coming
Spoiler
The Second Coming
BY WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

I believe this FJ was also a recent Learned League, which I credit with the boost toward a solve.

It worked out fine, but I think I go $5300 from second there.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan

Golf

Post by Golf »

Picked Off wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:27 am
It worked out fine, but I think I go $5300 from second there.
That would offer a tie to 3rd place. But you realize of course that barring a Clavin from the lead you have zero chance of winning with that wager with a wrong answer. With that logic you’ve got infinitely better winning chances wagering no more than $899 where you can win if wrong.

If you bet on yourself, the correct wager here is everything from 2nd. The leader does not always cover and you’ve got more money when you win.

Golf

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:11 am
Nothing will ever get me to like the rat-maze. You must go through the entire store to reach the exit. There is one hidden portal about halfway through if you can find it
Or perhaps there are multiple hidden portals and you just haven’t found them all? :lol: