Friday, March 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Friday, March 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 3/4 on big clues. Missed Gigi/Gigli and tried to guess Runaway Bride and Runaway Bridge. A few problems with that, first is that Runaway Bridge is not a movie, although it should be, and Runaway Bride has Julia Roberts and Richard Gere - not Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck. Wasn't sure if they were asking for the year of the 13 colonies or for the 14th state but managed to guess right. Came up with Muir right away and was >80% confident.

Note for the archive, I don't think Lisa said "Dostoyevsky" like it currently says. I think that would be accepted. I think she missed the "t" and I heard Doysoyevsky. I think that was the problem. I tried to guess Tolstoy but would have gotten it on the rebound. Tolstoy's death is more famous but the year pinned it well.

Didn't get 93 million miles in an AU but maybe if it was multiple choice. I was too slow on incontrovertible & O (I pulled Oz right away).

Saw "The Butler" but definitely couldn't pull Liev Schreiber. I looked up his Wiki page and I remember he played Sabretooth. Sabretooth always stands out to me as an example of writing without a lot of effort. "Wolverine needs a foil character nemesis? Ok, let's give him the same powers but make him slightly different and a bad guy."

Jurassic World Evolutions is a Roller Coaster Tycoon type game where you create and display dinosaurs and manage an amusement park. Sometimes the dinosaurs escape and eat the guests. I've been nailing all the dinosaur categories ever since I played that game.

The pictures of Bernese Poodles online are adorable. I would have said St. Bernard. Wikipedia says Bernese dogs are named after Bern. Bernese and St. Bernard's don't seem to have any specific relation to each other even though they both start with Bern and both originated from the Alps.

Some clues that I missed that I'll try to get next time are Liev Schreiber, 93 million miles in an AU, the Middle Passage, The Four Questions, and Catfish Row.
pompetti wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:16 pm Is it a triple stumper if initially ruled correct and then changed at a break? When Lisa mangled Dostoevsky I was ready get it on a rebound.
I don't know the answer to your question but you played great and I had fun watching. Tough competition though.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Since she was having trouble getting it out, and didn't transpose any syllables, I would have let Lisa keep her $1600. It sounds like she said Doistey-evski instead of Dostoy-evski. I'm sympathetic to struggling with a Russian name...I wonder if her giggling about it made it worse in the judges' eyes?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Muir was a WECIB?, but it seems a bit strange to pick someone who spent the first eleven years of his life in Scotland and only became a U.S. citizen when he was in his 60s (and in the 20th century) in the category "19th Century Americans."

For the record, Ansel Adams is very much a 20th Century American. He was born in 1902 (and died in 1984).
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:05 pm

Note for the archive, I don't think Lisa said "Dostoyevsky" like it currently says. I think that would be accepted. I think she missed the "t" and I heard Doysoyevsky. I think that was the problem. I tried to guess Tolstoy but would have gotten it on the rebound. Tolstoy's death is more famous but the year pinned it well.

Didn't get 93 million miles in an AU but maybe if it was multiple choice. I was too slow on incontrovertible & O (I pulled Oz right away).

Saw "The Butler" but definitely couldn't pull Liev Schreiber. I looked up his Wiki page and I remember he played Sabretooth. Sabretooth always stands out to me as an example of writing without a lot of effort. "Wolverine needs a foil character nemesis? Ok, let's give him the same powers but make him slightly different and a bad guy."
You're probably right that leaving out the t in her last utterance of the name is what did her in, but she did use it in her other attempts, so I would have been lenient, since it seemed like a tongue, not a brain error...
I made a similar mistake to Lisa's on the "Butler" clue, overlooking that "Ray Donovan" was the role, not just the title, in considering a response. Never saw the movie, but Jon Voight seemed plausible LBJ casting...Too old, I suppose, and unlikely to be cast for other reasons, probably, but it seemed good in the moment.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:07 pm Since she was having trouble getting it out, and didn't transpose any syllables, I would have let Lisa keep her $1600. It sounds like she said Doistey-evski instead of Dostoy-evski. I'm sympathetic to struggling with a Russian name...I wonder if her giggling about it made it worse in the judges' eyes?
I distinctly remember hearing a 'sh' sound in there, like 'doishtoie...' or some such
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:21 pm That photo they used of the Bernese Mountain Dog didn't look anything like the breed to me. I'm not sure they didn't screw the pooch on that one.
You already edited your post because you realize they showed a picture of a Bernedoodle and not a Bernese but I think you might have a point.

I think I found another picture of the same dog. They use a picture of it on a pet website: https://www.animalkingdomaz.com/breed/bernedoodle/

The collar matches. The website says its a Bernedoodle but all the other pictures of Bernedoodles look different.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:29 pm
davey wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:07 pm Since she was having trouble getting it out, and didn't transpose any syllables, I would have let Lisa keep her $1600. It sounds like she said Doistey-evski instead of Dostoy-evski. I'm sympathetic to struggling with a Russian name...I wonder if her giggling about it made it worse in the judges' eyes?
I distinctly remember hearing a 'sh' sound in there, like 'doishtoie...' or some such
Yeah, that's true, but that sounds kind of Russian to me...heck, it sounds pretty American...

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:29 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:21 pm That photo they used of the Bernese Mountain Dog didn't look anything like the breed to me. I'm not sure they didn't screw the pooch on that one.
You already edited your post because you realize they showed a picture of a Bernedoodle and not a Bernese but I think you might have a point.

I think I found another picture of the same dog. They use a picture of it on a pet website: https://www.animalkingdomaz.com/breed/bernedoodle/

The collar matches. The website says its a Bernedoodle but all the other pictures of Bernedoodles look different.
Yes, I realized my mistake. I totally missed the part that it was a Berner crossed with a poodle.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I knew who they wanted for FJ, but the best I could do is "four letter name that starts with M _ _ _.
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:34 pm I got Muir right away. I am nonplussed by the other responses. Ansel Adams was a photographer! Zebulon Pike was killed in the War of 1812.
I'm competely plussed by the responses - they were western outdoor people. Sometimes people don't know the answer. Pretend you NHO Muir. Now write down a name, any name. Oh, and you have 30 seconds. But you don't, you already lost 20 seconds. And you're on TV. And that think music is blasting. And the pen doesn't work for spit. How about some empathy?
Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:23 pm And is distance to the sun that obscure? Bottom row today and one a million dollar question from Regis.
I can't think why it would be well known, although everyone has probably seen it in school and forgot it after the test. I learned it from Eugene the Jeep in a Popeye cartoon as a child, but that just started my nerdhood. I'd bet that the distance to the moon is even lesser known, even though we have been there.
pompetti wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:16 pm Is it a triple stumper if initially ruled correct and then changed at a break? When Lisa mangled Dostoevsky I was ready get it on a rebound.
Finally we have another player on the board! It's been a while, I think. Were you guy playing slow pitch or fast pitch? The latter died out here about 40 years ago, and our slow pitch leagues dissipated about 20 years ago with guys aging out and young adults not following their parents into organized league sports. I know this should be asked elsewhere, but you played this game and it's your damn thread as far as I'm concerned :lol:. Nice game, and a tough opponent. I'm sure you will never forget your grab for the brass ring.
FWIW, they shouldn't have dinged Lisa for obvious tongue twister. Are they going to reverse answers that say "real-la-tor" or "nuculear"?

Dr. Oz has represented well. Tonight I did pick up on the frequent "we were going for" phrase, even when there was no answer. Obviously there was some coaching to use it as a safe phrase to reject wrong answers.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The name rings a very faint bell after the fact, but no way was I getting this one in :30.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Credit where credit is due: nice job by Dr. Oz to tie Susan's correct FJ response to her interview topic of visiting national parks.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Living in CA helped with FJ. John Muir's also depicted on our 2005 state quarter, and the John Muir National Historic Site is in Martinez, CA (also birthplace of Joe DiMaggio).
Attachments
muir.jpg
muir.jpg (16.95 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'd say by definition, if a correct answer was not given on the show, it's a triple stumper (as opposed to a stand-and-stare when no one buzzes in). It's impossible to know that someone would have known the answer given the chance.

Sorry it didn't work out better for you, Paul.

I thought of Muir and Adams, dismissed both, and went with Richter as the only geologist I could think of (the timing is pretty far off, but that wasn't a fact I would know anyway).
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

During the interviews, when Oz said Susan's hometown of Portland, Maine was "a stone's throw" from Paul's hometown of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, I wondered if he was confusing it with the much-closer Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

I got FJ but am a little surprised nobody guessed John C. Fremont.
Volante

Post by Volante »

nserven wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:35 am During the interviews, when Oz said Susan's hometown of Portland, Maine was "a stone's throw" from Paul's hometown of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, I wondered if he was confusing it with the much-closer Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

I mean, depends who's throwing the stone? Hafthor Bjornsson could probably cover that distance.

Wonder which two different hometowns in the same game were the closest? Added difficulty: which three?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

nserven wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:35 am During the interviews, when Oz said Susan's hometown of Portland, Maine was "a stone's throw" from Paul's hometown of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, I wondered if he was confusing it with the much-closer Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
I already said that
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 pm
I've noticed this too. Lots of people saying "shtrength" for example. I always pegged it as sort of a Southern California thing, but I could be wrong about that. The thread suggests I am.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Volante wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:26 am

I mean, depends who's throwing the stone? Hafthor Bjornsson could probably cover that distance.

Wonder which two different hometowns in the same game were the closest? Added difficulty: which three?
Probably a recent show with 3 contestants all from L.A. area towns?
Volante

Post by Volante »

Woppy T wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:45 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:26 am

Probably a recent show with 3 contestants all from L.A. area towns?
Ahh, but lately they've been using originally from, not currently in.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Only missed Liev Schreiber of all clues.
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni